Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Award for DXpeditions  (Read 2615 times)
AA6YQ

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »

The Cass Award encourages DXpeditions to maximize the number of DXers they work by annually presenting a $1000 prize to the single-operator DXpedition that works the most unique callsigns within a 4-week interval. This award is named in honor of Cass WA6AUD (SK), whose stories in the West Coast DX Bulletin taught a generation of DXers that DX IS! The winner of the 2012 Cass Award will be announced in March 2013.

An “unlimited” award category with a larger prize is under development for introduction in 2013. If you’d like to pledge a contribution, send email to Contribution@CassAward.com .

To learn more, visit the Cass Award web site at www.CassAward.com .
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »

I like it, but, just thinking out loud:  "What If" you work the DX, he logs you in HIS log, assuming that he has no online log, but you are only 90%  Huh sure of the QSO, and it's one you need for an ATNO.  Your subsequent "Insurance" calls will be ignored by the DX, and all you will do is muck up the freq with QRM ?    Could be QRM  X  100s ??   More???   73, Gene AF3Y
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 04:17:40 PM »

The Cass Award encourages DXpeditions to maximize the number of DXers they work by annually presenting a $1000 prize to the single-operator DXpedition that works the most unique callsigns within a 4-week interval. This award is named in honor of Cass WA6AUD (SK), whose stories in the West Coast DX Bulletin taught a generation of DXers that DX IS! The winner of the 2012 Cass Award will be announced in March 2013.

An “unlimited” award category with a larger prize is under development for introduction in 2013. If you’d like to pledge a contribution, send email to Contribution@CassAward.com .

To learn more, visit the Cass Award web site at www.CassAward.com .

That won't be me! LOL. But I can root for one of you guys instead!
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:01:53 PM »

I like it, but, just thinking out loud:  "What If" you work the DX, he logs you in HIS log, assuming that he has no online log, but you are only 90%  Huh sure of the QSO, and it's one you need for an ATNO.  Your subsequent "Insurance" calls will be ignored by the DX, and all you will do is muck up the freq with QRM ?    Could be QRM  X  100s ??   More???   73, Gene AF3Y

Determining how best to work the maximum number of unique callsigns is indeed a challenge; a simple "one QSO per callsign" rule may not be the optimal strategy. This award will encourage experimentation and innovation.

Dave, AA6YQ
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:16:29 PM »

I like it, but, just thinking out loud:  "What If" you work the DX, he logs you in HIS log, assuming that he has no online log, but you are only 90%  Huh sure of the QSO, and it's one you need for an ATNO.  Your subsequent "Insurance" calls will be ignored by the DX, and all you will do is muck up the freq with QRM ?    Could be QRM  X  100s ??   More???   73, Gene AF3Y

Determining how best to work the maximum number of unique callsigns is indeed a challenge; a simple "one QSO per callsign" rule may not be the optimal strategy. This award will encourage experimentation and innovation.

Dave, AA6YQ

Yep, I do like it. Anything to cut down on the amount of DX "Piggies" would be a good thing.  I have been guilty of hogging contacts myself, but one or two QSOs should be sufficient, unless its late in the expedition and the DX is begging (Which I have not heard happen lately. hi)

Perhaps a SIMPLE On Line Log with no boxes for checkmarks, etc. could be devised easily. Just a way to let you verify that you did, in fact, make the Contact.  In other words "Take the Contesting out of DXing". (I am certain I am going to get flamed for that one.) Oh Well, 73 es gud DX, Gene AF3Y
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:18:02 PM by AF3Y » Logged
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »

I think the simplest and probably easiest method for the DX station to implement would be to limit the number of bands and modes used. So no 160 or 6 meters; no RTTY; no FM, PSK or moonbounce. Work CW and ssb on 40, 20 and 15, and maybe pick two of the three depending on propagation.

T32C had 37 band slots on their leaderboard. That's right, 37!. Trim that down to a maximum of six and the pileups will quickly drop to the point that stations with 100 watts and wire antennas will have a chance to get into the log. To be fair to T32C, they were begging on most bands halfway through their month on the island.

I saw complaints that J52HF was spending too much time on 15M sideband during their operation. However, it was that dogged determination to work everyone possible on that band that let me get into the log with my 100W and a wire.

Dave, N6ORB
V47JA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »

I personally will not change my operating and logging proceedures for a slim chance for $1000 Award. In the time it takes to check if a station that is calling is a dupe, I could have worked him/her and removed that strong station from the pile-up, making it easier for the weak ones. Why change what has worked for me for the past 53 years.   Your results may vary......

John  V47JA - J68JA - V31FB - P40DX  - G0AOH  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:58:19 PM by V47JA » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:25:45 PM »

I personally will not change my operating and logging proceedures for a slim chance for $1000 Award. In the time it takes to check if a station that is calling is a dupe, I could have worked him/her and removed that strong station from the pile-up, making it easier for the weak ones. Why change what has worked for me for the past 53 years.   Your results may vary......

John  V47JA - J68JA - V31FB - P40DX  - G0AOH  

If your technique is optimal, there is no reason to change it. I hope you will submit your logs for this award; there is no cost and little effort to do so.
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »

Perhaps a SIMPLE On Line Log with no boxes for checkmarks, etc. could be devised easily. Just a way to let you verify that you did, in fact, make the Contact.  In other words "Take the Contesting out of DXing". (I am certain I am going to get flamed for that one.) Oh Well, 73 es gud DX, Gene AF3Y

I like it. Just one box, no bands, no modes. Green if you worked them, red if you didn't.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »

I can't think of many one-operator dxpeditions to semi-rare entities.  Vlad would probably take the top honor for this year.  One should not be concerned about people taking up band slots in a single-operator dxpedition. I just don't see that happening unless the entity being activated is rare.

As for the unlimited prize, most large scale dxpeditions aim to work as many unique callers as possible anyway. While I believe the prize is a good thing, I don't believe it will influence the results from large dxpeditions.

Jonathan W6GX
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 11:12:02 AM »

I can't think of many one-operator dxpeditions to semi-rare entities.  Vlad would probably take the top honor for this year.  One should not be concerned about people taking up band slots in a single-operator dxpedition. I just don't see that happening unless the entity being activated is rare.

"semi-rare" is subjective. A DXer with 100-150 entities confirmed has different needs than one with 300+ entities confirmed. Here's a list of Roger G3SXW's expeditions, for example:

Afghanistan, YA1R
Cyprus, C4SXW
Iran, EP2IA
Macau, XX9TSX
Nepal, 9N1SXW
Benin, TY5SXW
Burkina Faso, XT2SX
The Gambia, C56/G3SXW
Ghana, 9G5SX
Ivory Coast, TU/G3SXW
Morocco, CN5N
Togo, 5V7A
Chatham Island, ZL7/G3SXW
Nauru, C21SX
Solomon Islands, H44SX
Wallis & Futuna, FW/G3SXW
Cayman Islands, ZF2WW
Cocos Keeling, VK9CXW
Mayotte, FH/G3SXW
Seychelles, S79SXW
Swaziland, 3DA/G3SXW
Tristan da Cunha, ZD9SX

Do you have all of those confirmed?

As for the unlimited prize, most large scale dxpeditions aim to work as many unique callers as possible anyway.

One what basis do you make this claim? The metric most often discussed for large-scale DXpeditions is total QSOs.

While I believe the prize is a good thing, I don't believe it will influence the results from large dxpeditions.

The prize for the Cass Award's unlimited category has not yet been announced; we're aiming for $10K, which should have an impact.

Dave, AA6YQ
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 11:46:23 AM »

This is a very, very bad idea.  There are a number of DXCC entities under FCC administration.  Any station operating from thoses entities that even submits an entry ins this contest has violated Part 97.113(a)(2), Prohibited Transmissions:

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(2) Communications for hire or for material compensation, direct or indirect, paid or promised, except as otherwise provided in these rules

It may also be against the regulations in any number of other entities, let alone the spirit of Amateur Radio and the very deifinition of the word "Amateur.

Don, K2DC
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »

This is a very, very bad idea.  There are a number of DXCC entities under FCC administration.  Any station operating from thoses entities that even submits an entry ins this contest has violated Part 97.113(a)(2), Prohibited Transmissions:

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(2) Communications for hire or for material compensation, direct or indirect, paid or promised, except as otherwise provided in these rules

It may also be against the regulations in any number of other entities, let alone the spirit of Amateur Radio and the very deifinition of the word "Amateur.

Don, K2DC

There are already many awards and grants given to DXpeditions. Dxpeditions solicit donations. No operator is getting paid to operate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: