Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW on FM?  (Read 417 times)
KB0PNB

Ignore
« on: March 05, 2007, 04:38:42 PM »

Some time back I recall there being a gadget that connected to an HT or the mic input of an FM rig that allowed one to send CW on FM, presumably for code practice. Radio Shack made one. However, I am unable to search for one on eBay, as I don't know what to call it. Or perhaps plans or a kit is available for homebrewing. Can anyone help? Thanks... Mike
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »

CW send via FM is called "MCW" for Modulated CW. That term might help you locate something on a search.

Bascially you can set a code practice oscillator in front of the microphone to produce MCW as long as the background noise in the room is low.
KB0PNB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »

Thanks for the info... I'll give the MCW search a try.
 73... Mike
KB3RMX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 04:50:07 AM »

The yaesu ft-817, ft-857 and ft-897 supports cw break-in on all modes including FM. Just go to the menu and pick the ALL MODES in the cw menu.- Mike
KE5GHC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:10:17 AM »

Here is one from MFJ

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-552

73 Dave
KB0PNB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:33:57 PM »

Ahh... so it is a currently marketed item. It never occurred to me to look there... thanks!
73.. Mike
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 05:57:20 PM »

"CW" by keying a tone oscillator into the microphone is NOT MCW.  It is F3.  Voice, and it can only be done where voice is permitted.  You can do it on a voice simplex channel, or off channel, but you cannot do it in the CW or data portions of the bands.  It is voice mode.

MCW requires simultaneously keying the carrier on/off (in AM mode) with the tone, OR shifting the carrier in sequence with the keyed tone, on FM.  

A number of nets operate for code practice in most areas.  They use F3, which is the keying of an audio oscillator into the microphone or audio chain.  The carrier remains constant.  

You can, of course, simply turn the carrier off and on and that constitutes CW.  However, if there is any modulation at all, it then becomes "voice." Unless the carrier is keyed off and on with the tone.  

If you key an FM transmitter's carrier off and on, with no modulation, it isn't FM!   It is F0, which is pure carrier, keyed off and on.

Anyway, what you are talkng about is a voice mode.  Use it in the voice bands where FM modulation is permitted.

Ed
KT8K

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:24:29 AM »

Back around 1980 we held code practice nets on the local repeater (and sometimes simplex), using the sidetone on our keyers and manually keying our mics on FM.  Afterward a couple of buddies and I would chat on a 2m simplex frequency, inserting beeps with our keyers to make it sound like we were on a repeater, just for fun.  

We had a good laugh when somebody asked us where the repeater we were using was and we were able to say it was the "Maybee Repeater" (the town of Maybee, MI is 15 or 20 miles away).  The funniest thing was when they took us seriously.  (Maybee, MI does not have a repeater, to my knowledge, and has only a few hundred residents -- plus, shouldn't that ham have KNOWN they were on a simplex frequency???)

The club I belong to (see www.w8pgw.org) has run CW practice nets on 2m FM again in just the last couple of years.  CW is CW, after all, and there's nothing wrong with the club designating a CW net on our FM repeater(s).  I recommend the practice where there are enough interested hams (and hams-to-be) to make it worth while.  Hope to catch you on the air soon using CW!
73 de kt8k - Tim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: