Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP Field Day 2012  (Read 12028 times)
K5TED

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »

Will be operating QRP, Solar/battery with:

45w solar array, 12 x 7Ah SLA battery pack & 45Ah single SLA

FT-817ND - phone
Flex 1500 - PSK31
SG-2020 - phone/digi

Macbook Air(Bootcamp Win7 64 bit) for Flex, and NUE-PSK on the SG-2020

33' ground mounted vertical
Hamstick dipoles
Random wire

Operating from EM00KA

What's your setup?
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 05:25:30 AM »

I'll be with a group at here in EMA (eastern MA) FN42. 
The Site will be Concord Rod and Gun Club in Concord MA.

The line up will 3A on batteries, K2s or maybe a KX3 plus VHF using Tentec 6n2.
Stations will run digi, phone, and CW.

Antennas will include wire beams, a G5RV, Par EF40/20/10, and for
VHF 3elements on 6 and 4 or 5 on 2.  The VHF stack will include a DC
powered rotator.

Batteries will include AGM, SLA, and my set of 150ah wet NiCd with solar panels.
PCs will include Macs, linux laptops all battery assisted.

The FD call will likely be either WB1GOF or W1IS.

Anyone in this thread should also be listing their site on the ARRL Field day site finder.

Happy Field day, lots of DX.

Allison/kb1gmx
K5TEB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 05:53:38 PM »

Will operate 1b "patio portable."  Ten Tec r4020,  twinlead doublet, 7aH sla battery, and Vizkey paddles.  Health issues won't let me venture too far from home.  k5ted, nice call de k5teb, Terry.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:57 AM »

I am thinking of operating 40 meter QRP on Field Day using an MFJ 9040 and probably either a random wire through a tuner or a 40 meter dipole.  I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice or this just not worth the effort to try qrp CW on Field Day?

Mike KU4UV
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »

Not "my" setup, but I'll probably be on 40/15 meter phone again from W4UNC, 9A battery.

I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice or this just not worth the effort to try qrp CW on Field Day?

CW is your best bet if you're running QRP on FD. As a phone guy, I've found it very hard to run on any frequency, other than at 2AM Sunday morning. The CW guys have a lot more luck holding a pileup Smiley
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »

CW is your best bet if you're running QRP on FD. As a phone guy, I've found it very hard to run on any frequency, other than at 2AM Sunday morning. The CW guys have a lot more luck holding a pileup Smiley

Thanks, my twin brother and I are both hams and we are going to try to operate from one of our family farms down in southern, Kentucky.  I am going to try to get a wire antenna of some sort as high in the trees as possible and try my luck. 

KU4UV
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:27 PM »

Quote from: KU4UV
... or this just not worth the effort to try qrp CW on Field Day?

Actually it is a BLAST! to work QRP CW on Field Day.

For several years I had to be available around the house on short notice on Field Day
weekend, so I just ran the rig on batteries and tried to see if I could work all 50 States
running QRP for intermittent operation.  Usually got at least 40, best was 47 states using
dipoles.

The last couple years I've gone out with the local club and set up a CW station.  I worked
over 200 stations last year in about 8 hours of operation - more than twice that of the rest
of the stations combined.

This year we'll be operating W7YAM again from Sheridan Peak (2800' with a steep drop off
to the East.)  I've been using a 80m horizontal loop on all bands, which works pretty well
on 40m and 20m (major lobes in the 4 compass points), but after studying the patterns
the lobes are really too narrow on 20m and up.  So now I'm looking at some wire quad
beams that we can string up on a rope between two trees.  Looks like 4 elements
should about cover a 60 degree beamwidth (which is about optimum from way out here
on the West Coast.)  Mostly depends on how much time I want to spend setting up
wire antennas, as I'm often setting them up for the the rest of the group as well.
(I loan my TA-33jr yagi out to one of the phone stations, as they need all the help
they can get when running QRP.)
KE2EE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »

I'll probably be running my K1 (5w) again on the backyard deck, powered by 2 ah gel battery with small
solar panel. Antennas will be temporary 40/20m dipoles. Last year I had a blast with this setup- almost all stations came back to my 5 w CW signal.
I found Sunday AM the best as clubs were still looking for contacts and the QRM had settled down.
Lots of fun.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:41:03 PM by KE2EE » Logged
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 09:06:49 PM »

I am thinking of operating 40 meter QRP on Field Day using an MFJ 9040 and probably either a random wire through a tuner or a 40 meter dipole.  I was wondering if anyone can offer any advice or this just not worth the effort to try qrp CW on Field Day?
QRP CW on Field Day is great - you get more points for CW contacts, and you get more points if you're at 5w or less on a battery.  I operated this way last year for the first time and ended up with almost 450 QSOs using only a 50' doublet hung as a sloper.  See http://aa4ga.blogspot.com/2011/06/field-day-2011.html

73 de Lee, AA4GA - See you on Field Day!

KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »

Thanks guys, hope to work some of you during Field Day this year regardless of what type of equipment and mode my brother and I ultimately settle on.  Have fun and stay safe this year!

Mike KU4UV
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 02:03:14 PM »

Oh yeah, one last question.  Would something like a couple of 6 volt lantern batteries be fine for a qrp rig at 5W for the entire contest?  I thought about just buying some lantern batteries or D cell batteries.  Thanks gang!

KU4UV
KC7YE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 02:45:39 PM »

I used lantern batteries with early QRP when working in Alaska bush. Will work but not for long, not cost effective. Just get a modern gel cell battery. Times have changed for the better QRP wise in last 35 - 40 years. Would have been happy camper with what's available today.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »

That totally depends on what rig you are using and how long you operate.

A pair of lantern batteries should last the whole 24 hours if you are using a small
rig like the SW40+ or perhaps an HW-8 that doesn't draw a lot of current on receive.
(My 40-40 rig is around 25mA, and the HW-8 is less than 100mA.)  By contrast
the K2 draws around 200mA on receive and 2+ amps on transmit.  The FT-817
and IC-703 may draw more than that.  Some rigs can draw an amp on receive
if they were designed for mobile use rather than portable operation.

So there is a wide variation, and you have to run the calculations for your
particular rig, and know how low a voltage it will operate down to.  (It isn't
uncommon to hear chirpy signals on Sunday morning as batteries get low.)

But I'd also recommend getting a rechargable gel cell battery rather than a
pair of one-time-use lantern batteries.  I've made it through a weekend of
intermittent operation on a 4.5Ah battery, though a 7Ah battery (or two)
might be better for many rigs.
AA4GA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 07:21:48 AM »

I used lantern batteries with early QRP when working in Alaska bush. Will work but not for long, not cost effective. Just get a modern gel cell battery.
I'll agree with this - lantern cells vary in their capacity, and it's not easy to get specs.  The higher capacity batteries are a good bit more expensive, and a pair is approaching the cost of a 7AH SLAB.  If you refer to the FD page I noted above, you'll see that two 7AH SLABs would last for the entire 24 hours of FD using a current hog of a QRP rig, the FT817ND.  And that's with a fair amount of transmitting.

K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:54 AM »

Mike KU4UV

Mike its ALWAYS a good idea to try QRP.  I think you will surprise yourself.  Just get the wire up as high as possible and operate.  I have committed to 100% QRP this year and so far haven't wanted to go QRO yet.  I have heard it said that "Life is to short for QRP".  But I say life is too short for QRO.  QRP is a real blast!!!

72, JP, K8AG
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: