Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross country linked repeaters and HT ??  (Read 8606 times)
KB3POY

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »

Hello,
I'm looking at getting an HT, specifically the Yaesu vx-8DR.

I have a few questions

1. What is the most popular way of linking repeaters cross country?
2. Are there lists of these repeaters somewhere, and are they linked 24/7?
3. Are there specific HT's that make accesing these repeaters possible?

Should I invest in IRLP enabled or APRS enabled radio? 

Mostly interested in accessing repeaters that are linked cross country, especially in my area, Erie, PA there is very little traffic on the local repeaters and it would be nice to be able to get cities close to us linked to our repeater.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »

There isn't anything you have to invest in for IRLP, at least on the user side. That's all handled on the repeater side - the trustee has to have it set up with a computer running the IRLP software. The first time I tried it, I was using an ancient FT-726R multimode radio, so anything that will access the machine will work Cheesy

I'd read this completely if you're interested: http://www.irlp.net/

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »

There are various ways for linking repeaters. Here in the Mountain West there are a several different networks of repeaters. The big ones I monitor are the Intermountain Intertie (http://utahvhfs.org/snowlink.html) and Cactus Intertie (http://www.cactus-intertie.org/) which is the largest linked repeater system in the world, covering most of the Southwestern US and the Washington DC area. Some are private and some are not always linked (but typically can be interlinked on demand).

Your local club will have information on linked repeaters in your area.

Any standard radio that can connect to a repeater is capable of connecting to linked repeaters. Nothing special is needed. The VX-8DR is WAY more than capable of doing this. There's no such thing as an IRLP-enabled radio. IRLP repeaters function pretty much like any other repeater, except that they use the internet to communicate between repeaters rather than over-the-air signals. If you want to reach out to other parts of the world, IRLP is a fun way to get started. Again, your local club will have info on IRLP access points, permissions, etc.

APRS is something else entirely and doesn't really fit into this discussion. It's generally for local sharing of position and other data.

To be a bit blunt, if there's not much traffic on the local repeaters, you could always try talking on them a bit more. :-)
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »

Check out Echolink:  

http://www.echolink.org/

Ask around if there are any repeaters in your area that run Echolink, Or as a last resort, You can download Echolink and operate through your computer, Although that is not really the intent of the system.

Click on "Currentlogins" to see repeaters and stations available.

The best part is it is all free!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:34:58 PM by K9KJM » Logged
W2IBC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »

echolink is pretty good. also echolink is FREE!

I AM THE VOICE OF THE VOICELESS!
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:53:57 AM »

With Echolink you need a computer to access it. With IRLP you just need a radio with DTMF. Then you can connect your repeater to any other repeater in the world running IRLP or you can also connect to a reflector which is like a party line for IRLP. 

Jaime-KA3NXN
IRLP Node 8478
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:47:55 PM »

With Echolink you need a computer to access it. With IRLP you just need a radio with DTMF. Then you can connect your repeater to any other repeater in the world running IRLP or you can also connect to a reflector which is like a party line for IRLP. 

Jaime-KA3NXN
IRLP Node 8478

NO, In most cases you do NOT need a computer to access Echolink as long as you have a local link or repeater available with it running!    The advantages to Echolink is that it does about EVERYTHING that IRLP does, Plus a lot more!   
Echolink can be configured however you want.   

Check out the current list of stations on Echolink:

http://www.echolink.org/logins.jsp

About ALL of the -R and -L    (Repeater and link) stations are RF, NOT computers!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: