Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 6-BTV  (Read 4244 times)
WB4CVB

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »

I was outside edging weeds in the backyard and as I got close to the 6-BTV, I noticed that the lower end of the mounting bracket was bent downward, now the question is: Did this happen from natural aging of the metal or did someone try to stand on it?  The antenna's been up for 12 years.
Can it be bent back or do I need a new bracket?
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

If it still seems to work the way it always has why not leave it alone?
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 01:59:21 PM »

A picture would help.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »

I seriously doubt that 'natural aging' could be the reason. Metal just does not change it's form without a force being applied. At the very short lever the bracket provides there got to be quite some force. So trying to stand on it could be a possibility. Any kids around? Windload also seems doubtful.
Check the bolts and as UM says leave it if it works. The more you bend metal the more you weaken it.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »

DX Engineering sells the bits and pieces to keep an old Hustler BTV going.
WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »

How can I add a picture to this message?
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 09:40:53 PM »

You need to have a website where you can upload the picture and give us the link here.
WC5B

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »

Even after 12 years I find it seriously hard to imagine that bracket bending unless you have had it mounted horizontal for those 12 years. I would say it would have needed some direct help, like being hit by a small car parking or maybe kids swinging on it and pulling it downwords from the antenna. Even then, I would suspect the first aluminum section to give way before the mount.
WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 07:21:32 AM »

Photo Link

http://http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/ll289/indiciumgroup/Antenna/
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »

Only two things could cause this. One is someone stepping on it and the other is possible water in mast the froze and pushed plug at mast base out. I would dismantle base to remove mast and straighten bracket and re-assemble. It is not bent far enough to seriously weaken it and cause it to crack when straightened.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »

Looks more like attempted vandalism.  Do you have a weird neighbor?
Maybe you need to put up cameras in the backyard.
  One person did this a decade ago (camera in backyard) .. Found out his neighbor was stealing fuel oil from his tank ... Explained the higher fuel usage he could not trace!!
WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 04:10:34 PM »

I had thought of the freezing possibility as I haven't looked closely at it a couple of years and we did have a lot of very cold days in Januuary 2011.  As to the wired neigbors, I have a few and some of the kids were interested in the antenna a few years ago.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

It looks like someone stood on it.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »

I had thought of the freezing possibility as I haven't looked closely at it a couple of years and we did have a lot of very cold days in Januuary 2011.  As to the wired neigbors, I have a few and some of the kids were interested in the antenna a few years ago.

There is supposed to be a drain hole to prevent water from collecting in mast base. If it did freeze with water in itm the mast is very thick walled and it would have pushed plug out instead of bursting tubing.

WB4CVB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »

Any suggestions on bending it back to its normal position?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: