Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom-718 as a hold-over  (Read 1259 times)
KB1TJY

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »

Life has a funny way of getting in the way when things are going smooth. Anyway, I lost my job and need some unvarnished opinions. I have to sell my Yaesu FT-2000 (bought 9/09) and Yaesu MD-100 Mike. I figure I should be able to get ~$1900.00 for it given that the current price on the FT-2000 is $2,899.00 (HRO has a special until end of June). I am taking a beating but such is life.

Until I am back on my feet I was thinking of getting the Icom 718 and was curious what if any experiences people have had either through personal use or word of mouth If it's junk I need to know that. If it's a good rig to hold me over until things turn around I need to know that too. I do not do contesting, btw.

Thanks!

Lyman
VE1GA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 12:19:52 PM »

Lyman ...

Sorry to hear of you job loss. Hopefully another door will soon open for you.

To help answer your query, I purchased an IC-718 about 10 years ago. My thought was to use it as an update for my old FRG-7 SWL receiver and also have transmit capability. My primary rig was and still is an IC-751A.

When I purchased the 718 they did not come with the DSP unit as they do now. It was an option. I never did add the DSP unit but I did add a narrow CW filter.

To this day, the 718 is probably my most utilized rig. It's a real workhorse. Of course its' no FT-2000 but it will put you back on the air in good style and I would not be surprised to learn that long after you've gotten a new job, acquired a high end rig, etc., that you'll not want to part with the 718.

There are a number of reviews of the 718 here on eHam that might be of assistance in your determination.

73, Leigh
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:57:10 PM »

For its price, the 718 is truly a remarkable radio.  With a good antenna it will take you all over the world.  It's amazing what this little radio can do, even without lots of bells and whistles.  Many hams like them so much, that they never made the move to upgrade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: