Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is cable tv earth grounded?  (Read 4966 times)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 05:14:23 PM »

it has been written (I don't have my code book with me) that you will have one common bonding point, that at the main entrance panel.  thence to two points opposing outside the building shall be tied to earth ground via a ground rod with max of #6 copper in a residence.  and all extraneous electrical connections entering the house bonded to the common point.

rather like the audio freaks tie all grounding to a common point at the chassis, internal and external.

satellite TV is notorious for being ungrounded, and apparently the cable installers in our neck of the woods trying to get their 17 quality jobs fobbed off in an hour to meet quota aren't getting it done, either.  legally, they are supposed to come back out and do what it takes to make ground.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 07:48:12 AM »

The real problem is that installers of cable, satellite--heck even land line phone drops, just ground their equipment to the closest cold water pipe and figure that the job is done.  Heck, I even saw one where the technician (and I use the term loosely) tied a ground wire to the screw on a romex clamp on a nearby junction box!

These technicians don't have the knowledge or the tools to determine if a ground point IS grounded.  If the home water supply line from a street main is plastic--as a lot of them are now when replaced--the ground point is GONE!  They'll cover by saying that they did as they were instructed to do, tie into an existing ground.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: