Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mic Cable  (Read 2525 times)
KA2Z

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:34:34 PM »

Howdy.... I need to make a mic cable.
            I want to buy a HEIL 781 mic to use with my TenTec Omni VII.
            I have the pin out diagram for the Omni eight pin male receptacle, but not sure how to connect the xlr plug for the 781.
           I would also like to have an adapter to use the same mic with my four pin Omni V.
        I emailed HEIL, but no response to date.

Thanks for any help!

Rosario / KA2Z
KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »

I want to add one more thing. You would think when you buy a mic you could just tell them what your going to use it with and they could make you the appropriate cable. How simple is that to improve sales and customer satisfaction?!

Rosario / KA2Z

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 05:22:56 PM »

http://heilsound.com/amateur/adapters/index.php

This page indicates that you need the CC-1-Y cable for the Omni7.

The XLR connector:
  Pin-1 = shield
  Pin-2 = audio
  Pin-3 = audio return

For an unbalanced connection:
At the Omni7 end Pin-1, Pin-3, and the XLR ground tab should connect to the shield. Pin-2 goes to the audio. Then you also need to add a PTT switch as required.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:43:10 PM by AA4PB » Logged
KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 05:55:50 PM »

Thanks Bob....
                       I hope its that simple.
                       Do you know how I could adapt the same cable to use with the four pin connector on my Omni V?
                       Or should I buy a separate cable for the Omni V?

Rosario / KA2Z

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »

You could make an adapter cable to convert the Omni7 connector to the Omni V. The same signals will be present. You just have to have the available connectors. It's probably easier to make a separate adapter cable for the microphone. It's a standard XLR connector available from Radio Shack or any audio supply store and some standard 2-conductor shielded audio cable. The XLR connectors are big and easy to work with. The more difficult problem may be making the terminations on the 4-pin Omni plug. Unless you are working strickly VOX you'll have to add connections for a PTT switch as well (a switch between ground and the PTT pin). Heil has an extra pig tail hanging out the Omni connector with a phone jack on it to connect the PTT switch.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:54:27 PM »

Here is the adapter for the 8 pin to 4 pin, http://www.tentec.com/products/4%252dPin-Male-to-8%252dPin-Female-TEN%252dTEC-Adaptor.html
And Heil sales the 8 pin cable already made: CC-1 XLR Y: 3 pin XLR to 8 pin Heil Stealth connector cable .. It listed as a Yaesu plug but if you read through the website it explains the use the same pin out...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:06:12 PM by N3JBH » Logged
KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:47:19 AM »

Hi Jeff-- Thanks for the adapter link. Looks like just what I need.
            I was all set to order the HEIL PR781 mic and cable this morning when I finally got a response from Jerry Lynch at HEIL saying they dont make a 3 pin XLR cable to go to Omni VII!?
             Now Im confused again. I emailed him back questioning him about the cc-1-XLR Y.

HEIL sure does not make it easy to buy their products. Poor customer service too. I emailed HEIL three days ago and they just got back to me this morning. They have no phone number to call either.

Rosario / KA2Z
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »

Heil Sound Ltd.
5800 N. Illinois St.
Fairview Heights, IL 62208
U.S.A.
618-257-3000

Bottom of the page.  I don't know about email support, but Heil has the best and friendliest support of any company around.  If you call Bob or Donna usually answer.  Try getting the president of most large ham manufacturers!

KA2Z

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »

Thanks a lot for the contact info. Ill call them tomorrow!

Rosario / KA2Z

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: