Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLUG-IN Appliance Hams  (Read 15158 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 07:14:37 AM »

EXACTLY.... and the only choices are two different styles of the same NEMA
6-20P connector. It is not like they are trying to meet every possible scenerio,
its about convenience and catering to the deep pocket crowd.  But, you'd expect
some accomodation after spending that much $$$ for a product. Its like buying a
new car and having the dealer charge for washing it before delivering it.

Pete
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 09:36:13 AM »

It's called "plug and pay". If you want the plug, you pay.  Grin
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 09:59:45 AM »

Uhhhh... excuse me.... but it seems we have lost the point here.  Ham radio is a technical hobby.  Assuming that those with "deep pockets" can afford an $8,000 dollar amplifier and another $10,500 for a top of the line transceiver and can't or won't take the time to put a plug on the end of the wire..... What's left?  Talking, right?  It's plug 'n play to talk.

So what the hell is the difference between this and CB?  Something isn't right here.
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »

It's for the ham who can't be bothered to do easy things himself like rotate tires, change oil, clean furnace's filters, mend a leaky faucet, patch a hole in drywall, or any of a number of other really easy things that many people today prefer to pay someone to do.

If you've got the money, and want to focus on "station building" instead of "assembly technician" work, there's nothing wrong with paying to have a power plug installed.  Not all of us are that well-heeled.

- k
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 01:05:47 PM »

Hubbell or equivalent name-brand 6-20P plugs are going to run $10-$25 each (depending on style etc.) from your local Home Depot or electrical distributor.

Someone running a specialty website to sell this stuff has to mark it up by factor of 2x to 4x to even begin to earn a living.

What's the problem?
AG8K

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »

To most of the people who will buy $7,000 amplifiers for a  HOBBY  , $45 is pocket change......  it is not about not being unable to wire up the plug. It is about
convenience.  The same reason most people with a Lexus or Mercedes don't spend Saturday mornings jacking up their car to change the oil and rotate the tires....
they drop by the dealer and spend $125 for the oil change and tire rotation... it is about their TIME.

73,  K0ZN

From my experience with my 2001 E class Mercedes I would say you have never owned a Mercedes.  MB has A and B service alternating every 10,000 miles.  Service A includes an oil change and more but I have never made it out of the dealership for $125!.  However in approximately 12 years of ownership I have never had to take it back in except ONE time for something they should have repaired the first time.  It drives like a new car but only has 127,000 miles on it.  Its the first car that I like so much that I still want to keep it.

Now my son's Chevy truck is a different story.  A local garage tuned it up, switched the spark plug wire to wrong cylinders and told him that they could not fix it and that it needed a valve job.  The Chevy dealer would work on the truck and fail to even touch some of the work that they said they did.  Sometimes you do get what you pay for! 

AG8K
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »

What i$ the charge to plug the amp into the wall receptacle?

klc
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 03:49:38 PM »

What i$ the charge to plug the amp into the wall receptacle?

klc

I handle that on a case-by-case basis, but you can ask for an estimate...

KX5JT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »

Don, that's so funny!! All these guys are SO missing the point.  Welcome to 21st Century Amateur Radio.... I wonder how many even know ohm's law anymore.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »

'ome's law? Isn't that something to do with bad mortgages?
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 03:50:56 AM »

A decade or so ago I was a field service engineer for Agfa and one of the things I did was to install their Rapidline series of film processors. These were very expensive items, probably about the cost of a linear amplifier, and they didn't come with a power cord. Company policy was that the on-site electrician or maintenance engineer had to supply and install the power cord and connect it to the supply under the supervision of the field service engineer.

This policy however generated a considerable amount of ill will, especially when a customer didn't have on site maintenance staff. Most field service engineers therefore just went around the corner to the local hardware store, purchased three yards of three-core 30A cable, and then wired things in to keep the customer happy.

Tanakasan
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »

It's for the ham who can't be bothered to do easy things himself like rotate tires, change oil, clean furnace's filters, mend a leaky faucet, patch a hole in drywall, or any of a number of other really easy things that many people today prefer to pay someone to do.

If you've got the money, and want to focus on "station building" instead of "assembly technician" work, there's nothing wrong with paying to have a power plug installed.  Not all of us are that well-heeled.

- k

I do not change the oil on my vehicles. Why should I bother buying the oil & filter, jacking the car up. Crawl underneath, dump the oil (Where do get rid of that? Down the storm drain?) etc etc when I can take it to a garage and have it changed for $25. Hell the filter and oil would cost me almost as much.

I do not rotate my vehicles tires either, I get that done for free (You need some connections  Grin)
N4UP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 09:21:19 AM »

Yes, well, I just bought a new amplifier ( getting back on the air after being away for many years ) and it doesn't have a plug.  They say it is because "globally" there are so many different types, so I understand that. 

MY problem is that I used to be hands-on kind-of-guy, building my own equipment, diagnosing and fixing things myself, etc., but now ( due to age and a recent ( 2005 ) massive head injury, I am no longer able to do things that I used to be able to do.  My manual and mental dexterity just isn't what it used to be.  I recently tried soldering a stereo plug so I could connect my keyer, and I must say that holding a soldering gun steady was very hard for me to do.  So I for one really do appreciate things that plug-and-play.

73, peter N4UP
AG8K

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »

Yes, well, I just bought a new amplifier ( getting back on the air after being away for many years ) and it doesn't have a plug.  They say it is because "globally" there are so many different types, so I understand that. 

MY problem is that I used to be hands-on kind-of-guy, building my own equipment, diagnosing and fixing things myself, etc., but now ( due to age and a recent ( 2005 ) massive head injury, I am no longer able to do things that I used to be able to do.  My manual and mental dexterity just isn't what it used to be.  I recently tried soldering a stereo plug so I could connect my keyer, and I must say that holding a soldering gun steady was very hard for me to do.  So I for one really do appreciate things that plug-and-play.

I understand perfectly.  Since I have been a ham about sixty years, I remember when an OT could actually see resistors, and condensers without needing special optical equipment.  As a doctor told me, "Your mind remembers what you used to do and you want to still do it, but your body will not let you".   Grin 

Tom
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »

Give the "young whipper-snappers" a few years - they'll understand  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: