Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB-200 Parasitic Suppressor  (Read 2643 times)
K8AXW

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:14:10 AM »

The question, "How do I make new parasitic suppressors for my SB-200 amplifier" has been posted here on the eHam.com Amplifier forum several times.  It usually leads to a lengthy discussion and I've often felt the answers were still somewhat obscure to many.

So I dug out my old SB-200 suppressors and took a photo of them and posted them on Photobucket.com.  Follow this link and the answer will be answered once and for all.

http://s1171.photobucket.com/albums/r553/KarlAibling/Ham%20Radio/?action=view&current=ParasiticSuppressorSB-200.jpg

K8AXW
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

You can still get a 47 ohm 2 watt resistors for about $6.00(each) shipped to your door and it will still be an old carbon resistor.  The question should be asked...How do I build a new BETTER suppressor using today's available resistors.  The answer would be to get hold of 4 100 ohm 2 watt OX or OY type resistors (2 for each suppressor) parallel them and put them across a similar inductor made of #14 wire with same turns and diameter as the originals.  Leave the resistors outside the coil.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

QJ:  Exactly!  But I was just answering the usual question about the number of turns on the coil. 
N2CJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:44:20 AM »

Surplus Sales of Nebraska (COL) 547-3654-002 - 11.75 ea.

They work fine in my SB-200.

IMHO the subject has pretty much been beaten to death.
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:55:41 AM »

QJ:  Exactly!  But I was just answering the usual question about the number of turns on the coil. 
EXACTY!  I assume many looked at the photo at your link.  The number of turns is obvious and the diameter of the coils is obvious too.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 10:03:01 AM »

CJ:  The subject has been beaten pretty bad, no question.  However, whenever this question was brought up it started a flurry of suggestions and opinions that seemed to never end with all questions completely answered.

While it has been unequivocally established the new resistors should be 47-50 ohms  ceramic composition, OX or OY type depending on power handling capability.  (OY= 2W  OX=1W)

I plan to use two 100ohm OY Ohmite Ceramic Composition resistors in parallel as QJ suggested.  (The ones I bought are Mouser Electronics part number 588-OY-100E)

What has never been firmly established is the number of turns use for the coils.  This is the total purpose of the photo I posted on Photobucket.  From now on if anyone asks the question "How do I make new SB-200 parasitic suppressors," they're not researching the question first!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: