Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me out  (Read 3669 times)
KD5TXX

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:12:21 PM »

Hello all.  I am a die hard QRPer.  I use my 817 every chance I can.  Campouts hotels, even in the driveway while my kids ride their bikes.  HOWEVER....  I am going to the beach next week with the family..and more family...I have been trying to sell them on HAM radio for years.  We will all be in the same condo.  On the 18th floor, with a balcony looking over the gulf.  Should I take the 817 and PAR EF 10/20/40 to use or the TS 50 and a dipole?  Only one rig will go.  What to do?
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »

I'd go with the TS-50 and dipole.  If you're trying to impress people, sometimes QRP isn't enough.  But you can always turn down the TS-50 to QRP levels if you want.  See the 40-10 meter portable dipole I use on the condo balcony when I'm in Port Aransas.  Info is in the "Articles" section at www.ad5x.com.

Phil - AD5X
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »

This being the QRP section I'd have to recommend the FT817 Wink
KD5TXX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:19:33 AM »

Ok.  On the trip now.  I brought them both.  From the eighteenth floor with wireless and all the other noise the 817 is useless.  The ts 50 has been alright.  Worked Russia. Canada. Italy etc.  Lots of antenna experiments.  Works best with a 15m dipole as a sloper. Will try the ts 50 with 10 watts but not promising.  I bet if I carried the 817 to the beach id do lots better.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »

Yes, on the beach with a vertical you could get amazing results.
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »

Try it and find out! Sounds like you made a good decision to take both along. Hope you're getting a few more interested in the hobby.
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 03:15:21 PM »

Ok.  On the trip now.  I brought them both.  From the eighteenth floor with wireless and all the other noise the 817 is useless.  The ts 50 has been alright.  Worked Russia. Canada. Italy etc.  Lots of antenna experiments.  Works best with a 15m dipole as a sloper. Will try the ts 50 with 10 watts but not promising.  I bet if I carried the 817 to the beach id do lots better.

Indeed you will, QRP and a decent vertical from the beach is fantastic, I speak from experience with this as a lot of my backpack and QRP DXing is done from the beach area, truly unbelievable distances can be covered with very little power, of course timing and conditions not withstanding Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: