Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No More CW  (Read 1575 times)
KC4IVG

Ignore
« on: December 15, 2006, 05:55:15 PM »

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-269012A1.doc

Or

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-269012A1.pdf

KC4IVG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 06:04:56 PM »

No more CW tests for Amateurs in the US.

I'm ordering a new key anyway..!!
KC4IVG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 06:12:24 PM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:         NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
December 15, 2006   Chelsea Fallon:  (202) 418-7991

FCC MODIFIES AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE RULES,
ELIMINATING MORSE CODE EXAM REQUIREMENTS AND
ADDRESSING ARRL PETITION FOR RECONSIDERATION

Washington, D.C. – Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted a Report and Order and Order on Reconsideration (Order) that modifies the rules for the Amateur Radio Service by revising the examination requirements for obtaining a General Class or Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator license and revising the operating privileges for Technician Class licensees.  In addition, the Order resolves a petition filed by the American Radio Relay League, Inc. (ARRL) for partial reconsideration of an FCC Order on amateur service rules released on October 10, 2006.

The current amateur service operator license structure contains three classes of amateur radio operator licenses:  Technician Class, General Class, and Amateur Extra Class.  General Class and Amateur Extra Class licensees are permitted to operate in Amateur bands below 30 MHz, while the introductory Technician Class licensees are only permitted to operate in bands above 30 MHz.  Prior to today’s action, the FCC, in accordance with international radio regulations, required applicants for General Class and Amateur Extra Class operator licenses to pass a five words-per-minute Morse code examination.  Today’s Order eliminates that requirement for General and Amateur Extra licensees.  This change reflects revisions to international radio regulations made at the International Telecommunication Union’s 2003 World Radio Conference (WRC-03), which authorized each country to determine whether to require that individuals demonstrate Morse code proficiency in order to qualify for an amateur radio license with transmitting privileges on frequencies below 30 MHz.  This change eliminates an unnecessary regulatory burden that may discourage current amateur radio operators from advancing their skills and participating more fully in the benefits of amateur radio.

Today’s Order also revises the operating privileges for Technician Class licensees by eliminating a disparity in the operating privileges for the Technician Class and Technician Plus Class licensees.  Technician Class licensees are authorized operating privileges on all amateur frequencies above 30 MHz.  The Technician Plus Class license, which is an operator license class that existed prior the FCC’s simplification of the amateur license structure in 1999 and was grandfathered after that time, authorized operating privileges on all amateur frequencies above 30 MHz, as well as frequency segments in four HF bands (below 30 MHz) after the successful completion of a Morse code examination.  With today’s elimination of the Morse code exam requirements, the FCC concluded that the disparity between the operating privileges of Technician Class licensees and Technician Plus Class licensees should not be retained.  Therefore, the FCC, in today’s action, afforded Technician and Technician Plus licensees identical operating privileges.    

Finally, today’s Order resolved a petition filed by the ARRL for partial reconsideration of an FCC Order released on October 10, 2006 (FCC 06-149).  In this Order, the FCC authorized amateur stations to transmit voice communications on additional frequencies in certain amateur service bands, including the 75 meter (m) band, which is authorized only for certain wideband voice and image communications.  The ARRL argued that the 75 m band should not have been expanded below 3635 kHz, in order to protect automatically controlled digital stations operating in the 3620-3635 kHz portion of the 80 m band.  The FCC concluded that these stations can be protected by providing alternate spectrum in the 3585-3600 kHz frequency segment.

Action by the Commission on December 15, 2006, by Report and Order and Order on Reconsideration.  Chairman Martin and Commissioners Copps, Adelstein, Tate, and McDowell.  

For additional information, contact William Cross at (202) 418-0691 or William.Cross@fcc.gov.

WT Docket Nos. 04-140 and 05-235.

– FCC –

News and other information about the Federal Communications Commission
is available at www.fcc.gov
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 06:17:18 PM »

Yup, I didn't believe it until I went to the FCC's website itself, and then to ARRL.  This ain't no joke.

None of the websites like this one has really mentioned it.  QRZ doesn't have anything posted as I post this.  Nor does eHam, except for a couple of threads like this one.

Put on your asbestos suits, everyone.  It's going to get HOT in here REAL quick.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »

BTW, Ernie, you've got the right attitude.  This has NOTHING to do with CW dying.  It will remain alive and well.
K5CQB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 06:55:39 PM »

Yup no kidding I am about to go work some CW right now.  Not gonna slow me a bit.

K5CQB
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »

hi,

CW forever !!!

just the testing will be history, not CW !

I like cw.  

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/12/15/104/?nc=1

I have numorse on one of my old laptops,
came home from work and my daughters had some friends
over the house, anyway, they all using numorse to
'play' the morse code games !

they all think cw is COOL.  Five young pups that
will enjoy using cw soon.... (two are my kids)

73 james
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 10:22:52 PM »

Look at the bright side. Now you don't have to be burdened with learning code at the painful slow rate of 5 wpm. Learn it at a usable rate - 20-25 WPM using the Koch method. You will never have to worry about the plateau at 10 wpm and never have to worry about slowly building your speed.

Long live CW!
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 11:31:34 PM »

Remember folks SKN new year's
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 12:35:35 AM »

just got done checking out the ARRL website. I had to read it a few times because I couldn't believe my eyes. It actually said that the FCC is dropping the code requierment. I'm not sure whether I'm happy, or sad. I'm happy because I can be on HF now. I'm kinda sad though because I saw passing the Element 1 exam as a kind of right of passage or something.

But here is a little bit to think about. The FCC said yes, we are getting rid of the code requierement, but they also said that techs only pick up the tech plus privilages, meaning that with the exception of 10 meters, the rest of the bands with tech plus privilages won't really get much more traffic, except for a few brave "no-codes" (I'll try to be one of them). You still have to pass the Elements 3 and 4 to be able to have full range of the bands. As far as voice is concerned, their is only a 200 khz slice that will see a pickup in traffic.  It also appears to be an additional 80 khz for non-cw digital modes.  So, it's not really that much of an impact.  The only way I can see it being bad is if the FCC would automaticly upgrade all the novices, techs, and tech pluses up to general, which I hope doesn't happen.

This is just kind of my two cents

73's and hope to talk to you all soon on the HF bands (CW or otherwise)

Joel
kc9atj

p.s. If there are parts of this that don't make sence, it is because I writing this at 3:30 in the morning after working 8 hours.

p.p.s  Does anybody know how this will affect CEPT agreements i.e. U.S. amateurs in europe?
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 06:33:35 AM »

To:  KC9ATJ

You can always work towards the ARRL certificates of code proficiency.  It is very satisfying to earn these awards.  Since it requires solid copy AND is copied off on-air transmissions, it can be more challenging than passing the code test.  See the ARRL website for details.
OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 11:15:05 AM »

"The FCC said yes, we are getting rid of the code requierement, but they also said that techs only pick up the tech plus privilages, meaning that with the exception of 10 meters, the rest of the bands with tech plus privilages won't really get much more traffic, except for a few brave "no-codes" (I'll try to be one of them). You still have to pass the Elements 3 and 4 to be able to have full range of the bands."

Big deal.  All the NCT has to do when this is finalized is memorize enough answer to pass the easy General written exam; just like they did for their Tech License.  I would recommend any NCT who wants to earn their General go out a soon as possible and take the element one exam. The code probably won't be dropped until about February, so you still have time to actually earn your license.  After that you can only receive a welfare General entitlement license.
W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 05:16:57 PM »

I wonder how long it will be before the FCC and the ARRL require SSB be given more space in previously designiated CW/digital portions of the bands?

10-91, Good Buddy!
KG4VOC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2006, 06:02:06 PM »

While I may be a NCT I take serious offense to OLDFART.  I studied for my Tech license and I have been studying off and on the Element 1 and General theory.  It is hams like you that want to keep this as your own little club.  So OLDFART are you saying every new ham operator that receives his ticket after this goes into effect will not be a real ham?  If so you are the problem, not the new ham.

CW is NOT banned.  It is just no longer a testing requirement.  It is not the end of ham radio.  If CW is that important to you volunteer to teach a class and promote it.  Do something besides complain about it.  Be part of the solution to keep CW in the forefront.  This can be a great beginning to a new era of ham operators, but it will take a cohesive community to make that happen.  

To all others I look forward to meeting you on HF either voice or yes CW, as I for one will continue to study and learn CW.

73, from this lowly NCT
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 07:47:56 PM »

I personally like what KG4VOC had to say.  I am also a NCT.  I feel that CW is an important part of this hobby.  I still want to learn the code, I just don't have the time to dedicate to learning code.  I am also not one to memorize answers.  I am one to find out why such and such formula works.  I have actually passed the element 3 and was close the last time I tested to pass the element 4.  I did it from knowing and understanding what was being asked, not from studying answers.

I feel that a few people here need to take a good look at the amateur code.  You can look at it here: http://www.arrl.org/acode.html  In a nutshell, it says that an amateur is Considerate, loyal, progressive, friendly, balanced, and patriotic.  This was written about 80 years ago, and if we take a good look at it, I feel that it would sugest that some of the NCTs on here are better amateurs than some of the extras in here.  But, that is just my humble opinion with the observations of what I see.

These are just the rants of some lowly NCT that isn't afraid to have people know who I am and how I feel, and not a person that hides behind an anonymous name.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: