Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old "new" shack ?  (Read 2485 times)
N9BXI

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »

Hello guys,
I have been a ham for 30 years but got out of it for the last 12 or so.
I have been looking at hf rigs but the new ones just don't appeal to me.
I'm interested in 440,s and ic735,s. but I just am not sure what I would be getting into with rigs that old. I will be dependent on getting one repaired by others so that's a concern to me also I don't really want a rig that there will be no repair parts for.
Any suggestions on these or the direction I want to go. 
Thanks
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »

Many, Including me consider the old Icom IC735 one of the best "starter" quality HF rigs available.
Now selling in the 250 to 350 dollar range.
You also might look at the newer Icom IC 718 in the 500 dollar range,    And the best "Do it all" radio, The Kenwood TS 2000 in the 900-1100 dollar range good used, Less than 1500 brand new.

There are lots of smaller "DC to daylight" radios available, Icom 706 series, etc etc. BUT those are about all menu driven, Pretty difficult for us old timers to navigate and use. Not nearly enough knobs and buttons on them....
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:24:47 PM »

I used to own a 440s a long time ago and I liked the radio alot when I had it. I've heard of some of these radios having issues with the Phased Lock Loop circuitry in their older age, but then again I have a rescued TS-520S that is even older than a TS-440s that works just fine. For the $250-$300 price you'll pay for a good one, it's a good radio. As other posters said, if you're willing to spend a little more you can get a rig that is 20 years newer for a few hundred more - the IC-718.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: