Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A good band for CW qsls  (Read 524 times)
N4AEQ

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2007, 06:38:24 AM »

I dont do alot of QSLs but with the changes in
code status I would like to make some CW - QSLs, Is
there a CW onlu band, 30m seems to be cw & data, not phone so im thinking this would be a good one to have.
Whats usually the best time/freq for this band? As
a general i have no problem with 5-10 wpm but dont want to get into a speed contest.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:37:07 AM »

I'm assuming you mean QSO's, not QSL's.  The band shouldn't matter much.  I don't think I've ever run across another ham that wouldn't slow down if asked politely to do so.  Also, you can help in this by NOT sending faster than you can copy.  If I hear someone sending a 20wpm, I expect he can copy the same and respond at the same speed.

As for 30m, look there about sundown and later.

73, Doug
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:10:24 AM »

30m is a great band for CW contacts, mostly 10.101 to 10.125 MHz.  The band often closes a bit after dark at this point in the sunspot cycle, but not always.  I've found it still open at 10:00 PM local, but that's the exception.

40m is another great CW band, and then 80m which is open later than 30 or 40 and often has good propagation all night long.

20m during daylight hours has lots of CW activity.

WB2WIK/6
N4AEQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 01:24:11 PM »

Thanks, i will try 30 during the day then.  I guess one question i was asking was, i wanted some QSL cards
from a non phone band. Ive got lots of cards from other bands but im thinking 30 being a cw/data only band would be worth collecting.
WR9H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 01:26:28 PM »

Try listening at 7.058 MHz. This is the FISTS club calling frequency and many CW operators ragchew there.

WR9H
Herb
N6VL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 10:39:28 AM »

The old Novice portion of 40 meters is nice, at least what is left of it. Look around between 7110 and 7120 kHz. You will have to dodge the foreign broadcasters. There is a strong one at 7120 kHz. I have had one good QSO in this region. Most all of the activity there is on the slow end, plenty slow for me.

I am in the 12 to 15 wpm range right now. I hang out between 7050 to 7060 kHz lately. I have not heard much on 30 meters. I have heard there is more activity on 30 if you just call CQ. I don't do much 20 meters as 40 is open 24/7. I am more interested in a good solid QSOs than the distance 20 will give.

80 meters is good in the winter months, but I find the speeds there are little higher than 40. 80 took a real beating spectrum wise from the FCC with only 100 kHz reamaining (with an Extra license) including sharing with the data modes.

I am an intermediate level CW op and still a bit jittery. I have only been active since last September or October and still working on my skills. It is a fun mode and I like the pace of 40 meters.

Steve N6VL
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 07:29:55 PM »

Read what the guy is saying:  "I guess one question i was asking was, i wanted some QSL cards from a non phone band"  As in a band where phone is NOT allowed anywhere on the band - so 30 meters is his band....

Ken"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: