Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLUG-IN Appliance Hams  (Read 15154 times)
K4KYV

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:11:10 AM »

I thought I had seen everything, but this has to take the cake.

http://www.rfconcepts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7441/.f

I see that the only plugs they offer are 250V, 20A NEMA 6-20P, black . The sole choice is whether the plug is straight or right-angle. For a lot less than $45, the manufacturer could simply pack both plugs in the box with the amplifier, and let the customer decide which one to put on.

If, for whatever reason, a licensed radio amateur is incapable of attaching an a.c. plug to a power cord, how could he be expected to properly connect his antenna coax to the output receptacle of the amplifier, connect the radio to the input receptacle, and wire up the control circuitry, without blowing something up?

What if the owner decides a few days later that he really needs the other type of plug? Would he send the amplifier back to the factory to have it replaced, and if so, would they charge another $45, or would they offer a discount for the exchange?

For $7000, it seems awfully cheap of a reputable company to ship an amplifier minus the power cord plug.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »

Pogo said it best.  "We have met the enemy and they is us."

Allen KA5N
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »

You think $45 is bad for a plug?  Check this 22uF, 35v tantalum capacitor for $5!   Plus shipping.
http://www.rfconcepts.com/s.nl/it.A/id.610/.f?sc=9&category=15765
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »

I understand these aren't just any plugs but that they are are equipped with many fail-safe features providing for a bulletproof installation and many years of trouble-free operation.
K2TGI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »

And just think they do this without a mask or gun . . .
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »

Quote from: k4kyv
For $7000, it seems awfully cheap of a reputable company to ship an amplifier minus the power cord plug.
For global sales, with no global standard for AC power (cycles, voltage or connectors),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity
this is the net result for numerous manufacturers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Europe has been working on standardizing their AC power grid, since the reunification of Germany (end of Berlin Wall).  Their goal has been 230 VAC at 50 Hz as minimum, with 240 VAC in some countries.

Reading the history, you end up with Westinghouse, Tesla, Edison, and AEG in Germany -- Deutsche Edison Gesellschaft (DEG).  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:50:57 PM by W9GB » Logged
W1QJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »

WOW, that is 2X what I charge.  Have to raise my prices Wink
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 08:31:30 AM »

KYV:  I've read many, many posts here on eHam from people who feel slighted or insulted by the badmouthing of others about the present ham license testing methods, qualifications, etc. 

THIS is why so many hams feel the way they do.  RF Concepts has realized there is a market to service idiot "hams."  Don't blame or ridicule RF Concepts.  They understand what is going on and are capitalizing on it.  This is business!

I'd venture to predict that one day the equipment manufacturers will also include programming for their transceivers for a nominal fee of $500.00, or perhaps come to the house and hook everything up like your DISH Network TV system installer.

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:08 AM »

And some folks have more money than brains. Glad I was born needing to work to earn
a buck. It has saved a lot over the years.

Pete
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32:55 AM »

UK supply is 230 +10% / –6%, that is, within the range 253 Volts to 216.2 Volts. Used to be 240 +/-6%. But now Europe is 'harmonised' between those levels. They haven't harmonised the plugs though - there differences between Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria etc. Pin spacing is the same but the diameters vary and the plug shapes vary too. The UK and Eire are different, of course.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 10:09:38 AM »

Sounds like a trick from the Home Appliance market. Ranges and Cloths dryers don't come with power cords either. One must buy the "pigtail" separately.

KF7CG
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »

Homes have different outlets installed in them, the mfrs respond by providing a pigtail method that tries to cover all situations and its a "trick" by the mfrs? 

Everything's a conspiracy these days. 

The people will blame anyone and anything but themselves. 

Me, I'm starting a poll on this. 

The winner predicts the date of the first post on eHam blaming the amplifier company for selling them the wrong type of installed plug...

AG8K

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

If and when I decided to spend $8000 plus shipping on a HF amplifier, I will not mind spending an additional $45 for an AC plug. A free plug would be better. 

Tom
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 05:20:24 PM »

Quote from: kf7cg
Ranges and Cloths dryers don't come with power cords either. One must buy the "pigtail" separately.
1996 National Electrical Code (NEC) Section 250-60 change.

K0ZN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »

To most of the people who will buy $7,000 amplifiers for a  HOBBY  , $45 is pocket change......  it is not about not being unable to wire up the plug. It is about
convenience.  The same reason most people with a Lexus or Mercedes don't spend Saturday mornings jacking up their car to change the oil and rotate the tires....
they drop by the dealer and spend $125 for the oil change and tire rotation... it is about their TIME.

73,  K0ZN
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: