Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new DUC/DDC SunSDR2 transceiver  (Read 50960 times)
RN6LHF

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:53:50 AM »

I,m would like to share with all some information about the new DUC/DDC SunSDR2 transceiver and discuss it.
At this moment Expert Electronics company from Russia prepare serial manufacturing of this transceiver.
Preliminary data:
Software: ExpertSDR
Direct convertion in RX/TX mode, in HF/VHF bands
Frequency range 0-65MHz, 95-148MHz
Wide band spectrum panadapter up to 80MHz
Two independent receivers
Full duplix mode
High dynamic range of receiver: up to 119-120dB in the HF, and up to 114dB in the VHF.
Output power: 20W(HF), 10W(VHF)
Reference 10 MHz input
Very small CW delay: 2-20ms
ADC sample rate: 160MHz
ADC resolution: 16 bit
SFDR receiver: 78-82 dB
DUC sample rate: 360MHz
DUC resolution: 14 bit
High perfomance 24 bit Codec on board
Connect to PC: LAN/WAN(Ethernet/WiFi 802.11 g/n)
Power supply: 12-15V 1A(RX)/5A(TX)
Very small size: 165x165x35mm
Weight: 1 Kg

Inputs/outputs:
VHF antenna connector(BNC)
Two HF antenna connectors(BNC)
Wide RF input port direct connect to high speed ADC(SMA)(for XVTRX, measurement etc.)
Wide RF output port direct connect to DUC(SMA)(for XVTRX, measurement etc.)
Reference 10MHz input connector(SMA)
Two WiFi antenna connectors for 801.11 g/n up to 300Mb/s WAN(SMA)
ALC input port(RCA)
PTT input port(JACK 6.3mm)
CW Key input port(JACK 6.3mm)
External Control port with 10 power switch and RS-485 interface(D-SUB-15)
Electret Microphone input(line)(JACK 6.3mm)
Dynamic Microphone input with PTT switch for MH-31(RJ-45)
Headphones output(line)(JACK 6.3mm)
Ethernet connector(RJ-45)
DC input 12-15V 5A

Pictures can be viewed is here, some videos is here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:56:52 AM by RN6LHF » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:19:30 AM »

This advertisement/posting was obviously made to capitalize on the buzz around Flex Radios 6000 series.

Uhhh, I am going to buy a radio from Russia like I am going to buy a radio from India.  Does anyone remember the Indian company (WonderRadio?) that made a Flex SDR-1000 clone that ran off with everyone's money without delivering a product?   What happens when I order this product from Russia and it never shows?  What recourse do I have in Russia?  The answer is the same recourse I would have in India - NONE.  They even want you to prepay.  No way I am gambling $1800 for something like this.  Why do all these fly-by-night companies pick such hokey names for their products?  WonderRadio, SunSDR, etc...  Roll Eyes  From looking at the videos, this company is even stealing someone elses software to run it.  Looks like they have taken a page right out of WonderRadio's playbook.

I'd rather order a Flex 6000 series and bend over and pay the $200 per year!  

Here's the info on the WonderRadio fiasco http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,57633.0.html

Gene
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:47:44 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:38:01 AM »

That's quite a large line of products:
http://sunsdr.com/en/eshop/shop.html

But the lack of activity in your forum section suggests virtually zero sales/interest.
http://sunsdr.com/en/forum.html

You show an odd CW-only SDR but it isn't listed in your "shop" section.
http://sunsdr.com/en/products/10-receivers/17-ee-mbsdr-01.html

I find few links to the sunsdr.com site and the domain expires soon. I own several valuable domains and they are renewed for at least 5 years at a crack. 

"Creation Date: 29-DEC-2008
Updated Date: 23-DEC-2011
Expiration Date: 29-DEC-2012"

At minimum, you'll need a respected European distributor to give your company some credibility.
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:01:13 AM »

Thank you for your opinion.
The SunSDR transceiver was officially manufactured 3 years ago and has had several modifications. Last year it was SunSDR+Sound card inside = One USB-cable to PC, 96kHz panadapter with waterfall, 100dB DR, fast CW mode etc.. The ExpertSDR software has been powered by Expert Electronics company during 3.5 year and the original code from Flex is not used there. A crossplatform QT-library and C++ language are used there. In future the ExpertSDR will work in Linux and MAC.
A fly-by-night companies don't have so much time and money to write their own software for SDR-transceivers of different architectures (based on sound card and based on DUC/DDC).
The information above is intended for informing and discussion. Everyone has their own opinion and makes their own choice.

95% users of SunSDR are from Russia and can have Manufacturer's technical support by Phone, Skype or e-mail and most of them use these ways. When your radio works well, you work on air, and not in forums.

The MultiBandSDR receiver is no longer produced, cause it is not listed in the "shop" section. The MultiBandSDR was based on 10 receiver channels with fixed oscillators + 10 USB sound cards EMU-0202 + 1 or 2 very fast PC with Core i7 CPU  + 10 copies CW-Skimmer for cluster. It is monster, but it was created for order by contestmen.

"Creation Date: 29-DEC-2008
Updated Date: 23-DEC-2011
Expiration Date: 29-DEC-2012"
It is question for our host-provider. I have not information about it.

The SunSDR transceiver use old architecture because it use sound card+DDS synthesizer. The SunSDR2 transceiver it is progressive direction in the radio and produced nowadays and in the future.

Vasily
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:07:07 AM by RN6LHF » Logged
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 11:02:54 AM »

Download the ExpertSDR software you can here. It is version working with SunSDR+Sound card, it is working with all transceivers/receivers that works with sound card.
The minimal computer requirements for the ExpertSDR:
CPU: Intel Core2Duo 1.6 GHz
RAM: 1-2 GB
Videoadapter, minimal resolution 1024x600, RAM 128 MB, must support OpenGL 1.5 or higher.
OS Windows XP or OS Windows 7 with installing all natives drivers(video driver).

Vasily
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:47:53 PM by RN6LHF » Logged
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 02:31:41 PM »

Vasily

Do you have any IMD  specifications for the transmitter?

What RF devices do you use in the PA stage?

Thanks

I,m would like to share with all some information about the new DUC/DDC SunSDR2 transceiver and discuss it.
At this moment Expert Electronics company from Russia prepare serial manufacturing of this transceiver.
Preliminary data:
Software: ExpertSDR
Direct convertion in RX/TX mode, in HF/VHF bands
Frequency range 0-65MHz, 95-148MHz
Wide band spectrum panadapter up to 80MHz
Two independent receivers
Full duplix mode
High dynamic range of receiver: up to 119-120dB in the HF, and up to 114dB in the VHF.
Output power: 20W(HF), 10W(VHF)
Reference 10 MHz input
Very small CW delay: 2-20ms
ADC sample rate: 160MHz
ADC resolution: 16 bit
SFDR receiver: 78-82 dB
DUC sample rate: 360MHz
DUC resolution: 14 bit
High perfomance 24 bit Codec on board
Connect to PC: LAN/WAN(Ethernet/WiFi 802.11 g/n)
Power supply: 12-15V 1A(RX)/5A(TX)
Very small size: 165x165x35mm
Weight: 1 Kg

Inputs/outputs:
VHF antenna connector(BNC)
Two HF antenna connectors(BNC)
Wide RF input port direct connect to high speed ADC(SMA)(for XVTRX, measurement etc.)
Wide RF output port direct connect to DUC(SMA)(for XVTRX, measurement etc.)
Reference 10MHz input connector(SMA)
Two WiFi antenna connectors for 801.11 g/n up to 300Mb/s WAN(SMA)
ALC input port(RCA)
PTT input port(JACK 6.3mm)
CW Key input port(JACK 6.3mm)
External Control port with 10 power switch and RS-485 interface(D-SUB-15)
Electret Microphone input(line)(JACK 6.3mm)
Dynamic Microphone input with PTT switch for MH-31(RJ-45)
Headphones output(line)(JACK 6.3mm)
Ethernet connector(RJ-45)
DC input 12-15V 5A

Pictures can be viewed is here, some videos is here.
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »

Products of the spurious emission IMD is less on 30 .. 40 dB of the main signal. It is preliminary data. This week will be tests of measurement of all transceivers parameters.
This will be final data about the SunSDR2 transceiver.

In the HF Power Amplifier RD16HHF1 transistors are used.
In the VHF PA - Mitsubishi RF Mosfet Module RA07H1317 is used.

The Block Diagram of the SunSDR2 is here.

Vasily

Do you have any IMD  specifications for the transmitter?
What RF devices do you use in the PA stage?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:42:52 AM by RN6LHF » Logged
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »

So this has 20W transmit power for HF?  What about ability to use an amp with it, does it have TX out to key an Amp?  Pretty cool looking SDR on paper.

Manuals in English available?

Will WoodBoxRadio Radios new Studio One software support it and have you thought about seeing if they will act as your uropean distributor?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:23:33 PM by EVERSTAR » Logged

RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:23:18 AM »

Yes, 20W output power on HF Bands.
The SunSDR2 has 10 power switshes with open collector in Ext.Control connector, which can control external devices. The Ext.Control connector also has RS-485 industrial interface. It can be used for control remote devices(PA, Antenna swithes, Ext. BPF, Power supply etc..), wires length is up to 1200 meters.
English version of the Manual will be available in the end of June.
WoodBoxRadio works via CAT-interface. The ExpertSDR software supports CAT-interface via Kenwood TS-2000 protocol. If WoodBoxRadio works with TS-2000 protocol, then ExpertSDR will be working with it. Now we are searching for distrubutors in Europe and other parts of the world.
So this has 20W transmit power for HF?  What about ability to use an amp with it, does it have TX out to key an Amp?  Pretty cool looking SDR on paper.
Manuals in English available?
Will WoodBoxRadio Radios new Studio One software support it and have you thought about seeing if they will act as your uropean distributor?
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:50:48 AM »

I would see if the gentleman at WoodBoxRadio will be a distributor, that would definitely increase your sales if you have a known distributor a d English documentation.

As a few have pointed out here, it's hard to buy a radio from an unknown entity.  It's too bad because it looks pretty cool.  Maybe you can send one to a reviewer as well and have them do a detailed review on it.

I'll even volunteer to do that if you like and even return the radio or buy it if I really like it.  I'd be comparing it to a Flex 5000 though if you send it to me.  I'll pay the postage back to you if I don't want to keep it.  I realize your not likely to take me up on the offer, but I thought I would toss it out there.  

Sending one to QST magazine would also get you a ton of milage if you get a known European distributor to carry your product, or even an American one like Grove for example.  At 20 watts your going to have to sell it as a QRP rigg unless you have a option for an amp.

Best of luck!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:46:45 AM by EVERSTAR » Logged

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »

If you want any credibility at all you need to get with a KNOWN European distributor.  Not some unknown fake front company.

When some well known European distributor picks it up and supports it, then we can take it seriously.  For now, no way!  Too many scams are operating out of Russia.  Even if the company is legit and intends to deliver a product, no one in their right mind should pre-pay for something from Russia.  Otherwise they run the high risk of the company folding up, like WonderRadio in India did, and taking their money never to be seen again.  What are you then going to do?  Get on a plane for Russia and complain to a corrupt Russian government official who could care less?  I don't even think Paypal will process payments for Russian companies.

Gene
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:32:38 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 06:09:56 AM »

We will actively start looking for distributors after the start of mass production.
We are planning to visit Exhibition in Friedrichshafen 22-24 June and demonstrate SunSDR2 transceiver. If you want to see it you are welcome.
In yahoo group were placed photo and table with last characteristics of SunSDR2 transceiver.
Characteristics is such as:
DR 119-122dB without P.AMP
DR 110-116dB with P.AMP
DR IMD3 95/105dB In-Band 500Hz/2.4kHz
Sensitivity: -130dB (0.07uV)

At the moment the payment methods is the bank transfer. Pay Pal yet is not available.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:21:15 AM by RN6LHF » Logged
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 06:34:50 AM »

At the moment the payment methods is the bank transfer. Pay Pal yet is not available.

Surprise, surprise!  Just try to get your bank to reverse a bank transfer when the money is already gone and you have not received your SDR.  At least with Paypal, you have some protection.  Paypal will not work with Russian based companies for a reason.

No Way, No Thanks!   If you want orders outside of Russia then you better get some well known reputable European distributor to work with you.  I think you are going to have a hard road to travel getting a reputable European distributor given Russia's reputation.

Gene
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:37:45 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
RN6LHF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:42:24 AM »

... We are planning to visit Exhibition in Friedrichshafen 22-24 June and demonstrate SunSDR2 transceiver. If you want to see it you are welcome. ...
Our place A1-502.
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 02:13:42 PM »

Your still going to need a US and or European Distributor.  Grove here in the USmight be able to help you.  I suggest sending a unit to QST to be reviewed as well.

It's an interesting radio, so I think you might be able to make a go at selling it here in the US if it gets a favorable review and you have a US reseller like grove.

Best of luck!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: