The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone going to Jamaica that can help a fellow Ham with TL-922A Amp  (Read 5156 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »

A Ham friend of mine in Jamaica is having a load of problems with a TL-922A, it started with power sagging during transmission and since he had the original tubes and was complaining about the power decrease which he says had been occurring over a 1 year period; myself plus others suggested replacing the Caps & Diodes and getting some new tubes. Another Ham sent him the Caps and Diodes and he replaced them and the Amp worked perfectly for about two days then he says the Amp started to make large bangs during transmission so he plugged it out and saved up his $$ to get new tubes.  I helped him to get the Tubes from RF parts and shipped them to him but now that he put them in a new problem started.  I told him he needed to break in the tubes for at least 12-24 hours before using them but he said after 1 hour the 15A fuse on the Amp blew!! This is without him even having it connected to the radio, he said it was putting out 3KV and 0 amps and all was well till the the fuse blew!  I really feel bad for him but I am not knowledgeable on the repair of tube Amps so I don't know what to tell him.  He can't even find a replacement fuse on the island so I am trying to source a few and send to him but at this point what he really needs is expert help because I am pretty sure a new fuse will also blow.   Shipping the Amp out of the country and back would almost be the value of the Amp so he really is in a tight bind.

I know this is a long shot but I told him I would try to see if any help could be found on the forum. By any chance is any Ham with Amp experience going to Jamaica on Vacation?  One thing I know for sure is that he knows every nook of the Island and I am sure my friend would take you on a fantastic Island tour and treat you great. Smiley

73's
Robert

PS he has access to all the tools that I think would be needed, it's just the technical end that is the problem.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:36:14 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:02:43 AM »

Does he have email?  I suggest he try to sign into this forum and give us his explanation of the problem directly.  Once we have the info on the problem(s) many of us on here will chime in and ask him to perform different simple tests to gain additional info on the problem(s).   I think if he can solder and knows what the different parts are in the amp we can not only figure out the problem but also tell him how to fix it.  Short of that, I know I'm not going there any time soon.  I'd be glad to have him come up on the forum and ak for help.  Many of us sit here waiting.  Lou
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:14 AM »

There are a number of hams in Jamaica.  Has this fellow sought help from them?
Loud bangs?  Sounds like electrolytics exploding or really bad arcs.   Maybe he installed
the new caps backwards or a equalizing resistor was miswired or was open causing a large
voltage across  parts of the capacitor bank. 
Guessing what a problem's cause is and replacing parts willy nilly is one of the worst ways
to attempt a repair.

Allen
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:40:01 PM »

Lou
He's pretty scared of the HV, he had a local Ham put in the Caps and Diodes but the guy knows nothing about repairing tube equipment and was not going to help him do anything if the unit was plugged in.  I will ask him about the problem and see if I can get more info but I know that the owner has no skills in electronics.

Allen
There are no Hams left on the Island that can work on Tube Amps I asked him that question several times and he told me the only person still around that has the experience is living in New York and only visits home once and awhile. He had actually visited in December and looked at the Amp during that period of time when the Amp had the new Caps and was banging and also told my friend that it just needed new tubes. I am told his next trip to Montego Bay will not be anytime soon.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Robert

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:58:51 PM »

Robert, we DON'T want anyone getting hurt or doing further damage.  It seems as though the amp will have to come stateside for a good check up.  I wonder if someone that might be going can bring it back with them?  Maybe someone he knows even if not a ham is coming into Kennedy International and could check it as baggage for the trip up to NYC.  I am only an hour and 15 min. from the airport I could fetch it there.  I don't know what else to say other than I would be glad to go get it and check it over etc. Lou
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

If you can get it stateside, I would be willing to get it closer to Lou since I pass the airport and that area every night while at work. So if someone you know is in that area, I could pick it up and make the trip easier for Lou by moving it farther north. Richy N2ZD
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 03:51:49 AM »

thanks Richy,  Robert, see if he can get the amp on a plane coming to NY with someone. Lou
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37:31 PM »

Richy and Lou thanks so much for your offer, I am sorry for the late reply but I was trying to get a hold of Collin to ask him if it is possible.  I will let you guys know as soon as I reach him what he says.  You two are truly stand up fellows and a great example of what Ham Radio is all about.

Robert

W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »

Thanks Robert, we try our best.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 05:42:09 PM »

Guys I reached him today and he said it was a no go, he checked it out and the weight of the Amp far exceeded the 50lb checked in luggage limit plus he could find no one going to New York.  He did a FedEx check and it was over $230 shipping just to Florida so that would be $460 both ways to the nearest point.  My suggestion to him was to just wait it out as he cannot afford any other option.  He agreed that was his only choice.  I am going down again soon and when I do I will bring a few parts and see if I get lucky by finding an obvious problem.

KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »

How about pulling the transformer? That may get the weight down.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 06:28:43 AM »

Yes, it would but it's quite a bit of work
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:52 AM »

How about pulling the transformer? That may get the weight down.

I don't think he feels confident enough to tackle a Job like that.  Also the HV has him scarred to death.  When I get there I will see what I can do, he was telling me that two other Ops in the Island also have 922s but theirs stopped working years ago.  I asked him if they could pool together and maybe fly someone down.  He said that the other Hams had given up on QRO and accepted the fact that they will never be QRO again.

It's sad to see how Ham Radio is dying out in some parts of the world.

Thanks again for all the help.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »

A Happy ending to this one.  He found a local Guy who is not a Ham but an old time Technician and CBer. The guy is into making custom 11M amps  Undecided but is very knowledgeable, so my friend took the Amp to him and within a few hours he found that 4 of the supposedly new Electrolytic Caps in the HV section were dead along with a resistor.  They replaced all eight of the Caps and the Resistor and the Amp is now working about 85% of what it was like before it started having problems.
He gets good power output about 1200 Watts but he also hears a weird kind of feedback on certain bands emanating from the Amp itself. I suspect it's some VHF parasitic signals so I recommended he send it back to the Guy.  For the most part he is very happy because at least on 20M he can use it without any problems.

A big Thanks to all that helped and offered the wonderful assistance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: