Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-100D deal?  (Read 6559 times)
NV1P

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:20:07 AM »

Hello all,

I was recently offered a FT-100D for $500. It comes with the separation kit, the AM and CW filter. Judging by what someone was selling this for at Dayton (and what someone paid the guy), as well as what it went for on eBay, this is a pretty good deal. However, when I told the guys at my local ham club they disagree. Am I getting a good deal? Is there a better radio out there for the price?

Sam
NV1P
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »

That may well be a good deal. Have you tried one out before?
Be sure that it is the FT-100D. The older FT-100 had some problems
that I have read about in the past. Yaesu builds nice radios.
The ONLY thing I have against their mobile HF radios, is the small
display size. My eyesight is not as good as it once was and the small
displays on all of their mobile HF rigs is too hard for me to see. Especially
if you have to make any real changes. Of course, most menu settings are
set and forget. And should be made while stationary anyway.
Try it out if you can. If you like it, then the price is reasonable. It is certainly
within the price range I have seen for those radios.
Only you can decide if it is a deal or not. Price alone is not the only thing to
go by. Ease of use is one of the biggest factors. If you don't enjoy using a radio,
then it doesn't matter how cheap it is.
james
WD5GWY

I use and have used, ICOM 706 MKIIG (great radio) ICOM 7000(another great radio)
as well as a Kenwood TS-50 (good radio, hard to see display) and the Alinco DX-70T
another decent radio for the money, but, again, hard to see display).

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:01:19 AM by WD5GWY » Logged
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:20:55 PM »

Sam,the original FT-100 had a few problems which were supposedly corrected in the "D" version. They had bad internal grounding,overheated,and the built in speaker was very tinny sounding. The newer version used a modified ground strap,had a fan mod,and a bigger speaker. This is one radio you shoudn`t buy sight unseen. If you want used,I`d go for a FT-857,857D,IC-706MK2G,IC-7000.
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:11:27 AM »

Somewhat true but not true.. The FT100 and 100D had the same problems. The updates were only included in the very last of them to leave the factory and not all of the updates were performed unless the rig was sent back with a complaint for a specific problem. This is by far one of the best mobile radios Yaesu has ever made, but they dropped the ball on updating them and instead sent them out and addressed complaints one by one and constantly denied knowing there was trouble. You need to open the radio and see if these mods were performed visually.

The mods were 1. The fan mod, Yaesu's version differs from the hams version. The fans should be attached to a thermistor layed over the final in Yaesu's version. The hams version was to run the fans thru a resistor or full speed. The latter is better IMHO because there was insufficient thermal conductivity in that rig and the firmware was screwy making the VHF/UHF final overheat.

2. The SWR mod, the rig had a its grounding points made mostly with copper tape, when the tape failed or was misapplied from the factory the radio would throw a spur our on 13mhz, distorting the audio and showing hi swr. The repair was to strap a middle rf protected can to the middle rib of the radio and then another on the left side to the center rib. If these are present, you have that mod. Some people placed star washers under the boards to tame the RF issues as well.

3. Mic mod, remove the round baffle in the mic and open the three holes for better audio.

Once these are done, the FT100 becomes a palm sized FT1000  in your car. I have every mobile HF rig under the sun and the FT100 and D rigs were by far the best RX,DSP and tx audio rigs ever to grace my vehicle. Richy N2ZD

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 12:05:31 PM »

They are no longer produced, but the tend to work well.  I think the finals are no longer available, so depending on what breaks, they may not be repairable. they make a great mobile rig but I don't know that I would pay more than  about $00 to $450 max, for a righ that runs and looks like new. gud luck.
KB7NRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:19:58 AM »

I know this thread is a couple weeks old but I thought I'd respond anyway.

If the FT-100D has been taken care of and is in good condition, it's well worth $500.
I recently purchased one that has the fan, mic and grounding strap mods done. Paid $575
shipped.

I'm really liking this radio. Have made contacts to VK & LW on HF and worked some of the
local V/U repeaters. Working on getting a 6 mtr beam up soon. I figured out the how to
navigate the menu without a manual. Very easy to use.

Improvements over the original FT-100 version include:
* TCXO-8 for incredible ±1 PPM stability. Great during digital mode work.
* XF-117C 500 Hz 8-Pole Crystal filter for superb CW selectivity.
* FTS-27 CTCSS Decoder Unit for quiet FM monitoring.
* New larger, high quality speaker for outstanding audio.

For a Do-All radio, $500 is a good price.

John

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:51:14 AM by KB7NRN » Logged
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 06:40:24 AM »

I had one on my bench a while back, I was checking it out for a ham before he bought it.  The HF side worked great and had a good receive for a all band rig.  The VHF / UHF was dead, I guess that is a somewhat common problem.  As mentioned, if it is working and in decent shape $500.00 is about right, but given it's track record I think I'd save another $100.00 and buy a clean used FT-857, they seem to be a real solid radio and cover the same bands plus 60 meters.
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:09:15 AM »

I have used a FT-100D mobile for around 7-8 years with no problems.  MANY used FT-100's have a blown VHF - UHF final transistor.  When they were available Yaesu wanted something like $400 to replace it.  The original transistors are no longer available at any price.  Even with a blown VHF - UHF final transistor the FT-100(D) is still a great 1.8 - 54 MHz mobile rig.

Personally I would not pay more than $400 for a mint one.

IMO the FT-857 is a better designed rig.  The 857 seems to keep on going and going.  But I have had great success with the FT-100D and my VHF and UHF section still transmits.

Dick  AD4U
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »

I have used a FT-100D mobile for around 7-8 years with no problems.  MANY used FT-100's have a blown VHF - UHF final transistor.  When they were available Yaesu wanted something like $400 to replace it.  The original transistors are no longer available at any price.  Even with a blown VHF - UHF final transistor the FT-100(D) is still a great 1.8 - 54 MHz mobile rig.

Personally I would not pay more than $400 for a mint one.

IMO the FT-857 is a better designed rig.  The 857 seems to keep on going and going.  But I have had great success with the FT-100D and my VHF and UHF section still transmits.

Dick  AD4U

Having had the opportunity to use both rigs side-by-side, the FT100D is a much superior radio to the FT-857D.  And the FT-857D menu system can only be described as byzantine VS that of the FT-100D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: