Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No More CW  (Read 1456 times)
KI6ADA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2006, 10:06:24 PM »

I agree with most NCT, when the October notice came out with new band allocations, The CW portion of all bands was narrowed and phone was expanded. Why should one be restricted to a small portion of each band. I am now going to learn the new band assignments to pass my Element 3. I am also going to take use of my Elmer's and increase my knowledge of radio and electronic theory to pass my Element 4. I will always give respect to all previous novice's, tech plus, general, advance and extra class operators.
I will admit I waited for this ruling to pass. Does this make me a bad operator? It takes more knowledge than putting a magnet mount on the car and squeezing out my call sign in phone mode. I still have allot more to learn about propogation, radio theory and safe operating practices.
Someday I may become a FISTS or ARRL CW certified. Today I want to use my skills on HF. I am very interested in learning RTTY and other digital modes. SSB is just a mode of convenience.
Well to wrap this up, I will be putting my station together about the same time these new rules go into effect.
Have a great holiday season and look forward to many fun years in HF.

73, Steve-KI6ADA
KB3LME

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 06:25:02 AM »

Let's get rid of this "I got mine, so you must get yours" selfish mentality.

Life has many changes to offer, and the drop of CW is one of them. Big deal that CW was dropped. Ham radio will always be ham radio with so much that all operators can continue to learn from. Dropping Morse does not change that.

There are all kinds of people involved in this hobby, from the deep techie types to those that could care less about what's under the hood. And there are those that could care less about CW. That's part of the beauty of the hobby.

I hear discussion that since CW is dropped, that the HF bands will now become crowded. Well ... so what! Most times I hear people complaining that there are not enough active hams on the airways, and now that there is a potential for that to change, you guys complain that there will be too many ... make up your mind.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 10:56:08 AM »

CW will still exist.  It will still thrive in the applications for which it is best suited.

The Dx'ers will still use CW to get their signal farther.

The QRP'ers will still use CW to get better power efficiency.

The people who simply like it better will continue to use it as they like it better.

The benefit to the hobby is two fold.

1.  We will now be able to design licensure classes that can interlock all the way from Tech to Extra without the unrelated CW portion blocking the way.

These license classes are logical steps in a process of gaining and mastering new information and skills.  The Tech stresses basic operating technique, and safety.  The General stresses advanced operating technique.  The Extra stresses electronic theory and special situational operations techniques.  

2.  Because we now can really use this logical process in a manner c/w adult learning theory, we can teach all three to the guy who wants to be an AE and do SSB and PSK only, and we can take the guy who wants to be an AE and do QRP and get him licensed, then put him on the air and get his CW skills sharpened to the point where he can solve the problem of getting to be competent as a solo transmitter on QRP frequencies.  Without him having to learn 5 wpm receive, then turn around and learn 10-30 wpm receive with QRM and transmit at the same time.  

This will ultimately be a very good thing for Amateur Radio.  Take heart folks!
AC2C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 06:41:28 AM »

I'm one of the old timers (41+ years) who tested in front of an FCC examiner at 20 WPM. I also have mixed emotions regarding the passing of the code requirement.

I can see the need to keep pace with technology. With the same logic as there is no longer a need to test for knowledge regarding what may cause the plates of the final amp to glow red hot, there is not a lot of sense to keep requiring code proficiency for some who may never need it.

On the other hand, I do fear a gradual loss of spectrum allocations for CW and other digital methods. And, YES, I do consider CW a digital method -- probably the first and most basic, but digital none the less. I hope that we can keep enough operators on the CW portions to stave off any possible intrusion into the non-phone allocations.

As for what this move will do for the hobby as a whole -- history will have to tell. I'd hope that it will open the ranks to many more people -- that can be either good or bad, depending on how we self regulate.

Either way, I'll continue to operate CW as my primary mode and hope to meet most of you for a chat sometime.

Ron, AC2C
FISTS # 12639
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 05:29:54 AM »

In considering the ramifications of the FCC ruling on CW testing, I
have decided to save CW, and I challenge you all to join me.

No response to this message is necessary. Just nod in agreement,
raise your right hand/foot and say "I do".

I've been a licensed amateur radio operator since the fall of 1988.
Compared to a lot of hams out there, I am a rookie. In 18 years I have
demonstated the fun of being a amateur radio operator to hundreds,
maybe more, of guys and gals. In that period of time, I have been
successful in bringing in a total of 5 new hams. None of which enjoy CW.

Also during that time, I have demonstrated how much fun CW is to
dozens, maybe hundreds, of guys and gals, and in that pile I am
responsible for ONE CW operator, and he's not even 35 years old yet.

I challenge you all, every single one of you, that enjoy CW, to
recruit two more new CW operators to the fold, sometime between now
and when you die.

You will need to be enthusiastic, cheerful, and pretend the dumb
questions of a newbie won't bother you. You need to try and involve
yourselves in public displays of CW, set the example, and be an
ambassador for CW.

Anyone with me?

FREE CW TRAINING (Koch Method):  

http://www.g4fon.net/

Also, if you want a free copy of the K7QO CW Course (MP3 files) send me a blank CD ROM and a postage paid return mailer and I will burn the disk and mail it back. My address on eHam is good.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 07:59:54 AM »

I wonder how long it will be before the FCC and the ARRL require SSB be given more space in previously designiated CW/digital portions of the bands?
----------------------------------------------------
I'd say that all depends on how much CW activity there is. If the CW segments have sparce activity it wouldn't make much sense to leave the spectrum vacant. If, as I suspect, CW activity remains then the band allotments will remain.

Another issue: Isn't it time for PSK31 and other digital modes to move off of 20M and start using the other bands as well?
5R8GQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 09:15:14 AM »

>AA4PB on December 19, 2006
>Another issue: Isn't it time for PSK31 and other >digital modes to move off of 20M and start using the >other bands as well?

Almost every night I here PSK-31 on 40m. When the bands were open I used, 10,15,20m
PSK-31, I know have 71 countries on PSK31 w/30 watts into a vertical.

There ARE digital signals on other bands!
IARU Region 1 designates for PSK-31/digital:
21080.150 (although most activity can be found 10 kHz lower)

GO for it!
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:13 AM »

I hear PSK on 40m almost every single night.

Look around on 7070

KI4CFS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 08:23:18 PM »

A little humor!

Announcement of No Code Photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinbrossman/330563038/

I plan on still working on it! But passing General (for the second time) first!
KI4CFS
Happy Hollidays!
N3OYO

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006, 03:13:42 PM »

.-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .   - ---   -.-. -...  .-. .-
-.. .. ---  -...-    -. ---   -.-.  --- -.. .  --. .
-. . .-. .- .-.. ...  .- -. -..  . -..- - .-. .- ...
-...-   .. -- .--. .-. . ... ... .. ...- .  
.-.. --- .-..

.-.. --- --- -.- ...   .-.. .. -.- .  .-- .   --. --- -  ..- ...  .-  -.-. --- -. ...- --- -.--  - ---   .... .-. ---
                   .---- -----   ....-

(Was left out of your "Code Dropped announcement photo...)
N2WEC

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 09:27:20 AM »

I may become a "general lite" but the code learning goes on....CW will live forever.
KD8DQK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 03:56:57 AM »

Oldfart, you need to crank up your medication! You evidently do not like the idea that somebody else has the same priveleges as you and for less work. Makes you madder than a baptist in a brothel, doesn't it? Make you want to stomp a mud hole in somebody's a**?

You, sir, need a reality check.

"welfare General entitlement license" :What exactly is that, anyway? Last I checked that wasn't a real license class. Oh, you mean not having to take that CW test, right? Let me inform you that it will soon be a reliity. And there's nothing you or your exclusive club can do about it. If you want to use CW, fine. If you don't, that's fine too. End of story.

Personally, I find the digital modes to be even better. PSK is absolutely wonderful.

I'm sorry for you, oldfart. It pains me to see that our hobby still hasn't progressed past that level, even after all the technological advances. I am sure that you will eventually accept the new laws. Sure you will whine, and you will bitch, and you will tell all the other oldfarts about how unfair it is, but you will eventually accept it. And you will continue to pound brass.  And maybe, after you reach that level of maturity, I will encounter you on the air and call you friend.

To everyone else, I apologize for the emotional post.

73 (even oldfart)

Jeff
KD8DQK
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 05:27:43 AM »

I agree, PSK is a wonderful mode.  All you have to know is your ABC's and how to turn on your computer and the radio at the same time.  PLUS it's so easy, you don't even have to think or nothing!

What we need are more mindless modes where the computer does all out listening and talking, that way we can just sit there getting fatter while having amazing QSO's with other computers 10's of miles away.

<grin>

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: