Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upgraded license posting  (Read 14544 times)
K2OWK

Ignore
« on: May 19, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »

About how long does it take for an upgraded license to appear in the FCC database after passing the upgrade test, and the information is submitted.

Thank you,

73s

K2OWK
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »

It all depends on how quickly the VE group submits the data to the VEC, and how quickly the VEC enters the information into the FCC database.  Our ARRL VE group in northern California submits the results of Saturday exams to the ARRL via FedEx.  The new licenses and license upgrade info usually appear in the FCC database by the following Friday at the latest, and often as early as Wednesday or Thursday.
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »

To the person waiting for the upgrade notice?  Forever ... Smiley

KK4JJF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:04:15 PM »

Took my exams last Saturday, and was in the database around 2:00 pm Thursday, so it hit mid day....
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »

Thanks everyone. NA7U you are absolutely right. I passed my test last Saturday and the information was supposed to be faxed on Monday. This was an upgrade and the upgrade has not yet appeared in the data base. I guess I just have to be patient.

Thanks again

73s

K2OWK
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:14:26 PM »

Just curious - is there a particular reason you're in a hurry?  If you've upgraded, you can use your new privileges immediately, by appending the appropriate suffix to your call when you're operating in the new class's sub-bands.

I was talking to a candidate today who was anxious to let everyone know he'd just passed the Extra.  He wanted to use /AE !
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:30:54 PM »

KG6AF, There is no particular reason for any rush. I would just like to see it. I have been a General class for more then 50 years and have finally made Extra and I would just like to see it in print. I guess I am just anxious.

Thanks for all your answers. I will just have to wait. I will use /AE when I use the additional bandspace.

73s

K2OWK
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 04:03:13 PM »

KG6AF, There is no particular reason for any rush. I would just like to see it. I have been a General class for more then 50 years and have finally made Extra and I would just like to see it in print. I guess I am just anxious.

Sure, I can understand that.

By the way, since I failed to say it before, congrats on passing the Extra!
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »

I would like to let this forum know that I took the test on May 12, 2012 and passed (thanks for the congrats KG6AF). As of today May 31, 2012 I am still not in the database. I am still trying to find out whats going on.

I will keep you posted if I ever finally get into the database.

Very aggravating, after so much study to pass the test.

73s

K2OWK
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 05:46:04 PM »

Good news--it was granted today!

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3195825

This page shows Extra Class status with an effective date of 5/31/12.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 07:09:53 PM »

Thank you KG6AF, One of my VEs called me this evening to tell me I was in the data base. I must have gone in late today, but thank heaven I am finally in. Took over 50 years to make Extra, but now I feel good. The VE is going to check to see why it took so long to get listed, and he will let me know at the next club meeting. Thanks to everyone.

73s

K2OWK
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 12:12:05 PM »

Thank you KG6AF, One of my VEs called me this evening to tell me I was in the data base. I must have gone in late today, but thank heaven I am finally in. Took over 50 years to make Extra, but now I feel good. The VE is going to check to see why it took so long to get listed, and he will let me know at the next club meeting. Thanks to everyone.

73s

K2OWK

Who cares so long as it is in there now. I would not go want anyone going around shaking the trees to see what falls out WRT my license because one of those pink elephants that hides in cherry trees might just fall out and hurt someone Smiley

Those elephants are very good at hiding up there in those branches as I bet you've never noticed them before. Most folks don't. You have to get prepared to go 'elephant in a tree' hunting and it usually takes all Saturday evening to get ready to go  Grin

Let sleeping dogs lie and enjoy your new Extra Class priviledges. Sounds like you've earned them after 5 decades. Congrats!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »

Who cares so long as it is in there now. I would not go want anyone going around shaking the trees to see what falls out WRT my license ...

Two answers:

1. As a VE, I would care. I would want to know what failed in the process, so that this doesn't happen again with one of my candidates.

2. As a candidate, I'm the curious type--I'd want to know just because it would always bug me why MY application went wrong. And unless I knew that something was suspicious at the test (like I only saw two VEs, or I saw someone else cheating), I'd know that my license was safe.

Steve
W3HF
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 10:59:37 AM »

Who cares so long as it is in there now. I would not go want anyone going around shaking the trees to see what falls out WRT my license ...

Two answers:

1. As a VE, I would care. I would want to know what failed in the process, so that this doesn't happen again with one of my candidates.

2. As a candidate, I'm the curious type--I'd want to know just because it would always bug me why MY application went wrong. And unless I knew that something was suspicious at the test (like I only saw two VEs, or I saw someone else cheating), I'd know that my license was safe.

Steve
W3HF

As a VE,  if you follow the set forth processes, there should not be any problems in the process failing. A single instance of a delayed posting of test results is not a world crisis. If you start to see a pattern then I would investigate but remember we are dealing with government bureaucracy here and there is always some foul up somewhere. If there weren't, then the government could do twice as much with half as many employees at 4 times the rate and be in the black, not multi-trillion $$$ in the hole.  The FCC might actually have some TEETH in a full staffed and FUNDED Enforcement Bureau.

The OP noted that it was delayed but finally showed up. End of problem in my book.

BTW I am also a VE.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:53 AM »

As a VE,  if you follow the set forth processes, there should not be any problems in the process failing. A single instance of a delayed posting of test results is not a world crisis. If you start to see a pattern then I would investigate but remember we are dealing with government bureaucracy here and there is always some foul up somewhere. If there weren't, then the government could do twice as much with half as many employees at 4 times the rate and be in the black, not multi-trillion $$$ in the hole.  The FCC might actually have some TEETH in a full staffed and FUNDED Enforcement Bureau.

The OP noted that it was delayed but finally showed up. End of problem in my book.

BTW I am also a VE.

Gene W5DQ

Gene -

No, it's not world crisis. But I don't want to be the VE who has to explain to an applicant who has spent weeks studying why HIS application is the one that failed to process promptly.

And we're not dealing with the government bureaucracy here. The FCC has delegated the actual processing of license applications to the VECs. Yes, it's the FCC computers that actually record the data, but it's a real live person at one of the VECs that enters the data (into a VEC computer) that is uploaded to the FCC. The FCC action is almost instantaneous--it's the VECs that have the real work to do. So the failure here would have been at one of the VECs, and they're much more amenable to process improvement than the federal government.

Steve
W3HF
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: