The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My First DX Contact on CW  (Read 1458 times)
KE5HJO

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2007, 05:16:05 AM »

I made my first DX contact on CW last night.  50 watts on 10.125.00  around 9:45 PM to Salta, Argentina.  What a rush that was!  I was extremely nervous and was affraid that I would screw it up.  I was sending CQ when the station responded but at a faster rate than I could copy (I copy about 8 wpm but can send 12 or 15 wpm).  I asked the station to slow down which he did.  He even sent important things twice like his QTH, Name, etc...  Being new to CW, I really appreciated his effort.

I'm hooked on CW...  The fact that CW can be received on a "dead band", which 30 meters was dead as a hammer to FM and LSB traffic, amazes me.

Mike

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 05:36:01 AM »

Only CW and digital is allowed on 30m anyway.  You shouldn't find any voice at all whether it is FM or SSB.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 05:37:00 AM »

I meant to say congratulations as that is the most important thing.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:02:28 PM »

Lots of DX on 30m, and it's 100% CW or digital, since voice modes are not allowed on that band.

With even a very modest antenna, it's surprising what can be worked on 30.  Tons of Russian stations on around dusk and just a bit after that...strong signals.  

Congrats on the first of many DX CW contacts!
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »

Not exactly true about 100% CW/RTTY/Digital, no SSB allowed.  For US amateurs it's true, for the rest of the world it varies country to country.

Remember, we only have this band on a "shared secondary" allocation, and a 200 watt output power limit.  And we are NOT to cause interference to voice stations outside the USA. That power limit also does not apply to other countries.

You will hear SSB, especially the "fishing fleets" of both oceans.  Unless it has changed, VK's were allowed to use SSB on 30 meters as well.

However, all that said, I have been in love with the band from the day it opened (in two small segments, remember?)....  It does get frustrating at times to hear signals from Asia, or Europe, and know they're running a KW and your little 100 watter just ain't gonna cut the mustard (hi)!

But still a fun band!

73, Jim/k7unz
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 08:21:20 AM »

I can run 200W out on 30m, and usually do!

If the legal limit were raised today, I'd probably still stick with the 200W, since I can do it without an amplifier (ah, the peace and quiet).

I do realize this is a very shared allocation but can't remember hearing any amateur SSB activity -- not even VK, unless I just blanked out on it.

I work a lot of Russians on 30 around grayline.  Somebody asked me if that was long path or short path.

"How do I know?  I'm using a vertical!"

:-)

WB2WIK/6
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 05:39:41 PM »

Yeah, 30 was a blast!  Was running a Collins S3 Line at the time, so just a couple of xtals had me ready for the opening!  But contacts were so few and far between that I actually bought a VIC-20 computer (jeeze, we are talking "old" here ain't we....) and modified it to be a CW keyboard, just to be able to run a "CQ" message!

Uncle Sam moved me to Norway, and later to Italy, shortly after 30 opened here.  Zowie!  Had ALL 3 bands over there, with 17/12 long before they opened in the States.  I was in hog heaven, and in fact, only operated WARC bands for many years.  A Cushcraft WARC band vertical (still have it in the garage...) did the trick.

Good times for sure!!

73, Jim/k7unz

VA7AAX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 10:26:25 PM »

congratulations! i hope to get my first dx CW contact shortly
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 11:14:59 AM »

Congratulations on working DX on 30-meter CW. Thirty is a great band. Sometimes at night, the skip is so long that you can't copy other USA stations but some DX comes through. That can cause the band to sound dead when it's not.

The American 200-watt output limit is pretty much a USA-only deal. Most countries don't restrict power output on 30 like we do. When the band was first opened to amateur use around 1980 or so, the Australians worked quite a bit of SSB on it. I copied several of them talking to each other and to stations in the UK. But I haven't heard any amateur SSB in many years.

I have read online that SSB is used on 30 meters by hams in parts of Africa during daylight hours -- mainly for nets, etc. It's restricted to daytime use to minimize QRM to CW stations elsehwere.

And from time to time, I've had some nice ditigal QSOs on 30 meters using RTTY, Pactor and Olivia. I'd like to see more keyboard-to-keyboard digital ragchews on the band. It's a nice alternative to 40 and 20 for those.

The USA restricts its hams on 30 to CW and digital modes only because of the band's small size. I wonder if other countries have done that too or if their activity is limited to CW and digital because of gentlemen's agreements?

73, Dave, N4KZ
EXWA2SWA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 10:01:15 AM »

Congratulations on the first of many! DXing on CW is great fun, and on 30m - well, it just gets that much better.

CU on CW,
Jim KE5CXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: