The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Club ; Good source for Ares/Races members  (Read 2210 times)
KF7VXA

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »

In our local area, we have had a limited number of licensed, active ham radio operators.
Several of us got together and decided to start a "Ham Radio Club". Our club has been in existence for about 3 months and we have already started to grow faster than we had ever thought.
Not every one in ham radio wants to join Ares or Races, and club members do not have to join, but several have decided to join our local Ares and Races groups as a result of having become a club member.
We will train and test for anyone wanting an Amateur License or upgrade for any reason. You don't have to be a club member or want to join Ares/Races. We like to see more Amateurs no matter their reason for getting licensed.
It looks to be a great vehicle for increasing membership.
If you don't have a local club, start one.
If your club is dying a slow death, revitalize it.
We are holding classes and testing sessions, and have 3 Extra Class V.E's in the club.

Kuto's to our Local E.C. He has been the driving force in getting this all off the ground.

We all chipped in and bought a Yaesu Fusion repeater at a good discount that is given to Amateur Radio Clubs.
A visiting Amateur from another area was more than kind enough to give us a set of duplexers, which made this all happen much sooner.

As of today, W7RAC repeater is on the air in Teton County Idaho on 147.140 receive, 147.740 transmit, PL 123.

For now the repeater and antenna are in the Teton Valley to burn it in, check for any bugs and as soon as the snow clears off Relay Ridge (2,500' above the valley floor), the repeater will be going up on the 8,500' mountain with a 3 bay folded loop antenna and back up generator. It will operate either analog (on all radio's) or on Yaesu digital modes.

The repeater will serve Teton County, ID as well as the greater Idaho Falls area, Rigby and up to Island Park.
It is open to any licensed ham. The repeater is Club owned and will be used for General Amateur use, Special Events, other Club Approved Requests, Ares and/or Races weekly nets and emergency's. This repeater should have very wide area coverage.

If you're in Teton County, ID, key it up and say hi. In about a month, give or take, listen for it in the Greater Idaho Falls area and give us a shout with signal reports from different areas and maybe some good ol fashion rag chewing once it's on the mountain.
All are welcome to use it.

John

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 01:38:31 PM by KF7VXA » Logged
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:22:30 AM »

John,

Congratulations on getting things going in Teton county. I am sure the county has grown since I used to visit my wife's uncle in Driggs. I then lived in Ammon, kinda wish I still did, but you have to go where the work is. I was there in the 90's.

David

KF7CG
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:08:38 PM »

Thanks David,
We are going to be working hard to keep the Ares group and the Club lively.
Clubs needs lots of activities and to participate in contests as well as other things such as Field Day. We have a big one planned.
Project construction and good presentations also come to mind as well as having the group help each other such as setting up new antennas (especially home made) at members homes.
On the Ares side, good training as well as real world type practice and helping with as many community events as possible.
We are lucky that we have a great County EC as well as a highly motivated Ares EC. Some of the Ares members are also getting S.A.R. trained and will man the radios and do other things as their physical condition allows on SAR runs.

The is nothing more boring than just checking into a net once a week and doing nothing else.

73's John
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 11:49:35 AM »

"DUH"!!!! ........K4EJQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: