Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Keyer?  (Read 936 times)
W7KKK

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2006, 12:59:08 PM »

I had a novice ticket in the 1970s and then went inactive until a few years ago. All my CW then was with a straight key.
Most of the rigs I have had since returning have had keyers until now. I jus got an older IC-751 which does not have the keyer built in.
I need a recommendation for a used keyer for my paddles.
I see some out there that apparently have a tune button which I must assume gives you a solid key down?
I don't need anything really fancy as I am a casual CW op.
N3EF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 03:57:43 PM »

Well, the cheapest route would be to build a kit that I know of that would cost $14.00 including shipping and handling. It's simple and easy to build. The only thing extra you need is connectors, cable, and a small enclosure to stick it in. Here's the link:

http://jacksonharbor.home.att.net/pkbasic.htm
KC9HVN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 11:12:19 AM »

This little kit rocks... it's tiny and has a boatload of features, and best of all < 20$. Much nicer than other keyers at three time the price.

http://www.hamgadgets.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=51

AB9LZ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »

The tune button works with the Icom AH-4 tuner. Press the button and the radio puts out a 10W carrier. The tuner finds a match and unkeys the radio. The tune button does nothing unless you have a tuner or some other interface circuit connected to the 4-pin tuner connector on the rear panel.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 07:00:19 AM »

Hey, that little PicoKeyer Kit from Ham Gadgets is great!
I bought one with some options like the 50k pot and the regulator and still only spent $23.50 with shipping!

TNX for the replies.

73 de Ken
RADIOBOB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 10:58:19 AM »

There are many keyers, today, that will interface with your computer, and rig, using many software titles.  Most of these will allow you to use a "key" as well as the computers keyboard.

But for the very best of the crop of "keyers", check Ebay, Eham, QRZ, etc... for the KC1 "Kansas City" keyer, and the full line up of AEA keyers ( the MM1, MM2, MM3, and Contest keyer ).  The KC1 is getting hard to find.  The AEA keyes show up all the time for sale.  AEA probably made the best, most complete keyers of all time.  The MM3 was their last effort, and was nick named the "Morse Machine" for good reason.  The list of features is long.  It can be also connected to a computer. It has a code tranier built in.  It has contest pratice modes.  Set up the speed, spacing, timing, and more how ever you like.  Big memory buffers, that can be joined together.  The KC 1 comes close, and does a few different things.  By the way.  With both the AEA MM2, MM3, and KC1, you can use remote push buttons to choose up to five memories.  Lance Johnson Eng, ( who made the KC1 ), still sells the SS brckets with five buttons that mount to the bottom of a key.

These keyes very rarely have anything go wrong, and are safe buys.  I have two MM3's and 1 KC1, and will keep them for ever.

I know you said cheap.  I know others will offer good low prices options.  But .......  once you see all that the AEA MM3 can do, you will never regret spending the money. The AEA MM2 has just a few less features.  I will say the KC1 is for the die hard.

Please see if you can download a free copy of the AEA MM3 ( Morse Matic, or MM2 ) manuals, before you decide.

Good Luck

RADIOBOB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:06:41 AM »

On Ebay now,  AEA MM3, check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9704435757&fromMakeTrack=true

Item number: 9704435757
RADIOBOB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 11:11:03 AM »

The AEA keyer on Ebay does not mention a manual, if you buy the keyer, post a note here, and I will make a copy of mine free of charge, and send it to your call addrsss, or where ever you like.  Bob
SERGEANT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »

Without a doubt, Idiom Press's K-3. Or maybe now, their K-5. I have a K-3, and it is absolutely incredible. I also have one of Dale (N0XAS) Botkin's Pico-Keyers, which at $18 is a steal - four memories, lots of adjustability, very small and easy to build (takes all of 10 minutes with a soldering iron). I would also recommend the K1EL Win-Key, which interfaces with your computer and prevents processing overhead from causing "stumbles" in the keying. Good luck and 73!
Brad/K0BHC
KW4N

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 11:41:39 AM »

Best state-of-the-art keyer kit: www.k1el.com and look for the K40. The CW echo trainer in there will humble you.
73's, Dave, KW4N
WH6BDO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »

With reference to your March 29, 2006 entry "Which Keyer?"; I also have an AEA MM3 (gray panel) serial #M01020 but am  missing the manual.  If possibal I would appreciate you emailing me a copy.

73's
Peter Jacquelin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: