Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TM-D710A Xband repeat  (Read 2986 times)
KK4ITQ

Ignore
« on: May 23, 2012, 12:43:09 PM »

Hi;
Can anyone tell me if I enable the automatic station identification on XBand which channel it announces on or does it announce on both?  Example: HT to Xband on UHF - Xband to repeater on VHF.  Then repeater to Xband on VHF and Xband to HT on UHF.  I do not want the unit to generate an ID going to the repeater, but I do want it to generate an ID going from the Xband to the HT on UHF.

I did not find it in the manual or online elsewhere.  I will test it, but thought I would ask first.

KK4ITQ
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 06:31:53 AM »

The first question is crossbanding to a repeater a good idea? I tried it once and both the repeater and my radio got locked up in a big knot. That didn't get any favorable comments from the control operator.

unlike local radio operation, the problem comes from you not being able to talk once the repeater keys up your x-band radio.

It might work if you can set up your x-band to only repeat what it hears from your handheld and then listen to  the repeater live (w/o going through your x-band radio. That would prevent the lock-up.

In any case, you might want to ask the repeater's control op. for advice, first.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 06:34:12 AM by K7RBW » Logged
KK4ITQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 07:22:09 AM »

Thanks,
The President of the club (of which I am a member) that controls the repeater asked me to check out xband with the repeater to see if we could get coverage in areas with HT's that were not strong enough to hit the repeater (emergency situations).  So far, no lock-ups, but we do not want the auto ID of the mobile xband to go through the repeater.  Each operator using the xband would ID themselves going out to the repeater.  The trick is that we DO want the Xband unit to ID going back to the HT's.

The solution you suggest would work nicley if the HT's in question had the ability to receive on two frequencies.  Not all of our HT's do.  The TM-D710 will do as you suggest (push one way to the repeater from the HT's).

I am sure we will have other issues.  :-)

KK4ITQ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:58:12 AM »

I started using xband repeat about 20 years ago. My first one was a modded TM-701 then a 732 and 733. It was very reliable. I used it to extend HT range in remote areas as it would link to mobile then mobile to repeater transparently. I would put the input/control on PL or DCS to prevent unwanted access to uplink.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4ITQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:15:37 PM »

Thanks,
I did as you sugested and used a DCS tone on both the HT's and the Mobile.  Any advice on how to get a station ID on the link from the mobile UHF frequency back to the HT?
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:36:46 PM »

If the D710 operates the same way as my V71A, the station ID is sent out on both sides of the crossband.
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »

I'm glad that this looks like it's working for you but I'm not sure what the problem is with the X-band repeater's ID coming through the main repeater? How is that any different than when a regular user IDs their station by voice?

When I say, "K7RBW" on a repeater input, it comes out on the repeater output and no one thinks I'm the repeater. I've seen the same thing on linked repeaters where each repeater's ID comes out on the others. The legal requirement is for  a xmtr to ID. If that ID is repeated, what's the problem?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: