Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AS3935 Franklin Lightning Sensor IC  (Read 7152 times)
KA4POL

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2012, 12:42:36 AM »

Just to draw the attention to this interesting IC. It is able to recognize lightning up to around 30 miles away. So it would be an interesting circuit to cut antenna connections and such. Details can be found at: http://www.ams.com/eng/Products/RF-Products/Lightning-Sensor/AS3935
I am not affiliated to that manufacturer  Tongue
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »

Dieter:  Very interesting chip!  Digikey lists them for $8.36 each but also lists "0 available."  Don't know what the story on that is.

I presently use a simple lightning detector consisting of two Darlington transistors and a few other components coupled to LEDs and a meter.  With a short vertical outdoor antenna I have the meter calibrated to detect lightning out to 75 miles.

Al - K8AXW
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »

The chip is new. So it may not be available yet through distributors.
I've asked for a quote from the manufacturer just today after finding out about the IC.

Your solution is probably what I would do as well. This IC, however, comes with bells and whistles.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:22:51 AM »

This chip along with the small enclosure would be a great thing for sports coaches to own. 
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »

softball coaches around here have a little gotcha box that lights up when a storm's lightning wreath is getting close.  this chip would appear to be the fundamental block for that kind of thing, using 500 KHz as a monitored frequency per the datasheet and using a microprocessor and lookup table to determine friend from foe.  not mentioned, but I'd wager it's an AM one-chip radio into an 8-bit processor.  the integrator's friend would be the auto-sensitization and lightning recognition algorithms internal to the chip.

we do have other options.  an AM radio helps.  if you start getting static, jam it between stations.  if it's getting noisy, stick your head out the window and look at the sky.

numerous smartphone apps offer severe weather alerts.  your shack could be cinders by the time one hits, but it's useful.  you can always watch the radar, too.

we seem to have lost the farmer's weather sense in our society.  but if you've got a 5-grand contesting radio just chock-full of micron-width semiconductor junctions, use all the tools you have to protect it Wink
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »

I keep my homebrew lightning detector online during the summer because my shack and shop is in the basement.  No windows to stick my head out and check the weather.....but, if something starts in the detector starts chirping and alerts me.  If my antennas are connected, I go out and disconnect them.

I read of someone getting zapped out on the baseball field or equivalent every once in a while.  I think the reason for this is too many coaches push the envelope on when to pull their players off the field.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 12:12:43 AM »

I just checked back with the manufacturer: 1k price tag is $ 3.73 and it is not available yet, no forecast when.
WD4HXG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »

1000 piece minimum and not in production in all likelyhood
means the vendor is checking the water temperature -
seeing who asks, how big they are and how many they want.

If you really want to get into lightning Google the term
"lightning field mill". Field Mills are easily made from bathroom
ceiling fans using tin snips. Put one in the yard with a
op amp gain stage and when you reach a calibrated
10 to 20 volts per inch the signal from the field mill can
disconnect gear using relays or better yet solenoids.

Chuck WD4HXG
TUMLEH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 06:22:29 AM »

It was not a problem to get the AS3935 via the webpage ams.com
It's also available via Digi-Key alraedy....

BR
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 03:24:10 PM »

It was not a problem to get the AS3935 via the webpage ams.com
It's also available via Digi-Key alraedy....

BR

Unless I'm overlooking something, it is not available for purchase at either one of those pages.

Digi-Key has a minimum of 500 pcs.

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 09:47:09 PM »

I just checked again and found http://www.ams.com/eng/shop/basket with one at $ 9.55 plus $29.90 shipping. I did not really order it.
TUMLEH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 05:25:01 AM »

hi,
only the standard reel is 500pcs., the "Digi-Reel" is 1 pcs...

http://www.digikey.dk/product-detail/en/AS3935-BQFT/AS3935-BQFTCT-ND/3182215
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: