Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Violation of law?  (Read 2621 times)
KE5UFG

Ignore
« on: May 25, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »

Bait car, a show on True TV.  Los Angeles County is using a VX-7r to control their bait car via DTMF tones.  It even has the 6 meter extension on the antenna.
 Huh Huh
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:24:31 AM »

I drive my wife crazy by finding things like this with TV programs.  I missed that one.  Must be old age.......
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 11:49:31 AM »

If it is a true ham radio, with frequency changing ability for the user, and on ham frequencies, yes, that is illegal.

Are you certain it isn't a commercial model that appears similar?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »

There is a legal 5MHz Business Band, also the Vertex line of commercial radios look dead identical to the Yaesu ham radio line. 

But the only way to be absolutely sure what is going on there would be to monitor frequencies close by an operation and find out what's going on. 

A long time ago, 6 meters was indeed the "Radio Control" band, used for remote control airplanes and vehicles, and required the old Technician class license for legal operation on such.  Doubt seriously that would be even considered today. 

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:57:30 AM »

Bait car, a show on True TV.  Los Angeles County is using a VX-7r to control their bait car via DTMF tones.  It even has the 6 meter extension on the antenna.
 Huh Huh
If this true, I wonder if all those that stole the bait car would get off if the Police are using 6 meters illegally.  The lawyers would have a field day (no pun intended) with this.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »

hi,

one of my favorite shows at 2AM to watch!

best bet is the radio is commercial not amateur.

One of the best episodes is when the dude
calls his buddy up and tells him he is driving a
new Cadillac Escalade that somebody left in the lot!

Buddy tells him on phone that he is in a Bait Car!

http://www.trutv.com/shows/bait_car/index.html

73 james
M0HCN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:20:00 AM »

If they were using 6M, well you can see the command code when it is typed in, and the cops have to drive the thing between locations......

Some fun could be had.

73, Dan.
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 02:43:55 PM »

If this true, I wonder if all those that stole the bait car would get off if the Police are using 6 meters illegally.  The lawyers would have a field day (no pun intended) with this.

I remember reading many years ago (I'm pretty sure it was in Popular Electronics, if that gives you an idea of just how long) about a guy who got caught in a speed trap in some small town. He did a little digging and found out that the town's license to use its radar guns had expired several months earlier. He contested the ticket, told the judge what he had found and the judge dismissed the ticket on the basis that the cop had used his equipment illegally.

So the answer to your question is probably "yes." But I hope the car thieves are too stupid to figure this out, if indeed it is the case.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »

Huh Huh

Did you see the Yaesu "VX-7R" model plate on the radio, in the TV show?

If so, that's really unusual; Vertex Standard makes other hand helds which look like a VX-7R but are for commercial/public service use and certified for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: