Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 2 meter vertical base antenna?  (Read 27583 times)
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »

Suprisingly, the Hustler Colinear mobile whip with radial kit makes a pretty good base station antenna and is not as obvious as a huge fibreglass pole up in the air. Or as expensive. I got the NOS antenna for about 18$ and the radial kit was about the same. It was an old antenna but still in the shrink on the card packaging. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »

Suprisingly, the Hustler Colinear mobile whip with radial kit makes a pretty good base station antenna and is not as obvious as a huge fibreglass pole up in the air. Or as expensive. I got the NOS antenna for about 18$ and the radial kit was about the same. It was an old antenna but still in the shrink on the card packaging. 

I used one of these for many years on a bumper mount and even a roof mount at times when traveling the Great Plains and Rockies in years past and it worked well (noticeable better than a 5/8 wave)

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KO4XJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:51 AM »

Aaron I have used a homebrew j-pole for many years, many things have been said but WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WITH THIS ANTENNA is the question. Do you just want to the hit a few local repeaters? Are you trying to hit a repeater 50 miles or farther away? Where I'm at, western Ky, My 20 year old j-pole (copper) is at the approx 45 feet, feed with some old radio shack coax (it was all I had at the time) and is installed on a piece of PVC at the top of the mast on a 40' tower. It's been here at this location for 10 years and survived winds of 60+ and ice storms. I can hit repeaters 45 miles away with 40-50 watts but I usually use it for local stuff. I've since put a used Diamond x-510 up on another tower and the base of that antenna is at 70'....and yes WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Again, what are your plans for this installation? The j-pole works and fun to build and would be able to pull into the trees

Good luck and 73
John
KO4XJ
W4JST

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »

For the base antenna:

I am looking to primarily operate 2 meter FM simplex. As long distance as possible.
Definitely not just looking for something to hit a few local repeaters, my horizontal antenna will do that.

Regarding the mobile I mentioned:

I have been testing a 1/4 wave versus a 5/8 wave on the vehicle. To actually see the difference side by side I have both antenna installed at the same time and switch back in forth with an antenna switch.

The two antennas have been extremely close, can't tell them apart, in most situations.
Depending on who I am talking to and their setup, I have seen times where the 5/8 was better and times where the 1/4 wave was better, but most of the time it's not noticeable and I can't say the 5/8 wave always wins.

I primarily use it for 2 meter simplex.

I think I'll keep the 1/4 wave for a few reasons:
Height was not a concern, but if the 5/8 wave doesn't work any better, I might as well just use a 1/4 wave.
The 1/4 wave does not have a matching coil to worry about, it will handle the power.
and it's resonant on 440 so it's suitable for crossband repeat or 440 contacts.

AK4E

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:56 AM »

Of all the antennas I have used, the ARX2 (Ringo Ranger) is the best vertical I find to do the job. It's light yet strong and so easy to tune and erect.

AK4E
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »

I think I'll keep the 1/4 wave for a few reasons:
Height was not a concern, but if the 5/8 wave doesn't work any better, I might as well just use a 1/4 wave.
The 1/4 wave does not have a matching coil to worry about, it will handle the power.
and it's resonant on 440 so it's suitable for crossband repeat or 440 contacts.

Problem with a 1/4 wave 2m whip on 440 as a 3/4 wave is that it has a much higher radiation angle and little power in lobe at or near ground level. In years past I compared it to a 6.5 inch 1/4 wave 440 antenna on a roof mount and it was MUCH better than the 3/4 wave antenna on reception and accessing repeaters.  This poor mans dual band antenna is a poor performer on 440.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »

Asking what is the "best" is kind of like asking what car is best........   

I look at the good old Phelps-Dodge Super StationMaster as one of the "Best" two meter vertical antennas......    But may be a little more money than you want to pay for a ham station.

As mentioned, Hustler makes some good antennas, Along with Comet, And Diamond.  (I would avoid the cheaper "knock off" made in China antennas. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.)

But I strongly suggest you get a dual band VHF/UHF antenna, NOT just a two meter antenna.  There are just too many reasons to also utilize 440 at some point in the future, Even if you don't have a radio for that band just yet.

KC9GMX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 07:19:00 PM »

I love my DB-408 for UHF and DB-224 for VHF.
They are very big. These are commercial type repeater antennas, but the ones I have have great SWR in the ham bands. No tuning needed.
A friend of mine got a DB-224 at Dayton this year for $40!
Steeven KC9GMX
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 04:03:12 AM »

One thing that you've got to watch out for in the used commercial repeater antenna market is that some of those antennas were custom made (cut and tuned) for a specific frequency in the band they're made for.
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »

Thought about building one of these mega stacked colinears . http://www.rason.org/Projects/collant/collant.htm
Finished height for the 2 meter version is about 26 foot.   
W4JST

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2012, 06:20:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for the great replies!

I'm still waiting on some low loss coax or hardline. I prefer to make an antenna and still haven't decided what I will go with yet.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: