Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood  (Read 7671 times)
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 05:37:47 AM »

Couldn't be much happier with my TS-590.

It would be nice to have dual receivers or at least 100% independent VFOs but for $1500 you can't beat it IMO. Like someone else said, I'd rather spend the marginal cost of a more expensive rig on antennas, feedlines, etc.

ex W4HFK
WS3N

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 05:48:00 AM »

It's like any other hobby. The majority of the sales are to wannabe Joe Schmoe. It's like the guys riding fancy bikes on Saturday morning, decked out in full racing garb, or the weekend warriors who buy the expensive tennis rackets and golf clubs. Only a pro would be able to tell the difference or make use of them.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 06:08:09 AM »

I would not spend 10 grand on a rig but if you aren't willing to lay out 2 grand for a new rig I think you are cheating yourself.

If you spend wisely you will not handicap or cheat yourself in any way. Think TS-590s at $1500.
Now that is a great buy.

Ya gotta pay to play if DX is your game of choice, plain and simple. I agree that anything over $5k is insanely overpriced and clearly aimed at the wealthy retiree market, not everyday hams. But for performance there are many good radios on the marked under that mark. Yes, a loaded K3 is $4500 and represents the best new transceiver technology available in the marketplace today. If you can't afford that then there are a good number of contesters and DXers who are selling off their older radios to buy K3s or FT-5000s, etc. You should be able to find a Mark V fully loaded with INRAD filters for $1500-2000, an IC-781, FT-990 or other in that class for a decent sum. None of those radios are bad deals, but are generally larger, heavier and have more analogue controls than the current crop.

New is nice, but nicely used is often a better deal. And as one poster mentioned, you're far wiser to invest as much as possible in your antennas before even considering a better radio.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 07:04:39 AM »

I would not spend 10 grand on a rig but if you aren't willing to lay out 2 grand for a new rig I think you are cheating yourself.

If you spend wisely you will not handicap or cheat yourself in any way. Think TS-590s at $1500.
Now that is a great buy.

New is nice, but nicely used is often a better deal. And as one poster mentioned, you're far wiser to invest as much as possible in your antennas before even considering a better radio.

I have a K3 as my main rig and TS-590s as a backup. They are both very competent radios - great for DX-ing. If I were to buy something used - I would go with another Ten Tec Orion (either I or II, and I would imagine the used Orion I might be priced well these days). The main reason is that Ten Tec still supports the radio and offers reasonable repair service at the factory. The Omni VII is also a really great radio for DX-ing.

Another "oldie but goodie" is the FT-1000 - in various flavors - but the big problem with those is that parts have been discontinued for some - like the FT-1000D.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »

Ya gotta pay to play if DX is your game of choice, plain and simple.

Yeah, but you do not have to get a second mortgage to play. A TS-590s and a small beam at $500, a small amp and you are in the game big time for under $3K. Also remember this. The greatest station in the world is not going to help you work DX if you do not have skill and knowledge.

Used radios in my opinion suck. They usually stink from years of cigarette smoke, have been abused by clueless ops, stained by coffee and beer cups and marred by equipment sitting on top. Lots of used equipment has had many owners. No warranty and good luck if it needs fixing. You better have deep pockets.

On top of all that most hams want unrealistic prices for used equipment, do not give free shipping AND want you to pay 3-4% paypal fees.

Gimme new any day.

Stan K9IUQ
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 08:52:21 AM »

Gimme new any day.

I am with you on this one. I am still using the TS930S that I bought in 1988.

Another trouble with used radios is the damage caused by the lizards who go into these radios and modify them. That seems to be an epidemic around here.

Mark N1UK
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 09:23:27 AM »

I have to disagree with you a bit concerning "used" equipment. When I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, I needed a nice rig, but felt that spending $2000 or more was just out of my price range. I wanted a dual receiver, so I opted for the Mark V. I found a nice one online for $1200 and felt this would be a good rig for a revived DX'er. I haven't regretted my purchase a bit. I've purchased almost all the filters for it now, so that helps considerably. Also, although the Mark V is a great transceiver, it does have some issues. So I plan on doing some of those mods you disdain Smiley There is nothing wrong with modding your transceiver if you are fairly certain that it will improve it's operation, and you take the time to do it right. Actually manufacturers mod their own equipment all the time with service bulletins, etc.

John K7KB
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 09:32:38 AM »

I cannot fathom spending $7000+ on a radio. (I still cannot justify getting a K3 for $2000). I frankly think it is weird they want so much, I suspect the radio costs $400 for Kenwood to put together.

paul

And for $2K, you're only getting the basic stripped down vanilla version with 10W out!!!! Add in all the options and you better double (or more) that check to Elecraft!!!

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 09:37:24 AM »

I have to disagree with you a bit concerning "used" equipment. When I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, I needed a nice rig, but felt that spending $2000 or more was just out of my price range. I wanted a dual receiver, so I opted for the Mark V. I found a nice one online for $1200 and felt this would be a good rig for a revived DX'er. I haven't regretted my purchase a bit. I've purchased almost all the filters for it now, so that helps considerably. Also, although the Mark V is a great transceiver, it does have some issues. So I plan on doing some of those mods you disdain Smiley There is nothing wrong with modding your transceiver if you are fairly certain that it will improve it's operation, and you take the time to do it right. Actually manufacturers mod their own equipment all the time with service bulletins, etc.

John K7KB

Don't get me wrong, they are great but the one problem with the Mark V and many of the older dual RX rigs is that are only in-band dual RX. Step up to dual RX any band any mode and you're going to see the prices the newer models are asking. Example in my opinion there isn't THAT much functional difference between the FT-2000 and the FT-5000 except with the exception of the dual RX any band in the FT-5K and the price is nearly double.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »

Agreed. Independent receivers are overkill, especially when you can't transmit and receive at the same time as in the 5000.

Jonathan W6GX
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »

Don't get me wrong, they are great but the one problem with the Mark V and many of the older dual RX rigs is that are only in-band dual RX."]

You know, I've seen that mentioned about the Mark V before and I don't think that's true. It may have been for the FT-1000MP but I know with my Mark V I can set VFO-A and VFO-B to completely seperate bands on the receive side. I'll check it out again this evening when I get home just to make sure.

John K7KB
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 11:01:37 AM »

Don't get me wrong, they are great but the one problem with the Mark V and many of the older dual RX rigs is that are only in-band dual RX."]

You know, I've seen that mentioned about the Mark V before and I don't think that's true. It may have been for the FT-1000MP but I know with my Mark V I can set VFO-A and VFO-B to completely seperate bands on the receive side. I'll check it out again this evening when I get home just to make sure.

John K7KB

I am only recalling form memory but I pretty sure that is the way my buddy's Mark V works. I may be wrong as I haven't used that feature alot but I recall him saying that.

I do like the Mark V and I have considered getting a nice clean used one but really wanted the dual RX any band feature but the $$$$ is the limited factor for me right now.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »

Ya gotta pay to play if DX is your game of choice, plain and simple.

Yeah, but you do not have to get a second mortgage to play. A TS-590s and a small beam at $500, a small amp and you are in the game big time for under $3K. Also remember this. The greatest station in the world is not going to help you work DX if you do not have skill and knowledge.

Used radios in my opinion suck. They usually stink from years of cigarette smoke, have been abused by clueless ops, stained by coffee and beer cups and marred by equipment sitting on top. Lots of used equipment has had many owners. No warranty and good luck if it needs fixing. You better have deep pockets.

On top of all that most hams want unrealistic prices for used equipment, do not give free shipping AND want you to pay 3-4% paypal fees.

Gimme new any day.

Stan K9IUQ

I have to disagree with you on this one Stan.  Both of my rigs have been used.  Neither have been an issue.  Both my IC-7000 and my Yaesu FT-2000d were bought off of QRZ.  In my opinion the main thing is to make sure that you have a chance to "feel" out a seller.  Give him a chance to tell you why he is selling it, ask for more pics ect.  If he is not willing to do this for you, MOVE ON.  I am sure that at some point I will get burned, but this type of "feeling out" the seller should give you the report to feel less uneasy dropping a few grand on your dream rig. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 05:20:42 AM »

Back on topic, I am kind of torn on the TS990s.  I love the LCD screen on the left side, but feel that the frequency display screen is a bout an inch too narrow.  The proportions are a bit out of wack. Now if the RX specs are awesome like that of the K3, I am sure many folks like me will be able to turn a blind eye to that. 

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K0YHV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »

In terms of price, remember the Icom 781 cost $6400 in 1991 dollars when it came out, and it didn't include 6m, and did do dual watch which is like dual receive but not as good.  You were limited to the same mode and bandwidth in each receiver, and couldn't separate the receivers into different ears.  So, the TS990 seems to be a bargain compared to some earlier radios.

John AF5CC
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: