Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wolfman, XERF and the Transoceanic  (Read 16915 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »

[Wolfman's] "father gave him an old radio, a transoceanic model with all sorts of tuning knobs. Bob and his friends cleaned out the coal bin in the cellar and strung miles of copper wire to serve as an antenna to bring in the far away stations better. He was particularly fascinated by the border radio stations..."

"Howling at a quarter-million watts........down here with the donkeys" until 4 AM. "

Great story
http://www.freeenterpriseland.com/BOOK/WOLFMAN.html
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:37:29 AM »

Great story Jeff ! Thanks for the link  Wink

Fred EI4GMB

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »

I vividly remember hearing (DXing?) XERF from that most iconic of 60s venues... the back seat of my Chevy outside my girlfriend's dorm. (OK, it was a rusty '62 Chevy Nova). I recall that XERF ("Del Rio Texas") gave their power in 1969 as 500,000 watts... an easy RF hop into Columbia Missouri and perhaps the loudest station on the dial late at night.

Wolfman Jack was gone from XERF by then, but we'd listen to a parade of preachers selling miracle beads and such in 15 and 30 minute blocks of air time. 

Best radio station film scene ever? From American Graffiti...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99z-H_NEccU
KB7ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:49 PM »

Back about 1967 or so there were some really GREAT radio stations to tune into on those late date nights...XEROK (X-Rock 80) claimed a MILLION watts..from Juarez, Mexico..Legend was they built the transmitter in a junk yard and piled car chassis in an arc around the tower (maybe towers) to 'reflect' the signal north to the states..they were a loud voice of Rock back then...but in the southwest..I was in Phoenix at the time...KOMA, KHJ and XERB (where the Wolfman hung out) dominated the airwaves from the Mississippi to the Pacific at night!  When KOB in New Mexico signed off on Saturday nights for testing you could hear WABC in Hollywood! Those WERE the days..low noise floor and GOOD AM radios in those Malibu SS's!

If you were cruisin' east of Mississippi you had loads to choose from...WABC, CKLW, WKBW, WRKO, WCFL, WLS..just to name a few..you could tune across the AM band and feast on DX stations that came in like locals in every city and burb in the country....fine radio days...we miss 'em.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »

XEROK kept me sane though the early 70's as an American teen living in Mexico. The local Canal 58 AM station was a mish mash of international Top 40, but X-Rock 80 at night was my soundtrack. Equis Eh Ere Oh Kah.. Juarez, Mexico..
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 05:32:04 AM »

I first heard the Wolfman in 1969 or '70 when he was on XERB.  On family camping trips to Oregon I was able to pick his station up on my old AM-FM-SW transistor radio.  The first time I heard him, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  He sounded like a regular wild man, making fun of the operators who would try to get him to take a collect call from a listener.

My main memory of XEROK was hearing it during the 80's on a road trip, on my GE boombox.  Radio Canon ("cannon"), or something like that, probably playing ranchero music.  Very blasting modulation, if I remember correctly.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »

Back in the early fifties the only stations I could hear on my crystal (galena with a cat whisker) set in central Texas were XEG and XELO.  This was before Wolfman, so it was a
little country music and preachers for programming with ads for prayer tablecloths and
other religeous items as well as a guaranteed roach killer (two blocks of wood, place the roach
on one block and smack him with the other) and so forth. 
It didn't matter as all I cared was that my crystal set worked.

Allen KA5N
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:21:26 PM »

I first heard the Wolfman in 1969 or '70 when he was on XERB.  On family camping trips to Oregon I was able to pick his station up on my old AM-FM-SW transistor radio.  The first time I heard him, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  He sounded like a regular wild man, making fun of the operators who would try to get him to take a collect call from a listener.

My main memory of XEROK was hearing it during the 80's on a road trip, on my GE boombox.  Radio Canon ("cannon"), or something like that, probably playing ranchero music.  Very blasting modulation, if I remember correctly.

Spanish language nitpick: "can~on", canyon. Means the same thing in Spanish as it does in English.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 01:16:46 AM »

True, but the word also means "cannon" in English.

http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/canon

FWIW, XEROK used a cannon sound in some of their station IDs at the time, which sounded very percussive when piped through their overmodulation.  Then you'd have the deep voiced guy with lots of echo....  it seemed to be their trademark.
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 06:57:23 PM »

...a little country music and preachers for programming with ads for prayer tablecloths and other religeous items

And so my friends, let us lift the back cover from the radio of righteousness and place your hands upon
the plate cap of eternity...   Can you feel the POWER?   I say, can you feel the POWER of the everlasting word of
GOD as it travels at the speed of light from this book of gospel to your Radiola of Redemption...?   Can I have an AMEN
for the Lord of all mankind who put the SUPER in SUPERHETERODYNE and the SALIVATE in SALVATION
to save your precious immortal soul from ETERNAL DAMNATION...?

I say AMEN.... aaaaaaayyyyMEN !!!!!

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: