Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-897D Main Dial Help Please  (Read 5625 times)
73BRAHMA

Ignore
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »

**** UPDATE****

It's called "F'ing YANK".

I got it...

------------------

I have had my FT-897D for two months and apparently the optical encoder on the main dial is dead (REALLY chapping my a__) .  I am TRYING AND TRYING to get the main dial knob off and cannot.  I HAVE REMOVED THE SET SCREW, but the knob won't come off- it IS loose, but won't come off for me to remove the encoder, so I can further troubleshoot and/or replace.

Is the knob "keyed"?  Any info would be appreciated.

I need help please...

Thanks...

73-

73Brahma
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 01:22:03 PM by 73BRAHMA » Logged
W4OP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »

I don't have any direct knowledge about that rig, but I have seen that sometimes there is a burr on the shaft and rotating  just the knob a bit may get around the burr. Older knobs  commonly had 2 set screws and I recall loosening one and having the other already somewhat loose (yet initially overlooked by me) and having the same issue.
Perhaps working the knob a bit may eventually get it off.

GL,
Dale W4OP
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 09:53:22 PM »

Brahma: Never heard of a knob "keyed" on.  I'm quite sure OP has described your problem accurately.

This kind of difficulty is usually caused by heavy handed operators tightening down the set screw(s) excessively and deforming the shaft.  Getting it off is now going to be a bitch and you might just as well approach this as a time consuming problem. 

I'd suggest removing the set screw(s) completely and then dropping Kroil into the holes and letting it set for an hour.  Kroil is a penetrating oil and similar products are made by other companies.  Check your local ACE Hardware or automotive supply houses.

If you can slide a piece of sheet metal behind the knob then take this sheet metal and cut a V shaped notch in on end.  Slide this end down behind the knob and try to hold the shaft immobile with the V notch while simultaneously twisting and pulling the knob off the shaft.

Hopefully the combination of Kroil and resistance on the shaft will let you twist the knob off.

If you can't get a piece of sheet metal behind the the knob and can't put resistance on the shaft then about the only thing left is the Kroil and brute force and ignorance.  Good luck.

Just for a FYI..... if you feel the need to tighten down set screws for some reason or another, tighten the setscrews enough to mark the shaft.  Remove the knob and dimple the shaft with a drill bit and then replace the knob with the setscrew point down in the dimple you just made.  No need to over tighten.
73BRAHMA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 05:31:47 AM »

I got it- I had to really yank it.  The shaft must have been deformed or burred as you both described.

I got the encoder out and tried blasting it with compressed air to see if that would dislodge any dirt that might be preventing it and the main dial functions from working on my new FT-897D, to no avail.  I've read stories of Yaesu service quoting a minimum of 4 weeks turn-around time, and I don't want to take a chance missing Field Day.

I bought this radio new less than two months ago, put up an Alpha-Delta DX-LB Plus dipole, purchased an LDG AT-897 Plus tuner, and upgraded to General class last weekend at Dayton, and was finally able to make TWO contacts with it before the encoder failed.   I can operate it without the main dial via the mike, but I am really disappointed.  

I can obviously put a new encoder in myself now, but wonder if that will void the warranty. I have owned Yaesu products (2m & 440) for almost 20 years, but again, this really makes me upset.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:33:52 AM by 73BRAHMA » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 07:14:16 AM »

Usually you void the warranty. I do not understand why you didn't use the warranty anyway. You might try to get the encoder as a warranty item free of charge now.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »

Often encoder failure happens due to internal brusah contact not being able to conduct. 

Many of these encoders are not optical, they are electric switches arrayed in a rotary layout. 

Try putting a wee amount of DEOXIT on a toothpick or other pointed instrument, and introducint the good goo at the shaft of the encoder a couple or three times, then let the encoder sit with shaft upright and have patience, give time for the good goo to work its way down into the encoder.  Time might equal overnight here. 

Then rotate the encoder shaft numerous times to invoke mechanical wiping action inside, hook it back up and see if that restored proper operation. 

Have been successful with this method maybe 50% of the time, possibly more, on the test bench with multiple consumer appliances, ham rigs, video receivers, etc. 

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »

73BRAHMA:  If the rig is under warranty, send it back and take the 4-week wait time hit.  While you are probably correct in your diagnosis, what if you're wrong? 

You replace the encoder and you also have a bullet hole in the foot!  Then if something else goes wrong.......
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »

If one is careful and replaces with good quality technique, doesn't use the wrong size screwdriver and thus mark up screws, etc. the odds are that the warranty facility would never know you were ever in there anyway. 

YMMV,

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:39:38 PM »

No risk, no fun!  Grin
KD4EBL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 08:35:09 AM »

73BRAHMA, I had a 897D repaired a couple of months ago and the turnaround was less than 2 weeks, inculding the shipping time. Call the repair number, let them know that the rig is coming with an explainantion of the defect and possible parts needed. I was very happy with the results I got!
N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »

73BRAHMA, I had a 897D repaired a couple of months ago and the turnaround was less than 2 weeks, inculding the shipping time. Call the repair number, let them know that the rig is coming with an explainantion of the defect and possible parts needed. I was very happy with the results I got!

Wish I was as lucky, I sent my FT897 ( non-D 10 years old bought used) in on 5/22 for a simple re-alignment and check over. They received it on 5/30 and I am still waiting on a quote to authorize the work. I called to check a couple of days ago and was told that the Tech that does the 897 repairs has about a 3 week backlog. If the actually call me next week for authorization, I will be looking at 5-6 weeks total time radio was gone. Thankfully mine was a back-up radio.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »

This does not provide a good impression of the 897. Seems they got a lot of repair work and should hire a second guy.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

If one is careful and replaces with good quality technique, doesn't use the wrong size screwdriver and thus mark up screws, etc. the odds are that the warranty facility would never know you were ever in there anyway. 

YMMV,

Thank you for the laugh of the day!  Apparently Murphy doesn't live with you OM.  I'll send him over.   Grin
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 11:59:49 AM »

This does not provide a good impression of the 897. Seems they got a lot of repair work and should hire a second guy.

The 897 is a good radio.  I think every model from every manufacturer has some order of pitfall or nuance that are no big  deal to some, and complete show-stoppers for others.

N3IG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 04:34:13 AM »

I sent mine in because the guy I bought it from said he improved the settings so I wanted it re-aligned to factory specs. The 897 is billed as a portable radio and this weekend is Field day so there are probably more people than usual sending them in this past month in hopes of getting little problems fixed before this weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: