Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: multiple monitors; arranging windows  (Read 5685 times)
KM3K

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:44:17 AM »

Hello,
This morning I set-up two monitors in "extended" mode and can move stuff from one monitor to the other.
I moved several DXLab applications to monitor#2, which is not the main-monitor.
When I power-down, re-apply power, and start-up those applications, they show up on monitor#1, the main-monitor.
I don't want that to happen; rather, I want them to start-up on monitor#2, preferably as I had them arranged prior to power-down but that is probably wishing for too much.
Is there something I can do to make that happen?
I should mention the OS is Win7/64.
I have not researched this problem as I don't know what wording to use for searching this situation.
Tnx in advance for any help.
73 Jerry KM3K
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:26:18 AM by KM3K » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:10 PM »

Why power down??? What is wrong with Standby or Hibernate which should remember settings? I only do cold/full boots when upgrades require it.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:32:07 PM »

The following may give you some ideas: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976064

I have a dual monitor Windows Vista setup at work and it remembers everything okay when I reboot (which I do daily - turn it off when I go home). For example, if I open Notepad and move it to the secondary monitor, the next time I open Notepad it will appear on the secondary monitor again. A few programs can't be moved to the secondary monitor. If a program is maximized then I can't move it to the secondary monitor. I have some Microsoft developer programs that I run on the primary monitor but open help files in the secondary monitor. Makes it real handy for working on the program while reading the help file.

Icons stay where I put them on either monitor.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »

This morning I set-up two monitors in "extended" mode and can move stuff from one monitor to the other.
When I power-down, re-apply power, and start-up those applications, they show up on monitor#1, the main-monitor.

Every DXLab application provides a Use Multiple Monitors box on its Configuration window's General tab. Make sure this box is checked in each application.

Dave, AA6YQ
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:11:07 AM »

Every DXLab application provides a Use Multiple Monitors box on its Configuration window's General tab. Make sure this box is checked in each application.
Thanks; I missed that; lots to learn about DXLab and, to use the McDonald's ad, "I'm lovin' it".
73 Jerry KM3K
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:53:55 AM »

Thanks; I missed that; lots to learn about DXLab and, to use the McDonald's ad, "I'm lovin' it".
73 Jerry KM3K
Perfect; exactly what I wanted. Thanks.
I'm thinking that I'm going to find that DXLab is a real classy piece of work and I made the right choice in picking it.
73 Jerry KM3K
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:27:45 AM »

Dave, AA6YQ

Do like Dave said. It works great. I have a pair of 21" monitors (stacked vice sibe-by-side configed as an ext'd dsektop) and have DXLab suite to use the entire desktop. Have Spotcollector, Bandspread/Commander, DX View and Prop Monitor on top monitor with DXkeeper, Winwarbler, and DX Atlas map on bottom. I don't keep every window open at all times but rather call them up from the menu bar at the bottom edge of bottom display when I need to see them however I usually have DXKeeper and Spotcollector up at all times.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:37:12 PM »

Why power down??? What is wrong with Standby or Hibernate which should remember settings? I only do cold/full boots when upgrades require it.

There is certain Ham hardware that will not work properly if the system is left to Hibernate or Standby.  It has to do with the way certain version of the OS deals with drivers and hibernation.  microHAM will tell you do not use hibernation or standby with their uRouter software.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »

There is certain Ham hardware that will not work properly if the system is left to Hibernate or Standby.  It has to do with the way certain version of the OS deals with drivers and hibernation.  microHAM will tell you do not use hibernation or standby with their uRouter software.

I have found some similar results. It appears that after several Hibernation cycles that I will need to do a reboot as the system (WinXP SP3) tends to get sluggish and wants to misbehave. After a reboot, all is well until several cycles and then reboot again. I have gotten to the point of rebooting at least once a week even if there is no outward sign of sluggishness just to avoid having it turn up after getting everything setup and running and then needing to reboot.

I have the entire DXlab Suite environment running plus JT65-HF and JT-Tools utilities. Makes for a full load of applications running concurrently. It all appears to play well together. My hardware interfaces are mostly homebrew (do have a Rigblaster Plug-N-Pray model) and no intense USB based functionality like microHam stuff but only a couple of USB-to-Serial converters.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »

I have found some similar results. It appears that after several Hibernation cycles that I will need to do a reboot as the system (WinXP SP3) tends to get sluggish and wants to misbehave. After a reboot, all is well until several cycles and then reboot again. I have gotten to the point of rebooting at least once a week even if there is no outward sign of sluggishness just to avoid having it turn up after getting everything setup and running and then needing to reboot.

I have the entire DXlab Suite environment running plus JT65-HF and JT-Tools utilities. Makes for a full load of applications running concurrently. It all appears to play well together. My hardware interfaces are mostly homebrew (do have a Rigblaster Plug-N-Pray model) and no intense USB based functionality like microHam stuff but only a couple of USB-to-Serial converters.

I have never seen an implementation of hibernation that didn't leak memory. If the objective is to conserve power, configure Windows to turn off your monitor and hard drive after N minutes of inactivity. If you must disable the CPU, I suggest using sleep/standby rather than hibernation.  The extra time this takes will be more than balanced by the improved performance (additional RAM available) and the avoidance of extra Windows reboots.

Dave, AA6YQ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 01:59:27 PM »

Why would you want to avoid a daily Windows reboot unless you are in too much of a hurry to wait. It gives me time to get my first cup of coffee in the morning.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 03:05:17 PM »

Why would you want to avoid a daily Windows reboot unless you are in too much of a hurry to wait. It gives me time to get my first cup of coffee in the morning.

Terminating and restarting Windows interrupts long-running applications that monitor propagation and the bands.

Dave, AA6YQ
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »

I usually leave things running in the shack on the PC and just hibernate them, picking up where I left off. But I guess from what Dave suggests perhaps I should just have the drives and the monitors shutoff after a while of inactivity and let the OS just put th esystem to sleep vice hibernate. Makes sense. And since I only get a hour or two to operate in the evenings and to wait for the system to reboot and stablize is just that much more time I have to wait to see what's happening and getting down to making Q's.

You must be retired Smiley Lucky you. I still have 5 or more years to get eligible for that and with the current economy, probably more like 10-15 years since it seems like I'm losing more in my retirement investments than I'm putting in lately. My first cup of coffee is at work while I'm trying to wake up. The computer there runs 24x7 and I could care less if that one craps out or not. In fact, I'd like to have it crap so I can get a better one as the the current one is the proverbial P.O.S.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:52:43 PM »

I guess I must be getting old. I don't have any software at home that needs to run 24/7 monitoring propogation and the bands. Two minutes once a day for an initial boot doesn't seem like much time to me either. Now I do maintain a server that runs 24/7 so I guess it all depends on what you are doing. I always tell the "harry homeowners" that I do computer work for to turn it on at the first use every day and off when they are done for the day so they are sure it gets a fresh boot on a regular basis. For the typical computer user I don't see much benefit in running the computer 24/7. If the computer is off 12 hrs per day that means the fans only get half as many hours on them.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 05:41:37 PM »

I guess I must be getting old. I don't have any software at home that needs to run 24/7 monitoring propogation and the bands. Two minutes once a day for an initial boot doesn't seem like much time to me either. Now I do maintain a server that runs 24/7 so I guess it all depends on what you are doing. I always tell the "harry homeowners" that I do computer work for to turn it on at the first use every day and off when they are done for the day so they are sure it gets a fresh boot on a regular basis. For the typical computer user I don't see much benefit in running the computer 24/7. If the computer is off 12 hrs per day that means the fans only get half as many hours on them.

In the absence of any need to run applications 24x7, your advice is sound. My goal is to get my DXCC Challenge total over 3000, so SpotCollector runs 24x7 capturing the operating patterns of stations I need as well as band openings I can exploit.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: