Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse code definitely not going dead  (Read 3674 times)
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:03:46 AM »

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/promos/tap/index.html

LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 03:39:44 AM »

I take it they announced that today ?

LB3KB Sigurd
justlearnmorsecode.com
VA3KBC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:20:44 AM »

Gee. I don't know about this.
They look like actors to me.
April 1st and all.

Though the concept is good.....but who will take the time to learn code!!??

VA3KBC
Don
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »

Though the concept is good.....but who will take the time to learn code!!??

VA3KBC
Don
In fact Nokia cell telephones are equipped with it afaik. Of course not the multitasting, that is over the top. But afterall learning to transmit the code is a lot easier then learning to receive it.

A few years ago there was a you tube recording of the Jay Leno show, that demonstrated that two hams dressed as telegraphers, one sending and one receiving (about 30 wpm with a bencher) were far more faster then two young guys, one of them was the champion text messaging on cell phones.

That does not say anything about typing a message in with a dot and a dash  button . However on QRZ.com there was an advertisement showing a guy that got 40 wpm, that way, a speed that is probably impossible with cell phone pads with 12 numerical buttons including # and *.

Here is another link http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/06/morse-code-trumps-sms-in-head-to-head-speed-texting-combat/
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »

It surely ain't going dead. I know that because I use it, and I'm not dead, and, I met a ham last weekend about 14 year old and he's part of a bunch of young hams his age learning it.  Grin

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
HA7AP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »

Thank you for made me laugh.
You have a good sense of humor

73 Imi HA7AP
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 05:19:33 PM »

It surely ain't going dead. I know that because I use it, and I'm not dead, and, I met a ham last weekend about 14 year old and he's part of a bunch of young hams his age learning it.  Grin

Unfortunately, however, ham radio is not growing as fast as the population in the U.S., so it's becoming smaller in a relative sense.

N0BLT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »

Has anyone written an ap for a cell phone that would let you plug in a keyer and send texts or other?  That way us code obsessed could still send by our phone when we are stuck, away from a long wire and HF xmitter, and had the NEED to communicate in our 1st language.    Abla cw txt? 

One would need to get the Iphone or Android phone to send the received txt to the speaker as cw.
N0BLT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »

It looks like an engineering student has written code to allow iambic input of text into a Jailbroken Iphone.
http://iditdahtext.com/iDitDahText.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: