Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Control knob on IC 706MKIIG  (Read 1521 times)
KK4IKO

Ignore
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »

Has anyone had trouble with the main control knob tensioner on a IC706MKIIG?  Mine is set to max tension (you can feel a small difference), but the radio will move off frequency by itself, sometimes by several hundred Kc.  The control knob will set it back where it belongs.  Even at max tension, the knob still moves all too easy for my taste.

Bruce, KK4IKO   
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »

I discovered the problem with the knob tension...here's the fix:  Turned out to be simple when I thought about it for awhile.

Carefully remove the main knob...(pulls straight off), being careful not to lose the little curved spring inside the shaft hole, which holds the knob to the shaft.  The tensioning device is two little padded flat springs that rub against the back of the knob.  Slightly pull these outward for a bit more contact pressure.  If the shaft spring fell out, it goes in a little slot, with the outside of the curve towards the shaft hole.

Bruce, KK4IKO
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:00:44 AM »

The amount of friction provided by the drag clutch is very much affected by the position of the tuning knob on the encoder shaft. If the knob is pushed too far down onto the shaft, drag will be way too high, even with the clutch adjustment set at minimum. If the knob isn't seated far enough on the shaft drag will be way too light. Try seating the VFO knob farther down on the encoder shaft and see if it helps.

Tom
KK4IKO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:08:31 PM »

Thanks KA1MDA for the info.

See my reply above.  The knob was already all the way onto the shaft, and still too easy to move.  I made a small adjustment which made the tension much more satisfactory.  Worked fine on the road today.

KK4IKO 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: