Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non-ham items at hamfests  (Read 23966 times)
KC9GMX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 08:57:48 PM »

If the principle reason behind the event is the sale of ham gear--no matter how much there is, 10% or 90%--and the event organizer is a ham radio club and the event is to benefit that club, then why not call it a hamfest?  That is what it is.  

If I spent a ton of gas money, take a day off of work, drive over an hour, and get to a "hamfest" with 10% ham related items, you can be sure that I am going to be pi**ed off.
I dont go to a hamfest so the sponsoring club can make money. If they need my money that bad, I will be happy to mail them a yearly donation of whatever the admission price to their "hamfest" is. But dont waist my time and money because they wanted to sell table spots and make the event "look full and busy".
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »

If the principle reason behind the event is the sale of ham gear--no matter how much there is, 10% or 90%--and the event organizer is a ham radio club and the event is to benefit that club, then why not call it a hamfest?  That is what it is.  

If I spent a ton of gas money, take a day off of work, drive over an hour, and get to a "hamfest" with 10% ham related items, you can be sure that I am going to be pi**ed off.
I dont go to a hamfest so the sponsoring club can make money. If they need my money that bad, I will be happy to mail them a yearly donation of whatever the admission price to their "hamfest" is. But dont waist my time and money because they wanted to sell table spots and make the event "look full and busy".

Frankly, I would agree with this.

Hamfests taht have related material don't bother me.  Ones that have lots of things that don't pertain do.  The current biggest offenders though are the ham seller that don't get that old doesn't always mean antique.  If I need a dual band VHF/UHF radio for some side project, I don't want to pay brand new prices, thus me shopping for one at a hamfest.  I never can get over the idea that people expect us to pay near new prices for rigs that are 10 years old and have no warranty or repairability.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »

You don't go to the hamfest so that the sponsoring club can make money?  Are you nuts?
If our local clubs didn't allow all types of sales, the events would not support themselves.
Admission tickets do raise some $ but increasingly I hear (especially from the YL's) that
craft show admission is usually free, 'why do you guys charge'?  Craft shows do make money
and usually they make more on a per head basis than most hamfests.  Perhaps their audience
is more inclined to spend.  Then there is also the thought that E-Bay has replaced the hamfest.
At least at the hamfest you can see and touch what you are buying.  But E-Bay has the advantage
of making every day a hamfest to the vendor.
Art, N9AOP
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2012, 05:34:54 AM »

The end purpose of a hamfest isn't just to supply any ham with gear that he or she may need.  The end purpose of a hamfest is to get hams together to support the sponsors of that hamfest.  Usually that sponsor is a club or organization that is there to support and promote ham radio.

Alos, hamfests (the better ones, anyway) should be family affairs where the ham's entire family can be fairly comfortable in looking around and enjoying themselves.  Don't take this personally, but attitudes like yours are all too close to the 'me first' attitude of all too many people these days.

The type hamfest you want is the regional affair that is what Dayton and other "ham radio only" gatherings are, not what a local, average club hamfest is.  73.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »

The end purpose of a hamfest isn't just to supply any ham with gear that he or she may need.  The end purpose of a hamfest is to get hams together to support the sponsors of that hamfest.  Usually that sponsor is a club or organization that is there to support and promote ham radio.

Alos, hamfests (the better ones, anyway) should be family affairs where the ham's entire family can be fairly comfortable in looking around and enjoying themselves.  Don't take this personally, but attitudes like yours are all too close to the 'me first' attitude of all too many people these days.

The type hamfest you want is the regional affair that is what Dayton and other "ham radio only" gatherings are, not what a local, average club hamfest is.  73.

I disagree.  Most of the hamfests that I have been to, and all the hamfests in my area are ham radio focused.  They are not generic "family fun days".   

If a ham radio club advertises their event to be such a "family fun day", then you would go to it expecting to see other things.   If they advertise a ham fest, they you expect to see real radio stuff for sale and not a bunch of unrelated stuff.

If you drive a hour or more and you are expecting thing 2, and you get thing 1, you have a right to be unhappy and disappointed.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 05:13:50 AM »

So the next time you're 'disappointed', why don't you tell the hamfest organizers that you want things done your way.  Chances are that they'll laugh at you.  Your only recourse is not to go--and if you're looking for a particular piece of older equipment, you'll probably go anyway.

Unless there are promises made of certain things or certain dealers that are supposed to be present at that 'fest, there isn't really much that you can do about it if there are non ham related things for sale there.  I repeat, the hamfest is put on primarily to benefit the organization that is putting it on, not to satisfy any one ham that goes there.  If that organization is selling table space, they would be foolish to turn people away because some--or most--of what they're selling isn't ham radio equipment. 

On the other hand, some hams go to those just to get together and ragchew--and they could care less about what's for sale.

Of course, you could always throw a temper tantrum and cry about "non-ham" sales at the gathering.  Hey--remember that there's always e-bay. 
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 08:55:54 AM »

I see absolutely nothing wrong with letting the Free Market work. 

If sellers of nonham stuff make a profit at a hamfest, then its a win-win situation for both the seller and the Amateur Radio Club sponsoring said event.

If the sellers of nonham stuff don't do so well in the marketplace, expect them to think twice about spending the money and time for a return trip.

I prefer that to the "nazi" approach, we have enough of that already as it is...

W8ATA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 08:40:34 PM »

Never could understand or relate to getting one's knickers all in a knot about non-ham items at hamfests. I go to enjoy myself and see buddies from around Ohio and beyond. A treasure or bargain found is a bonus.

And the ham who followed his XYL into a Goodwill Store didn't complain about actually finding a Yaesu FT-1000Mark IV for
$150 didn't complain about it being there. Instead he bought it.

Russ

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: