Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood  (Read 7682 times)
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »

We don't know enough about the '990 to be able to say whether it's an SDR or not.  It is impossible to tell if a radio is a true SDR by the front panel - there are no clues (unless none of its controls are programmable or menu based).  Since there are on-screen menus, those can be updated by new software anytime, and most radios have had DSP-based modems for several years already.  Don't make the mistake of thinking that a radio with no physical "front panel" and only a pc-based screen as an operator interface is the only definition of an SDR.

The '990 looks like a very nice radio, with built-in spectrum scope, dual receive, and pretty much all the control one could want.  I have a TS-2000x, and my only complaint is it's a bit ugly (to my eye) appearance.  It is very easy to use and a pleasant radio to listen to.  The satellite modes and all bands up to 1300 MHz gives me pretty much everything I need, except for full dual receive and a spectrum scope, both of which I expect a '990 to exceed my needs on.  

I want a premium DX and contest radio to step up to.  I want a good-looking radio too.  After all, we look at our radio while we are using it, so pleasing appearance is helpful. I deserve it, after 25-ish years migrating from a Ten Tec Paragon to a Yaesu FT-847 then the TS-2Kx, and as radio companies learn how to make radios more pleasant to use ("human interface" engineering is a technology and it does evolve, as Steve Jobs for one, certainly proved over a period of 30 years), so tomorrow's radios should be that much more pleasant to use than radios of old.  Hmm, all except for the weighted tuning knob...whatever happened to that concept?...  I miss that.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: