Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help programming Yaesu 7900r without software  (Read 3164 times)
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

I'm still awaiting the arrival of my programming cable/software, should be here within a week or so...but I've run into a snag programming it manually. So far I have about a dozen repeaters in there and it is fine setting the offset, plus/minus, pl tones etc... but I've encountered a repeater that doesn't follow the standard shift. How can put in a manual transmit frequency? ie. just to keep the numbers useable for the example, suppose the output is 154.76250mhz but the input is 158.9175mhz, thats a positive shift of 4.1550mhz

But as far as I can tell, the only manual option in the radio option that has that change shift feature outside the normal .5 or .6 only allows xx.xx decimal places of shift (leaving me with only the options to pick +4.15 or +4.20)... which then the radio only transmits at  158.9125 (off by .005mhz) or 158.9625 (off by .045mhz).

Now I assume with the programming software I can just type it in manually like my Wouxon handheld software does on a spreadsheet style... but is there anyway to do this through one of the radios menu option features?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:44:17 PM by GRANDKODIAK » Logged

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
K0ECW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:12 PM »

I really hope you haven't modified your radio to transmit out of band, your programming software may not work if you have.

That said, if you are just monitoring a public safety repeater then just programming in the output frequency should be enough.

If you need a radio for non-amateur frequencies, don't be a cheapskate, get a Part 90 approved radio and be legal.
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:21:55 AM »

No worries... I picked the numbers quasi arbitrarily...just easier with odd numbers like that show 2 significant digits in the khz range makes large gaps in even multiples... yet you can manually tune to any frequency you please to .xxxxx? I just don't get why the auto shifts would be xxx.xxx mhz but the manual shifts would only be xx.xx, thought I was missing something. I know when I first got it I couldnt get into certain frequencies because I had the mhz jump setting too high, in that you can modify the number of khz it skipped while adjusting so you can fine tune or spin the freq fast... figured maybe I missed another setting like that for programming output freq.

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
K0ECW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:23:46 AM »

Just wait for the software to arrive. Once you have the software it is easy to program in the odd splits. You'll wonder why you even bothered trying to manually program the rig.
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 06:24:44 AM »

Hopefully comming in the mail today, seems to be taking forever, guy said the cable shipped first class a week or so ago and they are only a 10 hour drive away...ah well.

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
GRANDKODIAK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »

Figured it out... its called "odd splits" in the radio, for using 2 unique frequencies for those wierd paired repeaters!

Tech/General

no base station yet

Yaesu FT-7900r VHF/UHF
Cobra 29LX CB
Wouxun KG-UV6D VHF/UHF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: