Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital QST magazine launched last night  (Read 6352 times)
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2012, 04:30:04 AM »

Just checked it out, and ARRL did a great job with it. You can download or read online. Looks great both on the computer and iPad. Good resource to have!  It's free with your regular subscription, and the paper magazine still comes unless you tell them you don't want it. http://www.arrl.org/qst
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »

Can you actually tell them you don't want the paper magazine now? That's one of the main reasons I quit renewing my membership. I have no desire for paper anymore.

I realize that they get extra revenue from the print ads, and that's why the mandatory subscription.
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »

The way I understand the "welcome to the digital version" video, you can tell them to stop sending the paper magazine and get only the digital one. Membership price is the same, though, I'm sure.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:04 PM »

Can you actually tell them you don't want the paper magazine now? That's one of the main reasons I quit renewing my membership. I have no desire for paper anymore.

I realize that they get extra revenue from the print ads, and that's why the mandatory subscription.

That is a pretty dumb reason not to support the only lobby organisation we have for Hamradio.
It doesn't help our Post Office system either.  Cheesy Personally I like the paper mags, I get QST and CQ. I like to read them in the bathroom, where it is difficult to get the computer. Grin Grin

Subscribing to QST and supporting the ARRL is worth the $$. Their website alone with acess to back issues is worth the price by itself.

Do yourself a favor, subscribe and when you get the paper mags give them away, put them in a Doctors waiting room or whatever. Then you can go to your computer and read the mag paperless and feel good about it. You will be helping the post office too, another reason to feel good.

The new Digital mag has the advertising and it looks professional. Nice job ARRL. I still want my paper mag every month tho...

Stan K9IUQ
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 06:38:38 PM »

The way I understand the "welcome to the digital version" video, you can tell them to stop sending the paper magazine and get only the digital one. Membership price is the same, though, I'm sure.

That is good news then.
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:01:33 PM »

That is a pretty dumb reason not to support the only lobby organisation we have for Hamradio.
It doesn't help our Post Office system either.  Cheesy Personally I like the paper mags, I get QST and CQ. I like to read them in the bathroom, where it is difficult to get the computer. Grin Grin

Subscribing to QST and supporting the ARRL is worth the $$. Their website alone with acess to back issues is worth the price by itself.

Do yourself a favor, subscribe and when you get the paper mags give them away, put them in a Doctors waiting room or whatever. Then you can go to your computer and read the mag paperless and feel good about it. You will be helping the post office too, another reason to feel good.

The new Digital mag has the advertising and it looks professional. Nice job ARRL. I still want my paper mag every month tho...

Stan K9IUQ

Well, not to get too political, but I think fewer lobbyists, no matter if they're for something I believe in or not, are a good thing!

When I was a member I used the past issues online as a resource quite often. But the paper edition was just not worth it. I'd usually flip though the new issue when it came in, but then it would get set aside and forgotten until spring cleaning, when it ended up in the recycling bin.

These days I'm reading everything on a tablet or smartphone. I realize I'm the exception in the ham radio world, but once you get used to having a library and newsstand (and movie player) in an easy to carry package you wonder how you ever got on without it. Now that I don't have to get the paper version (and can have electronic editions on my tablet), I'll join up again.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 08:19:01 AM »

The digital version has one fatal flaw for me, it is REALLY hard to take into the can and read!
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »

I like the paper version.  I loan them out to folks interested in the hobby.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »

The digital version has one fatal flaw for me, it is REALLY hard to take into the can and read!

Smiley  Not if you have a smartphone and wifi in the house.  Smiley
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:45 PM »

Smiley  Not if you have a smartphone and wifi in the house.  Smiley

Or a laptop or a Kindle or an iPod and wifi.
Phil - AD5X
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »

That's where tablet devices rock!
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »

I guess I'm old fashioned but I simply can't deal with a digital version of a magazine or book.  I look forward to each and every issue of QST and spend a great deal of time going through it , cover to cover.

I tried the digital version of The American Rifleman from the NRA and after about 3 months went back to paper. 

I have no idea what it is but I find it difficult to read and retain much when I read it on a computer screen but the printed word stays with me. 

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 04:14:30 AM »

I guess I'm old fashioned but I simply can't deal with a digital version of a magazine or book. 

I own a tablet and love to read books on it. However newspapers and magazines just do not look right on a tablet, even a large one. It is even worse on the computer. Reading a book on a computer just does not feel right. Why have a magazine on a computer? Just do a full blown web page, forget about trying to make a magazine on a computer look like a paper magazine.

Stan K9IUQ
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 05:46:32 AM »

Yep, I could take my netbook or android into the can with me.  However, I don't know how long it would survive in that corrosive atmosphere!  Roll Eyes
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 07:47:19 AM »

RUL: Not only that but if you run out of paper you can't tear a page out of your Android! Grin
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: