Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 6BTV questions  (Read 1353 times)
N1UMJ

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »

Hi, after waiting all winter I finally thought today would be a great day to put up my hustler 6BTV with the 17 meter add on kit. Now, 15 meters, 40, and 75 were very high SWR.. I took the 17 meter add on kit off because I couldn't get that down either, and 15 meters came in where I like it, 10 was perfect after a little more adjusting, it went up without that add on kit but now it's perfect, 15 I like, 20 was always great but 40 and 75 are no good at all. Now, I didn't put the radials in yet because I stupidly lost the wires I had for them, idiot I am usually but I'd think if I can get the other bands good, I should be able to get them to work as well without and add them if I find the wire or when i go buy more. Does anyone have any ideas? my other fear is that it's too close to the house in which case I'll never have any hope of ever getting on those bands again but hopefully that's not the case. I'm in a mobile home park and have as much clearance as I can. The antenna is ground mounted.
N0OKS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »

Put in the radials now, before you fiddle with your antenna any more. Everything will change on your antenna once you get some radials in. So there is nor point in trying to adjust your antenna now. I have 1,200 feet of radials laying on the ground. Four of them are 65 feet. Eight are 55 feet and the rest are 25 to 30 feet.

Mark, NØOKS
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »

The 6BTV went up without that add on kit but now it's perfect, 15 I like, 20 was always great but 40 and 75 are no good at all.
Now, I didn't put the radials in yet because I stupidly lost the wires I had for them, idiot I am usually but I'd think if I can get the other bands good, I should be able to get them to work as well without and add them if I find the wire or when i go buy more.
Does anyone have any ideas?
GET your radial field in order .... that is 90% of your problem.  
40 and 80 meters are non-starters without good radials for return.

Urban legend ... I have great soil conductivity.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:47:47 PM by W9GB » Logged
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:52:21 PM »

If you didn't get from DX engineering, go to their web site and down load the manual. Well done and will walk you through set up. Also do the radials per manual. Save you a lot of effort. Antenna analyzer is big help too. Use my 5BTV for portable, ground mounted.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:47:44 AM »

The 6BTV will work well with radials 15' long. Longer is of course better with 25' being very good.

How close to your house is the 6BTV. I have used a 6BTV 12' from a house and it tuned up nicely but 3' away it would not tune.
N1UMJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:45:26 AM »

I mistypped it's the 5btv but that doens't matter for the responses. I have the original installation manual and the dxEngeneering one. I'll go back out today and see if I can find the radial wires, I can't imagine where I could have put them. I'll see if that helps but I'd think I could get it close without. I was using the MFJ-209 to check it while tuning. As for how far it is from the house, I'm thinking that's part of my problem, I had to split the difference between not being too close to the house, and not laying it down too far in to what I think is the neighbor's yard though here there's no divider of any kind and no one knows where the property lines are, and keeping it away from the aluminum shed so it's probably 6 feet from the house, 10 from the shed, 30 feet from the back of the neighbor's house. I had it tuned on 10, 15 after I took off the 17 meter add on, and 20 though understandably not performing with no radials, 40 SWR was no lower than 5.4, the top of 75 where I'd want to be was around 6.8. I don't know if weather's decent today I'll go out, find those radials or something else I can use even if just for now to try things and give it another shot.
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

If the antenna is ground mounted radial length is not an issue.  So stop looking for something you may never find and just go to the home center and buy a spool of solid copper ~ 500 feet of 14-16 awg with black insulation.  Cut the lawn a bit lower than normal, Lay out the radial wire in a pattern that fits your location and use pieces of old wire hanger cut into 6 in long staples to hold them down.  By early summer the grass will have grown to cover the wire and the black insulation will hide them as well.

The BTV design needs a radial field to work properly, when ground mounted to a point more is better.

Keep us posted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: