Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Hayes insurance vs. former Marsh Infinity  (Read 4666 times)
N9EJS

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:39:13 PM »

I stayed with Marsh Infinity radio equipment insurance when ARRL changed to Hayes.  I recently received a notice from Marsh they are changing their coverage in several respects.  I wonder what experience hams have had with Hayes, so I can see if need to switch to them.  Thanks and 73 - George, N9EJS
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:05:31 AM »

I have not had to file a claim, but their sign-up process is easy and they have a very good support web site where you can add/change/delete coverage.  I did not have the old insurance, so I have nothing to compare against in that respect. 
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:26:18 AM »

>> ... I wonder what experience hams have had with Hayes ...

Excellent experience. Communicative, responsive ... and the ARRl is not in the business of contracting with folks to create headaches ... (grin)

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »

Zero experience here.

However when I shopped around, my homeowner's insurance (State Farm) covered all ham gear and antennas for about the same cost, so I just added a rider with them, since I know them and they've worked with me twice before on claims that were settled in less than 24 hours.

They actually advised me not to add a rider for the ham gear and just list it, along with photographs, on my regular policy and they'd cover it.  Antennas were a different matter since there can be liability involved, and they wanted more information, photos and documents.

But it was very cheap.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:34:07 PM »

>> ... my homeowner's insurance (State Farm) covered all ham gear and antennas for about the same cost ...

Is any of your mobile equipment covered?

I would be interested in some more details ... I, too, have been with State Farm for three decades for homeowner, vehicle, and excess liability insurance. Last time I checked (three years ago), the older (and higher!) rates supplied by the ARRL were less expensive then what State Farm could do for me.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 10:12:15 AM »

>> ... my homeowner's insurance (State Farm) covered all ham gear and antennas for about the same cost ...

Is any of your mobile equipment covered?

I would be interested in some more details ... I, too, have been with State Farm for three decades for homeowner, vehicle, and excess liability insurance. Last time I checked (three years ago), the older (and higher!) rates supplied by the ARRL were less expensive then what State Farm could do for me.

Clint K6LCS

Mobile equipment could be covered but I don't leave any there so I don't care much.  If I ever operate mobile, the rig goes in the van for that and when I'm finished it comes back out. Tongue
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »

OK. I doubt that we are talking "apples" versus "apples" scenarios then.

Best advice anyone can give: ASK your current insurance provider for information. And have a quotation and specific coverages from Hayes with you to compare.

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
N8YB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 01:25:49 PM »

Anennas were a different matter since there can be liability involved, and they wanted more information, photos and documents.

Did the agent or company go into any detail on the liability issues for antennas?  Unless you totally disregarded the manufactures guidelines for antenna installation and safety I can’t imagine an instance where you could be held liable.

Jerry N8YB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: