Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: inexpensive receiver with manual tuning?  (Read 11259 times)
N3NEI

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2012, 02:15:45 PM »

I've been inactive as a ham for years now, but I'm looking to get back to my first love--SWLing. Some years ago, I had a Grundig YB-400, which served my listening needs well (mainly broadcast listening, occasional ham/utility). However, I did not like the fact that it lacked a manual tuning knob and that it had chuffing/muting while using the tuning buttons--that didn't make for a smooth listening experience while scanning the bands.

Can anyone recommend a decent, inexpensive receiver (under $200 or so) that allows for pleasant tuning across the bands, preferably with an actual tuning knob?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:03:38 PM by N3NEI » Logged
N8FOX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:09:31 PM »

For my money i would say the Realistic DX-350. I like it so much i bought another. Good audio and yes the tuning knob. See reviews here on eham. Bill N8fox
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:07 PM »

I know it has some years on it, but what about something like a Yaesu FRG-7?

It has a year's quota of knobs :-p
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 04:55:04 AM »

If you're interested in something new, I recently bought one of these from Universal Radio.
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwave-radios/ccradio-sw.aspx
It is not an analog receiver, so it will chuff. Also it will not receive SSB (no BFO).
It looks innocuous but on the whole performance is impressive. I'd love to see a schematic. Was initially available to US customers in 2007 as the Redsun RP2000.

If analog tuning (albeit with a digital frequency display) is a must have, there is the Grundig GS350DL. According to the 2009 Passport to World Band Radio (final issue), the GS350DL exhibits some drift. It is an attractive receiver nonetheless.

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:11:45 AM »

I have and recommend a Kenwood R-1000 as a decent low cost receiver.  It covers 0.5 - 30 MHz in 30 distinct bands, has digital readout, is very stable, and receives SSB, CW, and AM very well.  It definitely has a big manual tuning knob, which I also like.

A good used one can be had for around $200.

Dick  AD4U
EI4GMB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »

The Tecsun PL-660 may suit your needs. It is an inexpensive receiver with manual tuning and offers good value for money.

Fred EI4GMB

'You can never plan the future by the past'

'Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it.'

Edmund Burke (1729-1797)
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »

I have to second the suggestion of the Kenwood R-1000. I was lucky enough to pick up one at an estate auction for $100. While these radios don't have convenient keypad entry, they are great receivers.

-- Tom
GABRESEVEN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »

If you can find one, or someone willing to sell it if they have one, a Realistic DX-160 is a decent starter rig for general coverage listening...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: