Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-570D -- Insect behind display panel: how to remove it?  (Read 7085 times)
HS0ZGR

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:27:47 PM »

I can't imagine how it ever got in, but there is a small (dead) insect at center-bottom behind the clear plastic display panel.

I have removed the display assembly so as to change the lithium battery, but then I'm stuck. No place to insert an air can nozzle. I tried shaking the unit, but the object doesn't move.

Can anyone talk me through removing the outside display panel cover to gain access to the area just behind the front clear plastic panel?

EDIT: SOLVED -- http://www.md0mdi.com/pages/ham_radio/radios/kenwood/kenwood_ts-570d_display_mod.html
Hope it helps someone else...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:03:35 AM by HS0ZGR » Logged
KB7XU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 06:28:25 AM »

I had a similar issue with a microwave oven.  I could see an insect crawling across the inside of the display which would cause the numbers to be blocked.  I used a vacuum cleaner over the latch holes and literally debugged the oven.  Your insect found a hole somehow, so I'd try a vacuum over every little possible opening near the display on your radio.  Good luck, ~Max
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 08:47:49 AM »

Using a vacuum around electronic equipment is a no-no!  Or at the very least, done with care and planning. 

The air, on occasion, can generate high static electricity.  (Info source came from instructions on how to clean a computer motherboard)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 05:37:39 AM »

Using a vacuum around electronic equipment is a no-no!  Or at the very least, done with care and planning. 

The air, on occasion, can generate high static electricity.  (Info source came from instructions on how to clean a computer motherboard)

He is so absolutely right. SMD components are a static nightmare. The smallest discharge of static will cook SMD components. You should get an anti-static mat and wrist strap, connect it to AC ground, and take the front panel apart. A can of air will help.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »

Where does it say SMD components are more sensitive to ESD?  Certainly not resistors, caps, or inductors.  So why would the chip format of say a MOSFET change vulnerability?

BTW, at one command center a number of years ago, every Saturday morning we used to shut down our dozens of HP-9000 workstations and the 'untrained' operators would vacuum out the dust.  Never had a failure.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »

QAA:  Wanna know how many times I've heard, "I been doin that fer years and ain't nuthin ever happened!"

There ARE special designed vacuums for this kind of work.  Was you using one of them or just an old Electrolux?
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:44:16 AM »

couldn't get used to keying with a BUG, eh?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »

......now I'm thinking about the 50's move classic " The Fly " with Michael Landon saying Help Me.... Help Me.....

Of course, this is totally different.

Never change a password on a Friday                
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »

Roll Eyes
N3HAM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:45 PM »

Sorry, it wasn't Michael Landon, it was David Hedison of 'Voyage to the bottom of the sea' fame. Glad to help you...help you.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:22 PM »

Yes, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

That coffee cup on the chart table never moved an inch,
even when the SS Seaview was being thrown about by
the seaweed monster that was dispatched by sending
a nuclear charge through the hull.

The movie with Barbara Eden was good.

73 James
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »

couldn't get used to keying with a BUG, eh?

Even when it's built in!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WH6DZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 02:06:29 PM »

HS0ZGR-I'm wanting to replace the plastic display screen due to bubbles on the screen.  The link you provided no longer works- can you re-post or otherwise assist me in screen removal?  Thanks, Aloha.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:27:26 AM »

Just sing "Shoo Fly Don't bother Me"
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:30 PM »

I can't imagine how it ever got in, but there is a small (dead)
insect at center-bottom behind the clear plastic display panel.
Aw man....and you didn't take a photo of it for us?  Roll Eyes
Glad you got it out ok!
73, Ken  AD6KA
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: