Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: User CP Replies on this forum?  (Read 6064 times)
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »

"Confessor in Etan Patz killing has mental health issues."
80 years ago that headline would have been  "Confessor in killing is raving lunatic."

I still don't know what "CP" is?

I agree there are too many acronyms thrown around which makes it hard to shop for a new DUC/DDC SDR. The Flex-6000 will arrive with several additions to the radio lexicon...  such as Flex's futuristic sounding "Spectral Capture Unit" [SCU} Didn't Bill Murray use one in Ghostbusters?

Each of the two Spectral Capture Units allows simultaneous
reception from their own respective antenna or the two can
be optimally combined to deliver increased dynamic range. In
addition, dual SCUs provide the capability for diversity reception

KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2012, 12:00:03 PM »

"A man who claims to have abducted and strangled Etan Patz, who vanished 33 years ago Friday, has suffered from bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and hallucinations,...".
Actually this is more sloppy reporting, since one can't be diagnosed with both Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia.  If he has symptoms of both that is a third disorder called SchizoAffective Disorder.

Not that accuracy or truth matter anymore to the media.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »

Stayvertical has given an excellent functional explanation of how language is used to tell not only about an event but (perhaps more importantly) about the background of the person reporting the event.  Ham radio jargon is another example of how the particular word one chooses communicates as much about the speaker as about the object of his speech.  A ham may have a "QTH," rather than a location... a "handle," rather than a name.  A "linear," rather than an amplifier (even if it is Class C)   - particularly if he or she is a "newbie."

English, supposedly,  has the largest vocabulary of any language.  I suspect this may have happened because of a preoccupation with class and where everyone fits into the social order.  I also think it is because the English weren't above stealing anything that wasn't nailed down - including perfectly good foreign words! Supposedly the main effect of the Norman conquest was the importation of about 20,000 French words into the English language.  Later on the English had a pretty big empire for a while and managed to "borrow" thousands of words from the many languages of their colonial possessions.

The usage of many current words often makes my toes curl.  "Issue" for "problem".  "Impacted" for "affected."  "Awesome" for the most insignificant and mundane sorts of things. etc. Much as current usage and ab-usage of good old words bothers me, I believe that this is the way languages evolve and there really isn't much any of us can do to stop it.

The French apparently are extremely concerned with linguistic purity and seem determined not to import words into their language.  I'm still not sure whether their linguistic guardians have decided whether or not to recognize "le hamburger" as a legitimate French word.

BTW, I have no idea what "CP" means but I'm sure it's awesome, dude.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »

"I'm still not sure whether their linguistic guardians have decided whether or not to recognize "le hamburger" as a legitimate French word."

Would you like French fries with that?

Sorry,

Terry, WØFM

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2012, 03:35:13 PM »

So guys,

Just what the hell is 'CP' supposed to mean?

Puzzled - or is it just a troll?

G3RZP
G1YHE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 03:43:45 AM »

Please somebody state what CP means, the suspense is killing.

Smiley
N1EQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 04:21:35 AM »

FWIW, AFAICT, what the OP meant by "User CP" is "User Control Panel".

Anyway, IHTH!

Grin
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 07:08:42 AM »

Terry, W0FM,

the original was 'bifteck a la Hambourgeoise', and the relationship between the original recipe and MacDonalds or Burger King is more than somewhat vague.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 08:08:49 AM »

Remember all the "journalists" and "newscasters" called what happened on 9/11 a "tragedy"? 

It was in reality an Atrocity. 

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »

Like the old one about the difference between a catastrophe and a calamity.
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 05:03:55 PM »

aparantly   grandkodiak  doesnt come back to read replys to  his  messages  or  he would have  explained   CP  by  now....

Roll Eyes
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »

Evan Patz kills a child and has "issues", right........

Reminds me of all the TV programs that
refer to the "Vietnam Conflict". Yes, technically
war was never declared by Congress,
but 50k Americans dead and 150k wounded
is not a "conflict".

When you have tickets to a day game and the
boss won't give you the afternoon off is a "conflict"!
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 06:34:11 PM »

6 year old Etan Patz was the victim 33 years ago in Manhattan.  Terrible story. Disappeared the first day his parents allowed him to walk two blocks by himself to the bus stop. His parents never moved from their apartment or changed their listed phone number hoping Etan would come home some day. One of the first kids on a milk cartoon. NY police now have a confessed suspect "with issues."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Etan_Patz

Issues, problems, and a close modern cousin, challenges.

By the way the suspect is charged with the supreme sin by cable TV standards... he killed a cute photogenic white kid. Nancy Grace will go crazy over this!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:43:36 PM by K0OD » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »

15,000 dead is an issue, not a disaster, not a calamity. Apparently a $19 billion financial loss is just an issue too.

Popup in bold red text from an online brokerage site:

"Because of acknowledged problems at NASDAQ, some customers who placed orders for Facebook (FB) stock on Friday, May 18, 2012 may have experienced delays in status updates. This is an industry-wide issue that affected many different broker-dealers and other market participants. We realize that some customers still have questions about how these delays may have affected their trading activity. We understand that NASDAQ is working with federal regulators to determine what, if any, accommodation might be made. However, customers should assume that any shares of Facebook stock currently credited to their accounts are owned by them and available for trading. We will continue to work with the industry to get NASDAQ to come to a resolution that addresses the concerns of our customers."

And from Reuters:

"Two top U.S. financial regulators said the issues around the initial public offering of Facebook should be reviewed, putting fresh pressure on the company, its embattled lead underwriter and the Nasdaq.

After Friday's nearly flat close and Monday's 11 percent plunge, Facebook shares closed 8.9 percent lower at $31 on volume of 101 million shares. At that price the company has shed more than $19 billion in market capitalization from its $38-per-share offering price last week."
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 12:01:31 PM »

Haha perfect example... if this site HAD a User CP page, I would have remebered that I posted this question weeks ago!!

User CP, User Control Page... basically it's like a homepage in the forum (think notification alert dropdown on Facebook), like a homepage but the main feature is that (in most forum's I've used/use currently anyway) list your subscribed threads that have a new post, as a reminder and short link to let you know that someone has replied since you've last posted on that thread, and will disappear after you have clicked it to read the post.

In this example, after someone first responded, when I went into my CP page (which i usually set as my default location for the favorite page pointer address) it would have listed "eHam Formus\Misc\User CP Replies on this forum?" last poster "X" on June X 2012." I'd click that and it would bring up this post, so I could see that someone had responded. If I returned to the CP page after reading it, it would be blank now, or would show the remaining subscribed threads that had new updated info for me to check... so you don't have to remember what threads you have created, posted are want to monitor.

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: