About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-990  (Read 8888 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:44:16 PM »

I am not going to Dayton this year. First time in 8 years.

I would like to hear from the experienced contesters who are attending Dayton, what they think of the new Kenwood TS-990.

I am interested in quality, feel and factory support as well as fit and finish.

In looking at the only available picture I found on the internet , it seems to be laid out well and reminds me of the ICOM line.

I know for the new hams it has to many buttons, for the poor it is too expensive, for the weak it is too heavy and for everyone who has an IC-7800/FTDX-9000 it was way too late. This baby has been in the womb for a long time so there should be very few surprises.

Oh by the way when will they be available?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:47:55 PM by K6AER » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:42:43 PM »

I plan to give it a good touchy/feely tomorrow morning and take a lot of pictures too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »

Yes I am afraid it will be too expensive. I can not justify that much money right now. Later maybe. I will have to stick to my TS-480HX for several more years. I like buttons and knobs. Much easier than menu driven stuff to me. The 480 is doing me well right now but maybe later. I am sure I will want it but I will not spend that much money so I will be accepting dontations.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 05:54:22 PM »

While there have been rumors of the 990 for years, the emergence of a new Flex radio was a bolt out of the blue this week. The Flex "game changer," as they call it, will be unveiled tonight at midnight EDT on http://www.flex-radio.com/ .

Flex has been posting hints about the workings of the radio each day for the past week. It's not even certain that the "game changer" is hardware. 

Can't wait to learn more from Dayton about both new radios.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »

the emergence of a new Flex radio was a bolt out of the blue this week. The Flex "game changer," as they call it, will be unveiled tonight at midnight EDT on http://www.flex-radio.com/ .

Flex has been posting hints about the workings of the radio each day for the past week. It's not even certain that the "game changer" is hardware. 

Jeff
How come you gotta bring up a Flexradio when the topic is TS-990? Are you the new Ambassador for Flexradio? You take over for Brian?

If we wanta read about Flexradio and your promoting of Flex we can go to the eham SDR forum. Let us Elmer knobbers be free of Flexradio BS advertising..

Stan K9IUQ
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »

If I wanted to juice Flex sales wouldn't I have started a new thread in the popular Elmers group instead of burying my post about the "game changer" under the title of "TS-990."  BTW I own three Kenwoods and one Flex.

I want to hear about both radios, and any other surprises from Dayton. I think we all do. I'm guessing the new Flex will be the more innovative, more fun, radio of the two.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »

I'm guessing the new Flex will be the more innovative, more fun, radio of the two.

I would not bet farm on that. Flex has very shallow pockets for R&D compared to Kenwood.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »

Japanese economy is in terrible shape. Here's a shocking 5 year chart on electronic bellwether Panasonic:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=PC&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

"The Decline of Japan, Inc

There are numerous examples of American companies performing badly this earnings season (hello, JPMorgan Chase!). But at least they're not doing as poorly as several formerly world-beating Japanese companies. Both Sony (NYSE: SNE  ) and Panasonic (NYSE: PC  ) posted near-catastrophic losses recently, throwing doubt on their future viability and opening the question of whether they'll be able to recover at all."
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/05/15/the-decline-of-japan-inc.aspx

-------
In any event the new Flex will be introduced in an hour.  

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »

Getting back to the original post, I'd wait for the results of all those beta testers out there before shelling out the money.
N4CR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 11:40:52 PM »

While there have been rumors of the 990 for years, the emergence of a new Flex radio was a bolt out of the blue this week. The Flex "game changer," as they call it, will be unveiled tonight at midnight EDT on http://www.flex-radio.com/ .

It's after midnight and all I see is the word Imagine on this Flex radio. Imagine sounds exactly like the 990.

73 de N4CR, Phil

Never believe an atom. They make up everything.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 12:27:04 AM »

It's after midnight and all I see is the word Imagine on this Flex radio. Imagine sounds exactly like the 990.
...and imagine sounds like dream  Grin
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:37:05 AM »

Bottom line: Kenwood is back & kicking some ass. The world has been waiting for this radio a long time........73 K1WJ David Cool
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 09:46:48 AM »

This radio is a piece of junk. I wish I had one! LOL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 04:07:33 PM »

Bottom line: Kenwood is back & kicking some ass. The world has been waiting for this radio a long time........73 K1WJ David Cool

This is a VERY serious radio. They had a prototype and it is to go for FCC approval in August and will ship in November before thanksgiving. 200 watt rig, it has 3 USB jacks (2 on front panel) a DVI, a Giga byte Ethernet, a Optical in/out and a few other things as well as 4 SO-239's. True dual receive. They specs are not finalized but the secondary receiver is the complete 590 receiver roofing filter and all. The well be no options needed for it and it will have a open roofing filter slot for aftermarket filter (Kenwood plans to not offer anything on their own but include it for someone that might have a special application) Took a lot of pictures.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 04:52:43 PM »

So... How much?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: