Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Six Meter antenna question  (Read 1415 times)
KT4XP

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »

I would like to upgrade my antenna (2El Moxon @ 35' ) to a 4 El Yagi @ 35'.To have better weak signal performance.My concern is with the sharper beamwidth I will have trouble hearing the Beacons from all directions.

My question is ; Will I need to add a Squalo to the mast so I can still copy beacons and not miss any openings.I can then switch between the two antennas as needed.

If so , how close below the beam and rotor should I mount it?The max height of the mast is 35'.My concern is to minimize interaction between the squalo and the 4El Yagi.

Thanks for any help in this, Peter KT4XP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:48:00 AM »

I'd forget the squalo and just use the beam.

You won't miss much in the way of beacons with a 4L Yagi...its front lobe cover most of the U.S. if you just aim northwest.  Weaker beacons from overseas probably wouldn't be heard on a squalo at all unless propagation was so incredibly good that most home stations would be S9+ at which point you'll know the band's open without beacons. Wink
KT4XP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:45:24 PM »

Thanks Steve

I just would not want to miss any Carribean Beacons if the Beam is parked NW.
I guess I could  park it SW.I like to scan beacon freqs while working around the shack.

Peter KT4XP EM94
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

It depends on how much loss of forward gain or deterioration of F/B ratio you can tolerate. I ran a quick EZNEC model and the interaction with 20' spacing is minimal. With 10' spacing the F/B drops by a few dB.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »

One thing you could do is add another "moxon" on an extended boom. This "Moxon" is actually a pair of directors in a rectangle.
Vine Antennas here in the UK has done this. Heres a link to show you what I mean

http://www.vinecom.co.uk/moxons.htm
KT4XP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 05:02:13 AM »

<the interaction with 20' spacing is minimal. With 10' spacing the F/B drops by a few db.>

I think I will try just the beam as WIK suggested, thanks for the model.at 20'
below it would be so low it wouldn't hear anything anyway.If I need to I can put a loop
on its own mast. but high enough to be useful.

Thanks for the Moxon link, I never saw a horizontal Moxon stack.My Moxon is a wire with
fishing pole spreaders.A stack like that would have a large wind load.

I think a 4 El yagi is the way to go.thanks again.kt4xp
AI7RR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:02:48 PM »

Given your location and interest in the Carribean, I'd point the beam just east of the area of interest. As long as the F/B is not extreme, you'll probably hear activity from most openings off the backside.
73, Roger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: