Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF/UHF Vertical above HF Beam  (Read 1233 times)
WA2OLZ

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »

I plan to roof mount a Force 12 HF beam and just had an idea that bears asking your opinion.

I have a Diamond X-50A dual-band VHF/UHF vertical on the way. In attempt to minimize the use of rooftop real estate I am considering mounting the vertical on the mast above the beam, hopefully with minimal spacing. I'm not very concerned about impacting VHF/UHF performance but would like to not mess up HF operations.

On to the question: How far above the beam does the vertical need to be?

Thanks - yet again!

73/
Jack
WA2OLZ
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »

Because the beam is horizontal and the VHF/UHF antenna and the coax connected to it are
vertical, there will be very little interaction.  You can mount them as close as your hardware
permits.
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:41:14 PM »

You shouldn't have any problem. I have always had my antennas set up this way in order to make the most of the limited real-estate one tower offers. I have had many different combinations of antennas set up like this and never a problem in all of 15 years.
KL3HY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »

What about the three radials on the X-50?  Mounted very close to the HF beam, they could be just inches away and they're fairly horizontal--wouldn't that be an issue?
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:00 AM »

How long are the radials in wavelengths on the highest HF band?

If they are well below 1/4 wavelength then there will be little interaction.  Unless, of course,
one of them actually touches the elements on the HF antenna.
WB6MMV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »

Hi Jack:

I have my X-50 vertical two feet about my 3 ele steppir yagi.  Been that way for 10 years and both antennas work just fine.  As noted, you don't need to worry about spacing being critical.  Do what works mechanically for you and it should be just fine.

Ken WB6MMV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: