Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480 vs TS-570SG  (Read 4021 times)
WA4NJY

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:07:16 AM »

Apart from the panels and controls, is there much difference in the two radios?

I would like the one with best strong signal handling and 6 meter use.

Thanks,
Ed
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »

Apart from the panels and controls, is there much difference in the two radios?

I would like the one with best strong signal handling and 6 meter use.

Thanks,
Ed

I have a 480 SAT and 570D(G) (no 6m) and have owned both for several years. When I play radios side by side on HF bands they both hear about the same thought 480 is a bit quieter due to mixer design. The 480 handles QRN a bit better and selectivity wise front end is a tighter too on SSB even when both rigs have opt 1.8khz filter installed. I suspect that 6m is same. What sold me on a 480 was 3 years ago I was up playing with one at a "candy store" and there was a local ham on CW that was thumping front end on a few other rigs there that I was playing with (and cost a lot more too) and 480 was not effected. Never really had a problem with my 570 being thumped but I also by default leave preamp off unless it is really needed.   

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WA4NJY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

W8JX,

Thanks.  That is the info I need.

Ed
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:30:14 AM »

If you down load the Advanced user manual and spend the time to read it over well, you can see the amount of design that went into the 480 over the 570 that makes it so much better for both mobile and fixed uses.
Good luck.
WA4NJY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 06:56:35 AM »

Hi ken,

Thanks for the info. I know the 480 has a lot going for it.  I was thinking about giving six meters another try this summer.
Have been waiting two months for a rig to show up locally.  Decided to take a chance with an ICOM 746PRO. Within a week of buying it, the following rigs are for sale nearby: FT-950, 756PRO and TenTec 6n2.

I am a bit concerned about the service future of my 746, but some well known service techs said don't worry about this late serial number rig.

Anyway, I am on six with a small beam for now.  Will see how it goes.

tnx,
Ed
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »

I have `570SG and I agree with John that it is a noisier front end rig. Even with no antenna connected there is a lot of white noise. The af based dsp does work very well though. I too would go with the `480.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: