Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 5BTV radials?  (Read 1491 times)
KI4SJU

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:56:22 AM »

Good morning my fellow hams! I need some help from you all. I have had this 5BTV up for about 2 months now and it does ok but I know it will do better with radials, but I am not sure how to do it with my layout or if it would even help to put them down in my setup? I have put links to pictures of my setup below. You all usually have great insight and great brainstorming ideas so maybe you all can help me? I hope to hear and talk to you all soon.

73's
KI4SJU

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/btlacer/DSC04017.jpg
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p79/btlacer/DSC04016.jpg
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »

Since you have elevated your antenna you are going to need tuned radials.  By tuned I mean that each radial is about 1/4 wavelength.  A good way to do this is disconnect the antenna from ground, add radials for each band 2 at a time, trimming them to resonance (like a dipole).  Strive for at least 4 per band that you want to use.  They can slope down toward the ground somewhat but don't let them get too close to the ground. 

Your setup is much like mine.  Some of my radials slope up the roof and some bend to accommodate the space I have.  It should work acceptably and your efficiency will be much better...much, much better.

Richard
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 07:47:14 AM »

One other thing - you can get the notes from DX Engineering on putting up radials for the Hustler and it is very informative and helpful.

Richard
K3VAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:42:46 PM »

Good morning my fellow hams! I need some help from you all. I have had this 5BTV up for about 2 months now and it does ok but I know it will do better with radials, but I am not sure how to do it with my layout or if it would even help to put them down in my setup? I have put links to pictures of my setup below. You all usually have great insight and great brainstorming ideas so maybe you all can help me? I hope to hear and talk to you all soon. 73's KI4SJU

Hello Beau,

AB4ZT is correct; you'll need tuned radials with this configuration.  

Some of my radials slope up the roof and some bend to accommodate the space I have.  It should work acceptably and your efficiency will be much better...much, much better. 73, Richard

Sloping radials are OK, but try and keep each radial as straight as possible (bent radials work, but they're not optimum).  Don't criss-cross radials and try to construct each pair so as one radial is 180 degrees with respect to the other radial.

What most of us experience with elevated verticals and tuned radials is that there often is lots of climbing up and down, pruning this radial, re-positioning that radial.  This is because elevated radials cut and tuned for different bands interact.  If you plan to operate on 80M then you'll need ~ 65 feet of wire for each 80M radial; often this is difficult given small lots.

GL, 73, Rich, K3VAT

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:41:35 AM by K3VAT » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: