Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital QST magazine launched last night  (Read 7003 times)
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »

So if nothing else, it got me to re-up my membership.

I like the viewer (even the cheesy effects), the fact that all the links are active (just click and go), and that there are a few things labeled "digital edition only." Also that it's happy with Linux browsers.

The company that is "distributing" the magazine also has an Android app, but doesn't list QST in their library. Hopefully that means it won't be long until we see a tablet-friendly edition.
KB3YLQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 04:13:29 AM »

So if nothing else, it got me to re-up my membership.

I like the viewer (even the cheesy effects), the fact that all the links are active (just click and go), and that there are a few things labeled "digital edition only." Also that it's happy with Linux browsers.

The company that is "distributing" the magazine also has an Android app, but doesn't list QST in their library. Hopefully that means it won't be long until we see a tablet-friendly edition.

Just navigate to it on your tablet browser. Looks beautiful on my iPad. Smiley
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »

when you get the paper mags give them away, put them in a Doctors waiting room or whatever.

Great suggestion.
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »

I prefer the paper version. Has not let me down yet. I can take it wherever I go if i desire. No need to worry about hauling around a tablet, keeping batteries charged and all that junk. Bothers my eyes reading long articles on computer screens. I find the print version much easier for me to read. I'm not really knocking tablets, they are handy tools and have their uses but either way you go has it's pro's and cons.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »

The sad part is that in less than 10 years there may be no more print magazines.
I really love my paper magazines but I guess the new Technology just makes it less and less practical or should I say the increase in profits makes print less and less attractive.

Lucky for us ARRL is not profit motivated organization but serves the Ham community, so we should have print editions available for many more years to come.
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 10:57:23 AM »

OK now, what's the cost?
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »

The sad part is that in less than 10 years there may be no more print magazines.
I really love my paper magazines but I guess the new Technology just makes it less and less practical or should I say the increase in profits makes print less and less attractive.

Lucky for us ARRL is not profit motivated organization but serves the Ham community, so we should have print editions available for many more years to come.

One way to look at it is the loss of the high tactile experience of paper. Another way to look at it is you can have your library with you all the time. The tablet I'm posting this on, from a hotel room has 50 books, several magazines and countless pdf files, not to mention the entire world wide web. Yes, I'm not reading all 50 at this time, but it is nice to have them available for reference (btw they are all searchable and indexed). Over time I hope to have any manuals I might need for work, radio and or my cars on here too.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 04:18:48 AM »

A ham in the can trying to wipe with spam? No thanks ,I'll stick with the mags and corn cobs the Maine way.   
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »

Another way to look at it is you can have your library with you all the time. The tablet I'm posting this on, from a hotel room has 50 books, several magazines and countless pdf files, not to mention the entire world wide web. Yes, I'm not reading all 50 at this time, but it is nice to have them available for reference (btw they are all searchable and indexed). Over time I hope to have any manuals I might need for work, radio and or my cars on here too.

I agree that those are all great benefits. But I also see some drawbacks. For example, I own my print books and magazines, which will still be readable after I'm dead. By comparison, the few digital books I own might have to be repurchased a few years from now simply because that format or device is dead or obsolete.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: