Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple Question  (Read 1911 times)
KA3VEZ

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »

Ok. All I am asking is Yes or No.

In asking if the frequency is in use befor calling CQ or testing:

Situation 1:
You found what seems to be a clear spot so you send QRL? (pause for 3 seconds) Then you get a C. Do you just leave and be done with it?  Yes or No.

Situation 2:
Same as above but you still heard nothing after the 3 second pause.  You then send ? <your call>.  If you still did not hear anything then your clear to start sending.  Yes or No.

Thanks for all your answers.

~Kirk, KA3VEZ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »

1 - What's a C mean?

2 - Yes  (But I always ask again! Just in case.) 

Are you a lawyer?
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16:32 PM »

Quote from:  link=topic=83258.msg598961#msg598961 date=1338090646
1 - What's a C mean?

2 - Yes  (But I always ask again! Just in case.) 

Are you a lawyer?

C is a shortcut Yes. Even if I can't hear a QSO I respect the response that the frequency is being used. Often you can't hear the other end of the QSO, of course.

Like you, I always ask again if I don't get an initial response.

Often the time's that I've sent C to someone who is asking if the frequency is clear, but apparently they don't hear me, because they just start CQíng right over the top of my QSO.

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »

I generally send:

QRL? (slowly - 15 WPM or so)

(pause)

QRL ?  DE W7ASA  K  (slowly - 15 WPM or so)

(If no response, then I give my first , short CQ at my operating speed, but keep it short incase I missed someone on freq.)

---

Lately I've been hearing Ops who do not understand that a "?" must be on the end of their QRL if it is a question.  It's actually amuzing to hear something like:

QRL          QRL            CQ CQ CQ DE ID1OT ...

...used not to drive off interlopers, but as a way to open their CQ call on the frequency.  

It sounds a lot like "I have arrived, alla you guys get off-a my freq!"    Cheesy  ha ha

"SEE" You on the radio -

de Ray ..._ ._
W7ASA
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:27:39 PM by W7ASA » Logged
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »

Aha I learn something new every day in this CW adventure! Must always send the "?" after my QRL. My technique is to listen for maybe 5 minutes to see if I hear anyone, then do "QRL de 2E0OZI" and leave it a minute, then repeat that....leave it a minute, if I hear nobody then call.

Mind you since I have only ever been answered in my CQs ONCE in the last 2 months..... Roll Eyes - leaving out the guy qho started sending QRL right on top of me last week then proceeded to send anyway.......

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 02:20:42 AM »

[...]
 Yes or No.

~Kirk, KA3VEZ

1. and 2. Yes, HOWEVER :when your license permits you to use that QRG

Wim
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:23:20 AM by PA0WV » Logged

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 02:27:41 AM »

In asking if the frequency is in use befor calling CQ or testing:

Situation 1:
You found what seems to be a clear spot so you send QRL? (pause for 3 seconds) Then you get a C. Do you just leave and be done with it?  Yes or No.

Situation 2:
Same as above but you still heard nothing after the 3 second pause.  You then send ? <your call>.  If you still did not hear anything then your clear to start sending.  Yes or No.

~Kirk, KA3VEZ

As much as it goes against the grain to keep it short - here goes:

Situation 1: Yes - leave and find someplace else - sometimes you get "C", other times "yes" or even "QRL" - the frequency is occupied.
Situation 2: Yes - BUT it is best to give two QRL? calls - remember the other station is probably listening to his contact, so give him time.

73 Kirk,

Rob

PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 05:25:48 AM »

Actually for some reason, I am in heaven when listening to a 20 m free frequency, with QRN outburst local QRM, some key clicks etc, during home brewing the next transceiver. Solder smoke makes me happy since I celebrated my 12-th birthday and is consumed since the soldering iron present I received as birthday present,  and that I wanted to have in order to solder junk parts together to a working one tube radio. Something known as 0-V-0 or so.  You could receive all the available medium wave BC stations at the same time, and with the tuning you could select which one was the strongest in your 2000 ohm headphone .

80 years later I understand why solder smoke made  and makes me so happy, burning resin is a (legal!) drug.
I am addicted to that drug and to the noise and splatter on a 20 m free frequency.

When the band opens that lucky feeling is annoyed by someone starting a trial with QRL? to a template QSO.

For that reason I increased my happiness by creating a C-generator. with an activation knob. When I hear someone disturbing my noise channel, I push the knob, and send hence C.

So I keep my channel free, thanks you all, who honour that operating practice,   enjoy the happiness of the soldersmoke together with the noise and QRN of the 20 m channel I reserved.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:51:13 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »

If you get a reply in a reasonable amount of time after asking, then you have received an answer.  Abide by that answer.
 - 'Doc
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:49:12 PM »

1.  Yes
2. I wait considerably longer than 3 seconds

I have heard a few ops send "dit dit" after my "C" reply to QSL?, although it's not standard or encouraged.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: