Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu Ft-920  (Read 2434 times)
KI4SJU

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2012, 03:48:52 PM »

I have a Radio Shack Super-Cardioid Dynamic MicrophoneModel: 33-128 | Catalog #: 33-128 that I would like to use instead of the hand mic. Can anyone help me in how to wire this mic to the 8 pin on the front of my radio? Will I have to have a foot switch of will I be able to turn the mic on and off with the switch on the mic? Thanks for all of your help! and 73's
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:01:59 PM »

Do you have the operator's manual for the radio?  It has the information about the connections you'll need to make.

However, that RS microphone is not going to be very good for communications purposes.  It's a studio quality mike, meaning it has a frequency response of pretty close to "DC to daylight".  A communications mike works with a much narrower audio bandwidth, generally something like from 300 to 3000 Hertz.  On top of that, the RS mike uses an "XLR" connector so you'll have to research how those connections will interface with the plug you'll have to use to connect to the radio.

I wouldn't take the connector off the microphone that came with the radio; it's probably better for this use than the RS mike.  Most radio stores should carry new connectors of the proper configuration.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »

The Mic may well be able to sound very good when properly connected to the target tranasceiver. 

The audio bandwidth limiting is a function of the rig's internal circuitry.  A Mic capable of more audio bandwidth than the rig can offer (NOT "DC to Daylight" at all, realistically it would be more like "Twenty to Twenty" or the Audio Engineer's jargon for "20Hz to 20KHz" audio) and the highs and lows outside of the radio's passband would simply not make it through the rig's circuits. 

The switch on the side of such mic is wired to short out the Audio line and thus mute the Mic when used through a PA system, etc.  While it might be possibe to rewire that switch to be used to operate the rig's PTT circuit, such would require a different type of cabling and plug to the mic to allow for the extra wiring to the rig.  A footswitch or hand trigger is a much better idea here, and is momentary, which is a good thing to have. 

KI4SJU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:25 AM »

Thanks for the help, I bought a 8 pin connector at Radio shack to use on the 920. All I need to do now is figure how to wire the 3 pin xlr to a 8 pin for the 920. Can anyone help?
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »

My primary rig for several years was the 920.  I had a nice mic on a boom wired to the rear connector.  Was a direct connect.  And the 920 allowed me to use my CW key as a PTT.

73, JP, K8AG
W4AMP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »

http://www.foxtango.org/ft-library/FT-Library/nineties/FT920.pdf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: